T Nation

Is This the Newest Most Recent Post?!

Or maybe I’m looking at something wrong? In any case, been on T-Nation a while, and only now doing more forum "meandering. " Coach, trainer, mma/boxing fan, trainee and competitor.

All not really in that order. Life, marriage and work has taken over so now my life is spent living online, training as much as I can in much more limited time. Training has to be efficient for me. That means training boxing, jiujitsu and wrestling IN ADDITION to lifting and conditioning.

What does everyone do? Just wanna see what the busy family pro mma/boxer does with his time these days. What’s the most efficient use of your training hours…and what are they anyways? 2hrs a day, 3? 4 hrs? 1? 3, 5, 7-day training day weeks? Still competing, or have goals to do do?

More of an open-ended question, really want to know if this Combat forum is actually alive…

[quote]one.msa wrote:
Or maybe I’m looking at something wrong? In any case, been on T-Nation a while, and only now doing more forum "meandering. " Coach, trainer, mma/boxing fan, trainee and competitor.

All not really in that order. Life, marriage and work has taken over so now my life is spent living online, training as much as I can in much more limited time. Training has to be efficient for me. That means training boxing, jiujitsu and wrestling IN ADDITION to lifting and conditioning.

What does everyone do? Just wanna see what the busy family pro mma/boxer does with his time these days. What’s the most efficient use of your training hours…and what are they anyways? 2hrs a day, 3? 4 hrs? 1? 3, 5, 7-day training day weeks? Still competing, or have goals to do do?

More of an open-ended question, really want to know if this Combat forum is actually alive…[/quote]

We WERE at least as alive as Schrodinger’s cat. But, now that you have checked you may have doomed us all…

I am not entirely tracking what you are asking. There are a fairly diverse group of posters here, leading to a very diverse amount of goals, schedules, etc.

Are you looking for ideas about time efficiency in your own training?

There are some VERY accomplished, bright, and helpful posters in this sub-forum. Not me though. I think they just keep me around because I’m funny. A more directed question/topic would probably get a better response. Just give it a bit of time, this is not the high traffic zone of T-Nation.

Regards,

Robert A

^^ Looks like he’s just asking a general how do you train questions for example.

I do 2 hrs 3 days a week, because I have a 9 to 5 and need the off days to run my errands.

I don’t train combat so this is just an example.

If you are asking how pro MMA fighters/boxers train, because you are a pro, you need to change up the team of people around you. You should not need to come onto an internet forum to get those kind of answers.

If you are asking as an amateur, then you don’t want to worry about how pros train, because it isn’t relevant to you. Pros make sacrifices that amateurs don’t. This is not always the ‘how bad do you want it’ macho/ego-feeding bullshit. Many, many fighters have disfunctional home lives. If you are a lower level pro, having to work a full time job, then train on top, family life often comes second.

As an amateur, you need to do what all amateurs do, and cut the shit that you can’t cope with out of your routine. If that means you can’t lift, then you can’t lift. Find time for your skill training, and find time for your conditioning. All else is secondary. If you can’t manage that, you are in the wrong team.

Yep! You guys are alive. Thanks Robert for the post, and to the rest of you guys. I realize my questions were definitely vague; I think I wanted to see how active this part of T-Nation really was. Searching the other forums like Sherdog, mmafighting, eastsideboxing, etc, you really have to filter through a bunch of shit.

As far as how to train questions, of course I went to that post…a while ago. I’m pretty satisfied (as much as anyone can be) on the ‘how to train like a pro, like an amateur, and everything in between’ questions. Or at least have some good resources around me. Really just wanted to see who’s out here, at least on the Combat forum.

My questions? Well, I’m already pro, and had your normal life changing shit all take place (like marriage, new demanding job, 2nd pt trainer/coach job) in the same year, causing HUGE lifestyle adjustments, shocks, temper tantrums…etc. Again, was anyone here? Answer: yes. And second, (he grabs the tissue and lotion), how do you homos deal with your random, life altering shit? Answer:…? Use the lotion?

[quote]one.msa wrote:
Yep! You guys are alive. Thanks Robert for the post, and to the rest of you guys. I realize my questions were definitely vague; I think I wanted to see how active this part of T-Nation really was. Searching the other forums like Sherdog, mmafighting, eastsideboxing, etc, you really have to filter through a bunch of shit.

As far as how to train questions, of course I went to that post…a while ago. I’m pretty satisfied (as much as anyone can be) on the ‘how to train like a pro, like an amateur, and everything in between’ questions. Or at least have some good resources around me. Really just wanted to see who’s out here, at least on the Combat forum.

My questions? Well, I’m already pro, and had your normal life changing shit all take place (like marriage, new demanding job, 2nd pt trainer/coach job) in the same year, causing HUGE lifestyle adjustments, shocks, temper tantrums…etc. Again, was anyone here? Answer: yes. And second, (he grabs the tissue and lotion), how do you homos deal with your random, life altering shit? Answer:…? Use the lotion?[/quote]

I am waiting on a helio flight this morning and I havent have much sleep or coffee, so, maybe I am a little dense, but, Londonboxer gave you some really good advise on training. However, I am really not understanding what you are asking. As Robert A pointed out, they are very experienced men /women on this forum. Not quite sure what you mean about “being out here?” If you need specific guidance on any aspect of the combat arts, just ask the question or do a search, lots of info available. " how do you homos deal with your random, like altering shit?" Seriously? Thats a professional speaking? You handle every problem that comes you way like a man, taking responsibility and making the decision to act, whether thats changing you child’s diaper or stomping the life from some filthy insurgent.

[quote]idaho wrote:
I am waiting on a helio flight this morning and I havent have much sleep or coffee,[/quote]
I am glad you are still safe, if poorly caffeinated.

[quote]
whether thats changing you child’s diaper or stomping the life from some filthy insurgent. [/quote]
I am guessing that it is important to not mix these two up…because stomping on a diaper is not going to make you any friends.

Regards,

Robert A

from april to september when i work a 35 hour week i have cash, i try to get an hour of boxing or muay thai in on my lunch and train bjj, wrestling,boxing, and muay thai 6-7 days a week for if i remember correctly what equated to some where in the range of 20 hours a week give or take

during this time i lift no weights.

during school i am poor so i train one discipline 4 times weekly at a training facility. finances permitting this will be upped to 2 disciplines and see my time doubled

due to this low amount i am able to hit the weights every day, play hockey once a week,swim and do road work pad work and bag work however often i please.

OP,
idaho is one of the knowledgable people I mentioned previously. LondonBoxer is another.

[quote]one.msa wrote:
My questions? Well, I’m already pro, and had your normal life changing shit all take place (like marriage, new demanding job, 2nd pt trainer/coach job) in the same year, causing HUGE lifestyle adjustments, shocks, temper tantrums…etc. Again, was anyone here? Answer: yes. And second, (he grabs the tissue and lotion), how do you homos deal with your random, life altering shit? Answer:…? Use the lotion?[/quote]
Is there a certain way I am supposed to be taking the tissue and lotion comments?

If “how do you homos deal with your random, life altering shit?” should be taken as how do you prioritize/manage training with other obligations/stresses it really does boil down to what idaho said.

I would state that the first thing to be is honest. The truth is easier to remember, and there is nothing gained by lying to yourself. So, figuring out what your real priorities are is important, and no one here is going to yell at you for not being “WARRIAR” enough if providing for a family is suddenly more important than learning a new heel hook entry.

If a “demanding job” is listed should I assume that while you are and have been a pro-fighter that fighting is not what puts food on your table? If so, is excelling at your job a higher financial/family obligation than fighting? One of my rules(doesn’t have to be one of yours, I use it to keep myself sane, er…kind of.) is that in the professional world GIVE A DAMN flows the same direction as money. So the boss/customer that pays gets to have the problems that matter. If your job is now in that category than you may have to make changes to your priority list.

If you are recently married, how high is happiness/providing on the priority list now? What is it going to take to be the husband you want to be? Did fighting just get bumped again? This is not likely to be a board where saying “family comes first” is met with anything but congratulations…

Finally, you have trainer/coach job. How serious do you take your obligations as a teacher? How much do you think you owe the person looking to you for guidance? This is a real come to Jesus question “Would you rather win your next 3 fights, or have all your guys win theirs?” The answer will tell you if you are a coach/trainer who has experience as a pro-fighter or a pro-fighter who earns a little extra training. Of course if we may have just bumped fighting down another slot compared to where it was 2 years ago.

Now the thing here is…the only “wrong” answers are answers where you are dishonest with yourself. If fighting is still the most important thing in your life, that may create some serious problems with people who took vows, or pay you to do a job, but if it is the truth than how you order your life should reflect it. However, if you know that it isn’t anymore THAN there is no need for “shocks, temper tantrums, ect…” because you are still doing what is most important to you. And it doesn’t take a whole lot to get excited about the things you actually value most. We can do those with a full heart.

I am going to link to a thread started by one of the other knowledgable, intelligent, and helpfull posters, MissParker regarding fatigue, training, and working a potentially life and death job.

Part of my reply to her was

If you read the short thread you will note I am mostly Archer jokes. Like I said, I think the actual good posters just keep me around because I am occasionally funny.

Disclosure Statement: I am not, nor have I ever been a professional fighter or trainer of such. Also, I don’t think my name and professional co-habitate the same sentence very often. I am often accused of being effective, knowledgeable, hell some mis-guided folks have said expert…but never professional.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:
OP,
idaho is one of the knowledgable people I mentioned previously. LondonBoxer is another.

[quote]one.msa wrote:
My questions? Well, I’m already pro, and had your normal life changing shit all take place (like marriage, new demanding job, 2nd pt trainer/coach job) in the same year, causing HUGE lifestyle adjustments, shocks, temper tantrums…etc. Again, was anyone here? Answer: yes. And second, (he grabs the tissue and lotion), how do you homos deal with your random, life altering shit? Answer:…? Use the lotion?[/quote]
Is there a certain way I am supposed to be taking the tissue and lotion comments?

If “how do you homos deal with your random, life altering shit?” should be taken as how do you prioritize/manage training with other obligations/stresses it really does boil down to what idaho said.

I would state that the first thing to be is honest. The truth is easier to remember, and there is nothing gained by lying to yourself. So, figuring out what your real priorities are is important, and no one here is going to yell at you for not being “WARRIAR” enough if providing for a family is suddenly more important than learning a new heel hook entry.

If a “demanding job” is listed should I assume that while you are and have been a pro-fighter that fighting is not what puts food on your table? If so, is excelling at your job a higher financial/family obligation than fighting? One of my rules(doesn’t have to be one of yours, I use it to keep myself sane, er…kind of.) is that in the professional world GIVE A DAMN flows the same direction as money. So the boss/customer that pays gets to have the problems that matter. If your job is now in that category than you may have to make changes to your priority list.

If you are recently married, how high is happiness/providing on the priority list now? What is it going to take to be the husband you want to be? Did fighting just get bumped again? This is not likely to be a board where saying “family comes first” is met with anything but congratulations…

Finally, you have trainer/coach job. How serious do you take your obligations as a teacher? How much do you think you owe the person looking to you for guidance? This is a real come to Jesus question “Would you rather win your next 3 fights, or have all your guys win theirs?” The answer will tell you if you are a coach/trainer who has experience as a pro-fighter or a pro-fighter who earns a little extra training. Of course if we may have just bumped fighting down another slot compared to where it was 2 years ago.

Now the thing here is…the only “wrong” answers are answers where you are dishonest with yourself. If fighting is still the most important thing in your life, that may create some serious problems with people who took vows, or pay you to do a job, but if it is the truth than how you order your life should reflect it. However, if you know that it isn’t anymore THAN there is no need for “shocks, temper tantrums, ect…” because you are still doing what is most important to you. And it doesn’t take a whole lot to get excited about the things you actually value most. We can do those with a full heart.

I am going to link to a thread started by one of the other knowledgable, intelligent, and helpfull posters, MissParker regarding fatigue, training, and working a potentially life and death job.

Part of my reply to her was

If you read the short thread you will note I am mostly Archer jokes. Like I said, I think the actual good posters just keep me around because I am occasionally funny.

Disclosure Statement: I am not, nor have I ever been a professional fighter or trainer of such. Also, I don’t think my name and professional co-habitate the same sentence very often. I am often accused of being effective, knowledgeable, hell some mis-guided folks have said expert…but never professional.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]

This is spot on.

How much you should train is directly related to how much you can recover from. More is ALWAYS better, unless it is interfering with recovery and performance.

Now, how much someone can recover from is highly individual and related to overall systemic stress. Someone who does nothing but eat, sleep, train, and relax is going to be able to tollerate a much higher work load than someone who is constantly stressed out by a bitchy girlfriend (or lack their of) a stressful job, money worries, kids, living in a high crime neighbord ect ect ect.

I just said that more is always better, but often times less is better if a persons nervous system is in a stressed state. The act of training in combat sports causes a HUGE stress response in the body, and if you aren’t practicing verious recovery techniques to get the nervous system back to baseline as quickly as possible an intense sparing session may leave someone in an elevated state for hours afterwards. During this time recovery isn’t happening, and any further training needs to be pushed back not only past the duration of recovery, but also the duration of the post training stress response.

TLDR Its individual, train as much as you can while making sure you are recovered.

Started martial arts in high school. Started power lifting in college. Got into mma when I was in the usmc. Was a pretty dedicated ammy fighter / law enforcement. Went back to school and got married. Now I work 70-80 hr/wk at a desk, lift twice a week, started judo twice a week with an olympic medallist, and do muay thai drills 1-2 / week. Not a middleweight anymore, would have to cut to make lhw, but I still hit hard enough that I can help train guys to prep for big strong fighters they have coming up.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
Went back to school and got married.[/quote]
I knew about school/the new job from back when the PM system was a bit more stable(I think that was one or two sight upgrades ago), but please accept a belated congratulations on your marriage.

Regards,

Robert A