T Nation

Is This Overtraining?

1 hour weigth training followed by 3 hours basketball is this overtraining?

I’ll get the ball rolling, I asked a similar question a while back.

How to guage overtraining: If you are making progress, you aren’t necessarily overtraining. Thus, overtraining is very individual and it is hard to tell unless you give us more information - even then it will be difficult. Try and look at what your primary goals are. If it is to get big - cut the basketball. If it is to get big and still train bball - you are in a doozie since these could be conflicting goals and you won’t be able to have the best of both worlds.

How to prevent overtraining: Eat more so you aren’t sore, and make sure you love the 4 hour of exercise that you do - this way you won’t be burning your muscle away with all that cardio and you won’t get bored and depressed in the long run.

Cheers.

[quote]Contach wrote:
I’ll get the ball rolling, I asked a similar question a while back.

How to guage overtraining: If you are making progress, you aren’t necessarily overtraining. Thus, overtraining is very individual and it is hard to tell unless you give us more information - even then it will be difficult. Try and look at what your primary goals are. If it is to get big - cut the basketball. If it is to get big and still train bball - you are in a doozie since these could be conflicting goals and you won’t be able to have the best of both worlds.

How to prevent overtraining: Eat more so you aren’t sore, and make sure you love the 4 hour of exercise that you do - this way you won’t be burning your muscle away with all that cardio and you won’t get bored and depressed in the long run.

Cheers.[/quote]

I agree with the point here about overtraining being personal. Most people dont ever actually “overtrain”. Typically people may hit a low spot in determination, which is only one factor in overtraining. The biggest thing is to monitor yourself. Are you recovering from your workouts? Do you have to drag yourself to the gym? Are you getting more or less weight on your lifts? Raised resting heart rate? Tired all the time?

Now, as far the basketball goes. You can certainly get big and still play bball. You will just have to eat to compensate.

This doesnt make any sense! I think I can see what you are trying to say but loving something wont keep the body from eating its own muscle proteins. If you are excercising this long I would consider a midworkout meal. Cram the surge after weight training and then maybe again in the middle of your Bball, or just a small protein shake a couple hours into your bball. 

Very true on loving it. If you can keep up with the work load, then by all means do so. Just make sure you are eating enough to recover. I think this type of training is what Berardi is getting at with G-flux. 

Josh

Overtraining is relative to your recovery ability, so you tell us, are you overtraining?

lately i have stopped gaining weight. I am not sore when i go to the gym, but i still get sore the day after, and i have been following CW BBB for about 4 months now.

It may be that I do entirely too many 8x3’s, with 80% of my 1RM. I seem to always hit a point in my workout, where i know I put on too much weight, and the next set will probably have me hit fatigue, but i think “quit being a pussy and do it”. So i go ahead and do it. Usually i hit fatigue.

My strength gains are now coming along pretty slowly and i’ve noticed i looked leaner. I wonder if my bulking diet is now a cutting diet? and i Am possibly overworking the CNS by doing SO much heavy work?

4 8x3 exercises a day 4 times a week. with 60s rest(i use the clock). I find it pretty tough, but I just power though it, and i each time i come out, i tell myself i was a pussy and i need to man up.

Great results up until about 2 weeks ago, i hit a wall.

Thanz for the great advice every1