T Nation

Is this How to Power Clean?

@ 2:45

yes

then what is this?

this guy jumps up on his feet when he power cleans

it requires triple extension…ankles, knees, and hips…all very important…miss one and you’re cutting yourself short or possibly asking for injury

The guy in the video is actually doing that too, it’s just un-exaggerated because he’s basically doing it in slow motion, not as explosively as the guy in the picture. You can see him come up on his toes though.

so gmoore the way the guy did it in the picture was exaggerated to teach people wanting to learn it exactly what to do but the video is what it should look like right?

the clean is ‘easier’ when done fast…it’s difficult to do an explosive movement slow…the more the extensions are ‘exaggerated’ the more you will get out of the movement…this takes a lot of practice

[quote]goldfingers25 wrote:
the clean is ‘easier’ when done fast…it’s difficult to do an explosive movement slow…the more the extensions are ‘exaggerated’ the more you will get out of the movement…this takes a lot of practice[/quote]

This… it should be done as explosively as possible… the guy in the picture isn’t exaggerating the jumping part to show it, he’s just doing it at “regular speed,” which is very explosively. The guy in the video just kind of slowed it down so you can see what he’s doing better, but then of course it’s less explosive.

so the explosive power of the guy in the image takes work to achieve right? you cant be that explosive when you start

[quote]ChocolateChips wrote:
so the explosive power of the guy in the image takes work to achieve right? you cant be that explosive when you start [/quote]

what? The idea is generate movement quickly. How quick you can be depends on a host of factors. but of course you can do it explosive. in fact, trying to learn it slowly may actually hamper future learning.

[quote]ChocolateChips wrote:
so the explosive power of the guy in the image takes work to achieve right? you cant be that explosive when you start [/quote]

Why can’t you?

With the questions you ask, I am really starting to think your brain is made of chocolate chips…

nevermind my question i get it guys

well goldfingers since you put it like that i havent been feeling well recently from:

asthma issues/multiple parasites/low blood count/a recently found out extreme lack of iron/glandularfever/C- something cant remember the name, along with some other stuff

but anyway to the point, my health is not well, im trying to fix it and I sometimes ask odd and awkward questions without realising how dumb they sound till i review my posts, im sorry if I am annoying you people but I am just trying to learn even though my questions are sometimes simply put. fucking retarded. I thank you people for coping with me

Chocolate chip… My suggestion to you is to read everything you can on here. Don’t believe everything you hear obviously but after a while you’ll learn who gives good advice and who doesn’t.

Learn to use the search function and you should be able to pretty much find out anything you want to know. After you’ve read through a lot of the threads and articles you should know who’s advice/input you care for and who’s you do not. I would suggest PMing the guys who give advice that you find informative to ask questions that you might have.

Just a suggestion. Would probably save you the trouble of going through replies that you do not care for.

thanks gregron ill keep that in mind :slight_smile:

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
http://www.allthingsgym.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Weightlifting-Technique-Sequence-Posters-Snatch-Clean-Jerk.jpg[/quote]

Nice find, thanks

*sorry guys just one more question when you power clean, the part where you come onto your toes, is that naturally meant to happen because of the weight you are pulling upwards? or should you jump up on your toes?

*http://www.T-Nation.com/img/photos/2009/09-116-training/03.jpg

you create momentum to move the bar up, by extending the hips, knees, and ankles. its like jumping, but instead of using the momentum to propel yourself into the air you are transferring it to the bar in your hands.

I’ve had the pic on my laptop for ages, was my back ground for a while.

Once the weight gets heavy, you won’t come up onto your toes by any way other than by effort. Shrug up, onto toes, thumbs up sides then receive the bar. Jump on the oly forum if you haven’t already, they will be a much better source than both here and the beginners.