Is This Progress?

Im training for strength on the bench press and write down my sets and reps for each WO to make sure I progress every week. For example, 2 weeks ago my reps were 6,6,6,5 on the bench. Last week it was 8,7,6,4 all under the same weight. I usually do each set until or near failure.

My workout Today was unusual though, instead of a steady increase I was hoping for I had gone all out on the first set and hit 9 reps, then 7 reps for second set and on the 3rd set I only got out 4 reps.

I then had to drop 10lbs for my fourth set to hit 5 reps. So it was 9,7,4,<-10lbs>5. So even though ive done less reps and drop the weight on the last set, the total time under tension was less so I think this should increase strength.

So my question is would this be considered progress, or am I better off not going all out on the first set to keep from getting fatigue and keeping the weight the same throughout all sets?

Sets x Reps x Weight Lifted = Total Volume

If total volume increases then you can say you’re making progress.

Now stop thinking so hard.

[quote]MrTangerineSpedo wrote:
Sets x Reps x Weight Lifted = Total Volume

If total volume increases then you can say you’re making progress.

Now stop thinking so hard.[/quote]

Exactly and id say get out of this single progression bow youll stagnate. have a goal say 4x8 or 5x5, when you hit the required resp and sets then raise load. If you have some in the tank left on the first sets save it for the latter sets etc

Look at some of Chad Waterbury’s writing for more on progression etc. Reps, sets, load, rest time reduction etc etc.

Phill

[quote]mike51183 wrote:
Im training for strength on the bench press and write down my sets and reps for each WO to make sure I progress every week. For example, 2 weeks ago my reps were 6,6,6,5 on the bench. Last week it was 8,7,6,4 all under the same weight. I usually do each set until or near failure.

My workout Today was unusual though, instead of a steady increase I was hoping for I had gone all out on the first set and hit 9 reps, then 7 reps for second set and on the 3rd set I only got out 4 reps.

I then had to drop 10lbs for my fourth set to hit 5 reps. So it was 9,7,4,<-10lbs>5. So even though ive done less reps and drop the weight on the last set, the total time under tension was less so I think this should increase strength.

So my question is would this be considered progress, or am I better off not going all out on the first set to keep from getting fatigue and keeping the weight the same throughout all sets? [/quote]

If you are training for strength, then why aren’t you increasing the weight?

As for your last question, yes it is progress, but you should still concentrate on building up to your heaviest weight. So on the first set, stop at, say, 4 or 5. Then add a little weight to the bar, and go for 3 or 4, and then add a little more, go for 2 or 3 etc.

If you are training for strength, on an ME day, you should be looking at heavy sets of 3 or fewer reps.

Good luck, and keep adding the weight!

P.S. One of my favorite strength routines is Waterbury’s Hybrid Hypertrophy.

it is, two weeks ago on your first set was six reps, this time you got off nine reps on the first set. you’ve gotten stronger.