Is This Lat Stretch Dangerous?

I have recently realised that I have extremely tight lats and I have been stretching them in a way I created, it is a bit odd but I will try to explain it as best as I can.

I hold onto a door handle and sort of curve my torso and use the door handle as a way to apply more force with the stretch, I hold the handle while ‘pulling it’ if that makes sense and I feel an extreme stretch in the lats and I am worried about how much of a stretch I am getting it feels very deep and as if, if I would apply just enough of a stretch I could literally tear my lat.

Screw that bullshit I just wrote here is a simple explanation:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/images/pics/week67/ask_joe_clip_image006_0000.jpg

the stretch I do is identical except I perform it with a door handle.

Thanks in advance.

nah it’s fine. Injuries from static stretching are about as common as unicorns riding motorbikes.

Not a dangerous stretch by any means. Lats are a large muscle and have quite a strong tie in. That pull you are feeling, if increased could probably strain or cause some pain to the lat, but I do not think the actual muscle would tear or take significant damage from a stretch.

If someone DOES say it can be torn from a stretch, well holy shit I am scared then!

What a coincidence! I just woke up this morning with an aching right lat, I checked at the doctors and I have been told that it is a minor lat strain :slight_smile:

[quote]watermelon29 wrote:
What a coincidence! I just woke up this morning with an aching right lat, I checked at the doctors and I have been told that it is a minor lat strain :slight_smile:

[/quote]

The Dr has special X-ray vision that can diagnose that you have a "minor lat strain?? I mean could of you have not worked that one out yourself?

tweet

[/quote]

caused by the stretch? Well suck me sideways!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

caused by the stretch? Well suck me sideways![/quote]

A friend of mine teared his lat off his ribs (though not completely, but enough for his lat to have a different apperance by the other one) when he tried to stand after a set of leg presses.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

A friend of mine teared his lat off his ribs (though not completely, but enough for his lat to have a different apperance by the other one) when he tried to stand after a set of leg presses.[/quote]

that’s even weirder. How the hell’d he manage that?

Mine is nothing severe btw, in for lat torn of ribs story.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

A friend of mine teared his lat off his ribs (though not completely, but enough for his lat to have a different apperance by the other one) when he tried to stand after a set of leg presses.[/quote]

that’s even weirder. How the hell’d he manage that?[/quote]

Well, he just tried to stand up, so he grabbed the platform and tried to pull himself. Next thing he knows, a popping and cracking sound, and him on the floor not being able to breathe due to the pain. Took him 3 months to recover from that injury.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[/quote]

that’s even weirder. How the hell’d he manage that?[/quote]

Well, he just tried to stand up, so he grabbed the platform and tried to pull himself. Next thing he knows, a popping and cracking sound, and him on the floor not being able to breathe due to the pain. Took him 3 months to recover from that injury.[/quote]

wow, and they say that the leg press isn’t functional. Now we know it’s downright murderous!

As a matter of curiosity, how big is your mate? It seems that bigger dudes find it much easier to tear muscles. I remember hearing about a pro tearing a bicep during a photoshoot putting some dumbells back on a rack.

1/ This is a really good stretch for the lat and associated musculature and should not be dangerous at all. No stretch should be dangerous for the majority of the population.

2/ If you pull or stain a muscle during a stretch then your either getting way too extreme or your doing it dead wrong.

3/ generally speaking unless there is some kind of serious traumatic event (eg slipping on ice, falling off a roof etc) it’s hard to pull a muscle, as the Golgi Tendon complex will not allow you to strain muscles so much that an individual event will tear it.

4/ most of these seemingly weird muscle pulls are the result of repetitive stress issues that people don’t pay attention too until it catches up with them.

5/ stories of bodybuilders tearing pec and bicep muscles and tendons is usually a negative effect of ped’s. Which causes the muscles to grow in strength faster than the connective tissue can and therefore putting excessive stress on the tendons to the point of it’s failure to be able to deal with the demands of the superiorly strong muscle.

6/ doctors telling you that you have strained a musscle is the first response to any minor muscular complaint. Did she/he also give you some anti inflams and or pain killers and tell you to come back in a week or so if your not feeling better?

7/ stretching for the majority of people should be relaxing and beneficial, not stressful and hurtful, unless you in the hands of an expert therapist and or your looking for extreme rom of your joints.

6/ Nope, doctor didn’t give me anything and he said that it would heal in 7 days, to be honest I knew he was bullshitting because a strain would take much longer to heal especially a strain on the lat and the pain is gone, roughly 7 days bit of a coincidence.

I think the doctor knew it was something else but couldn’t be bothered explaining it and told me to take 7 days off.