Is This Too Much?

Looking for advice on my current plan . . .

History:
At the start of November 2007 . . . 5’9" 236 lbs.
Started working out in November 2007
Initially just doing cardio on stationary bike
Added light weight, high rep lifting in December 2007
Feb. 29, 2008 . . . 196 lbs. . . . 23% body fat [skin fold test]
Found T-Nation site at start of March . . . started reading . . .
Started making adjustments to lifting programs [thanks!]
Joined web site at end of March 2008
April 2nd . . . retested . . . 194 lbs. . . . 18% body fat
Started Velocity Diet by Chris Shugart on March 31st
Starting Destroying Fat Workout by Christian Thibaudeau on April 4th

Current plans are to drop my body fat down to 12% before going on a different workout program to add muscle to my frame . . . I’m a bit of an old guy [37] to just be getting started in this, but as you can probably tell I’m dedicated even if I am not very knowledgable . . . any advice for an old dog trying to learn some new tricks?

I dont exactly understand the title of your thread but… I would tell you that it would drive me nuts not having solid food for 28 days, give or take a meal every week. At the beginning it sounds nice but after a while it wears down on you. But if you are dedicated like you say it shouldn’t be a problem. On a similar note, good job on losing the weight. That’s quite a few pounds to lose.

1. Being Consistent
  • Day in Day out, week by week, month by month.
    (( with exercise, nutrition, rest ))
    – If you do cheat meals keeping them consistently controlled. [example]
  1. Muscle stimulation and/or realizing what your immediate goals are : in 4 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, a year? Making reachable goals initially. Setting standards for yourself to maintain.

2. Mind Muscle connection ~

3. Understanding the impact of different types of food on your body.
    ** more detailed understanding of carbs and using them to benefit you, simple vs complex

4. Not allowing any negative people to bring you down or get in the way of what you want to accomplish and your work at hand.
    ** remove them from your life, or keep their presence, words, and or interaction to a minimum if cutting them out is not possible.

5. Grasping the difference between moving a weight and moving a weight.
    ** tip : one method involves active and conscious connection between the exercise → the intended muscle → and the muscle engaging from top to bottom ~ [+] & [-] portions of the lift.
    : the other method involves just moving the weight however possible (even with seemingly proper technique/form)

6. Breathing

7. Water intake and not allowing yourself to ever feel thirsty.

8. Knowing that as time progresses and you progress that exercises, diet, and other things are subject to change.

9. Fitness and Health is fluid in nature and can fluctuate overtime as you gain more lean body mass ( the politically correct term for muscle ) and lose fat. Some weeks you’ll feel particularly beat and you may need to tone it down and workout different for a week or two. Perhaps upon waking from your last workout you felt particularly sore with whimpers of DID ANYONE GET THE TAGS TO THE MACK TRUCK that STEAMROLLED ME?! It may be wise to up your protein intake for 24-48 hours afterwards by 25-50% or more.

[[[[[ if it ain’t working, review what your doing ]]]]]

Thanks . . . so far I am a little over a week in and at my one meal on Saturday [took my girlfriend out for a date] . . . spinach and shrimp salad and some nachos for an appetizer . . . I seem to be out of energy at the end of my workouts and am starting to struggle to finish them . . . but I have dropped another 5 lbs. since I started and the weights I am lifting have increased slightly, so it appears that I am not losing muscle in the process . . . at this point I will keep pushing it to see how far I can go with it . . . wish me luck!

[quote]blake2616 wrote:
I dont exactly understand the title of your thread but… I would tell you that it would drive me nuts not having solid food for 28 days, give or take a meal every week. At the beginning it sounds nice but after a while it wears down on you. But if you are dedicated like you say it shouldn’t be a problem. On a similar note, good job on losing the weight. That’s quite a few pounds to lose.[/quote]

Yeah, your question isn’t clear.

But congratulations on your progress, and the fact that you’re actually measuring it. If your measurements are correct, you gained 8 pounds of muscle and lost 10 pounds of fat during March after you found T-Nation.

If those results are anywhere near true, I don’t know why you would switch to a different diet and/or workout.