T Nation

Is This Routine Too Much?

My back is starting to ache again. I’m at body weight on squat/deadlift. Is the below routine too much? I’m seeing good results, so I’d hate to backtrack.

Monday:
squat
deadlift
lat pulls
rows (alt cable or db)
curl
preacher curl
back ext
neck
abs

Thurs:
Dips
Inline db press
oh press
close grip bench-lock outs
side bends
lat flys
shrugs
calfs
neck
abs

the squat + deadlift each day looks tough. If I were you I would drop some of the isolation lifts.

How many sets/reps? Are you training to failure?

I typically do a warm up set and 2-3 work sets of 10 reps

You doing anything for flexability? Short, tight muscles can cause a lot of problems.

You doing anything for flexability? Short, tight muscles can cause a lot of problems.

I warm up and then stretch for at least 15 minutes, more on sq/dl days.

it is hard to tell if your routine is too much or not enough. IF you are doing 3 x 10, then this isn’t too much at all. In fact it is fairly primitive in concept.

Why don’t you try some of Chad Waterbury’s workouts or the Westside 9 week intro (Dave Tate).

You need to learn about how to vary reps and sets to make better gains.

The biggest problem with 3 x 10 is that the amount of weight is limited. You are never working really heavy.

Try at least alternating 3x10 with 10x3 and adding about 30-40% more weight on the 10x3 days.

Try the “Lazy Man’s Guide to Stretching”. It has done wonders for my low back.

DB

My back is starting to ache again. I’m at body weight on squat/deadlift. Is the below routine too much? I’m seeing good results, so I’d hate to backtrack.

Monday:
squat
deadlift
lat pulls
rows (alt cable or db)
curl
preacher curl
back ext
neck
abs

Thurs:
Dips
Inline db press
oh press
close grip bench-lock outs
side bends
lat flys
shrugs
calfs
neck
abs

OK, this routine was an 1 1/2 hrs with warm up & stretching (old bones). Wife hated it. Took out 4 isolation excersices, moved it to 4 a.m. I’m done in 1 hr but very hard to squat so early in the morning. I’m thinking its time for Spike!

you are still not listing weight, sets and reps

Its impossible to tell you anything with just a list of exercises

I don’t know about the rest of you, but as I’ve gotten older (definitely since I passed 30) I’ve had to cut the volume and “go back to basics.” Since it’s worked for me, I’d recommend cutting out almost all of your isolation exercises (don’t worry—your “beach muscles” won’t suffer) and focus on the basics.

Poliquin and others have written that older, advanced lifters are able to generate a lot more force on a given rep than when they were younger and less experienced. The extra force generated cuts into your overall recovery if you keep your volume the same. The end result being that you can get more out of less. I’ve cut my old hour and a half workouts to 35-45 minutes and seen my strength/size improve dramatically. I don’t miss the isolation stuff at all.

To address the lower back problem—I can’t do traditional back squats and deadlifts during the same cycle without incurring lower back issues. Front squats or OHS with DL’s doesn’t seem to cause any problems. You might try doing back squats and DL’s on separate cycles and see if the lower back issues go away.

Heavy side bends with weights can put uneven pressure on one side of the spine at a time, resulting in lower back aches. It has for me in the past…