T Nation

Is This Procedure Sterile Enough?

Hi, I’ve been a lurker here for quite a while, but this is my first post.

Any issues regarding sterility with the following?

Empty some ampules into a plastic bottle which ha been sterilized with methanol, then later filter through .2 micron syringe filter into a sterile vial.

I guess it might sound a bit strange, but I have my reasons for doing it this way.

Also, any idea how much i can expect to lose from container transfer/filtration?

Thanks all!

Methanol is not ideal for sterilization and you dont want that stuff in your body in case of remaining residue. Ethanol (140 proof or higher) would be better in my opinion, although this is still not sterile. The filter will work though. Bacteria will get filtered. Viruses are smaller than 0.2um but they usually cling to larger particles so youre ok.

Why not dump the ampules into the sterile syringe and then filter that way?

It really doesnt sound strange at all.

Depending on the filter some can suck up next to nothing and others up to 2ml.

Warm the oil slightly prior to filtering, it will go much eaiser.

Im unsure if methanol should be the solvent of choice to sterilize the plastic bottle, however im sure someone will let you know.

I do wonder who would’ve won between Soda Popinski and Bald Bull.

Using methanol to sterilize the the vial seems like a bad idea…one thing im not sure it would even sterilize it completely, and secondly that shit is nasty and you do not want to be injecting any of it into you, as even small amount can cause blindness. I would try 1:10 househould bleach to water solution for 30 minutes. Thats what we use in the lab for biohazards.

Could he boil it for 10 minutes? Of would it shatter? Could be worth a try, and if it breaks - well its only a couple dollars!

Thanks for the replies… bleach and water…Duh!! I used to brew beer and used the same solution for sterilization… didn’t even think of it!

[quote]Babo wrote:
Thanks for the replies… bleach and water…Duh!! I used to brew beer and used the same solution for sterilization… didn’t even think of it!

[/quote]

same thing hey use in resturants and hospitals for non surgical equipment

I dont like hearing the phrase “sterile ENOUGH”

if you are trying something and deciding whether or not it is sterile ENOUGH i would probably guess that it isnt.

bmc

I would just get a large (say 20 ml) syringe, attach the filter, and empty the vials into the syringe, then directly into the vial…then you won’t have to worry about “jack”

who is that?