T Nation

Is this right?

Feel free to add or subtract anything.

Type two is less severe than Type one, but more common. This type occurs when the pancreas can’t make enough insulin and loses its ability to use it. It also occurs when enough insulin is produced but the body cannot use it. It is linked with age, obesity, and a lifestyle lacking exercise."

"Type 2 diabetes is often part of a metabolic syndrome that includes obesity, elevated blood pressure, and high levels of blood lipids. Unfortunately, as more children become overweight, type 2 diabetes is becoming more common in young people.

When type 2 diabetes is diagnosed, the pancreas is usually producing enough insulin, but, for unknown reasons, the body cannot use the insulin effectively, a condition called insulin resistance. "

“Type II diabetes usually occurs gradually. Some 75% to 80% of people with type II diabetes are obese at the time of diagnosis. The disease can also develop in lean people, especially the elderly. Genetics play a large role in type II diabetes and family history is a risk factor. However, environmental factors such as a low activity level and poor diet can increase a person?s risk for type II diabetes. Other risk factors are as follows: obesity; race/ethnicity (African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Native Americans, Asian-Americans, Pacific Islanders); age greater than 45 years; previously identified impaired glucose tolerance; hypertension (high blood pressure); HDL cholesterol of less than 35 and/or triglyceride level of greater than 250; history of gestational diabetes mellitus or babies over nine pounds.”

"Type II diabetes is associated with obesity and with aging. It is a lifestyle-dependent disease, and has a strong genetic component (concordance in twins is 80-90%). The problem seems not so much in insulin production,but that when the insulin reaches its target cells, it doesn’t work correctly.Most Type II diabetes patients initially have high insulin levels along with high blood sugar. However, since sugar signals the pancreas to release insulin,Type II diabetics eventually become resistant to that signal and the endocrine-pancreas soon will not make enough insulin. These people end up managing the disease with insulin and they need much higher doses because they are resistant to it.

When a person takes in a high load of sugar, the sugar stimulates the pancreas to release insulin. The targets for insulin are muscle, fat, and liver cells.These cells have insulin receptor sites on the outside of the cell membrane.For most people, when insulin has bound to the receptors, a cascade of events begins, which leads to sugar being transported from the blood into the interior of the cell. In Type II diabetics, even when insulin is present on the cell membrane, the process doesn’t work. The glucose is never taken up into the cell and remains in the bloodstream."

So you want us to help revise your essay question or something like that? :slight_smile:

Yes, overall what is written is true. I don't think you can say that type II diabetes is less severe than type I. That may be true in some cases, but not in all and it is a judgement call nonetheless, so it should not be included in an informational piece.

Sorry Jason, you are wrong about this one. Type I diabetes is MUCH more severe than type II. Jowst, it all looks good to me, and stating “Type two is less severe than Type one” is not “a judgement call” but fact. If anyone has any doubts about this do some reading on diabetes. Up until a few years ago most type II diabetics didn’t live past 30 or 40, with new faster types of insulin (Humalog), and the trend toward more frequent testing (blood levels), blood sugar control has increased substanually. As a side note, Type II diabetics (as Jowst mentioned) usually have a number of other health aliments which need to be accounted for (if someone is trying to “compare” the two types).

Good work so far, and it is right in line with my lectures on this at A&M. Don’t forget that this can be managed/avoided by 2 things: diet (prevent initial blood sugar problems) and exercise (proven to increase insulin sensitivity).

Go figure…as I tell my classes, “It’s not rocket science, people. Diet and exercise. You know what’s healthy, and you know what isn’t. Do the right thing.”

I agree with kent on this one. Although there are some cases where type 2 is more severe, I think that type 1 is much more “high-maintenance.” Most type 2 diabetics can completely ignore the fact that they have a diagnosed affliction and still live their lives normally. If a type 1 diabetic forgets to take his/her insulin or doesn’t pay attention to his/her diet, he/she may very well die or become extremely fatigued/sick.

Ok, I’ll take my criticism like a man. As a general conclusion, type I is more severe than type II. Personally I don’t like to compare whether some sickness is worse than another one. They are all bad. While I do agree that type I is a very black and white area. Either you have it and it is a very difficult thing you live with or you don’t have it and life goes on like normal.

On the other hand, with type II diabetes, there is a HUGE gray area and that is all I was getting out. Some people have just a mild insulin resistance whereas others have a completely useless pancreas that is burned out from producing so much insulin and tissues that are completely insulin resistant.