Barbell Rows
T - Bar Rows
Low Rows
Front Lat Pull Down
Reverse Grip Pull Down
Rear Neck Pull Down
Single Dumbbell Row

That is entirely too much

Well how many sets/reps are you doing ???

Deads, T-bar rows, and lat pull downs will work just fine for now (assuming you’re relatively new to lifting). Too many exercises…

General guideline is no more than 4-6 exercises per session. Obviously we are not considering all details here (drop sets, alternating supersets, pre-exhaust, etc etc). But just using regular sets, 4-6 exercises is more than enough.

Any more than that and you really can’t do justice to the movements you’ve chosen with regard to intensity or volume.

One noted exception is adding corrective or rehab/prehab movements. Those are typically low intensity enough that you can add those on top of your 4-6 exercises.

Also, IMVHO, I don’t think 3 exercises is enough to really do justice to your back. There are more muscles in the back than there are anywhere else in your upper body. Unless you’re doing back work 2x or more each week. Then you can get by with 2-3 exercises per back session.

do some chinups to replace all the pulldown crap, barbell rows and deadlifts oughta do it! really, if your working with heavy enough weights that should

[quote]elano wrote:
do some chinups to replace all the pulldown crap, barbell rows and deadlifts oughta do it! really, if your working with heavy enough weights that should[/quote]

my thoughts too. Where are the chins?

Since you’re a beginner, I’d simplify that completely. You’re mid/upper-back workout should probably consist of a single primary rowing movement (either barbell bent over rows, seated rows, or dumbbell rows) and a secondary pull-up style movement (pull ups, lat pull downs). Rep/Set scheme depend on your goals, but your beginner back routine doesn’t really need more than 2-4 different ecersises.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
elano wrote:
do some chinups to replace all the pulldown crap, barbell rows and deadlifts oughta do it! really, if your working with heavy enough weights that should

my thoughts too. Where are the chins?

[/quote]

ya do chins/pull ups but that dosent mean you have to drop pull downs. I start my back workouts with chin/pulls and mid way through do some pulldowns. Also i wouldnt do pulldowns behind the headneck. Its bad for the shoulders.

Chins/pull ups - 25 reps
Deads - 4x6-8
Bentover rows/t-bar (not both) - 3-4x 6-10
pull downs(vary your grip/hand poistion) - 3x8-10
seated rows - 3x 6-10

That is what my general back day looks like. I think For back you have to do a bit more than you do for the rest of the body but not much more that this

I just worked out back/biceps today. My current routine includes:

5 max sets pullups w/ 25 lb plate
3x5 row variation
5x5 dumbell rows
3 max sets pullups w/ 25 lb plate
3x5 row variation (diff. from above)
3x10 face pulls
bodyweight chin/EZ curl/DB curl circuit (x3)

It might seem like a lot, but the total reps is within the good zone for me. I prefer to have more exercises with less sets than only 4-6 exercises at 5x5 or more. I still stick to the basics of pullups and rows for the most part. The pullup grips vary as well, along with the rows. Just my two.

EDIT: Of course, deadlifts are on leg day because I count the lower back as part of legs (posterior chain really). All the upper body pulling really does not put much stress on my low back. I focus more on the pulling motion of my arms versus my back as a physical entity.