T Nation

Is This Forearm Tendonitis?

I’m still not sure if it is, but…

Basically, probs started a couple weeks ago and did not notice.

I did a warm up set on my BB curls, then went to my heavy set (8 reps), and was fine, then did another and so on (on a lighter weight). Basically when I was onto my incline DB curls I could feel a tension (not a pain, but a weird feeling) in my forearms.

For example, if you turn your arm the other way around (palms facing upwards), the tension was on the tendon presumably that runs to the right of your forearm. I could only ever feel this tension when the weight is released. Other than that I don’t feel any pain or discomfort actually doing the curling action. I am pissing myself now as I don’t want this to be tendonitis as I am progressing so well at the moment.

I may replace the DB inclines with DB hammers next week as I did two sets of those after my inclines and felt nothing (different grip or summin?). Opinions would be great guys. Obviously I have started strengthening my forearms in the last few days just to get them stronger/bigger (wrist rolling - no pain on that or anything either).

It also is in both forearms - not just one, so would that make it less likely to be tendonitis? There is also no pain or discomfort after lifting, and I don’t feel it on any other exercise. I was thinking of replacing inclines with hammer curls as they seemed fine. What do you lot reckon? I could also do the wrist roller without any pain, as I am going to strengthen up my forearms.

Your post is kinda tough to figure out. It might help to point to it on an anatomy chart.

Doesn’t sound like tendinitis, though.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Your post is kinda tough to figure out. It might help to point to it on an anatomy chart.

Doesn’t sound like tendinitis, though.[/quote]

It is around that flexor region (only when I release the dumbbell). Never painful, just a tension of some sort that feels weird when I release my grip.I’m trying not to grip as hard and will replace the inclines with hammers.

It is in the’Flexi carpi ulnaris’ region to be more precise. Both forearms feel the same too lol, which is why I’m not sure it is tendonitis at exactly the same time and place in both forearms. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I got the same thing last week. It’s a common problem, apparently. Do you find it only hurts when you do underhand grips?

Either way, I’ve been trying to avoid irritating it too much during my workouts. There is still a slight pain, but after a week I can almost not feel it.

[quote]w00tage wrote:
I got the same thing last week. It’s a common problem, apparently. Do you find it only hurts when you do underhand grips?

Either way, I’ve been trying to avoid irritating it too much during my workouts. There is still a slight pain, but after a week I can almost not feel it. [/quote]

Yes, I have not noticed it (it’s not pain, just a weird feeling that is verging on uneasiness) on any other movement but curls.

I’d try massaging your forearms with a tennis ball several times a week. Kind of a deep tissue massage to get the muscles to relax.

[quote]QuestionTime wrote:
w00tage wrote:

Either way, I’ve been trying to avoid irritating it too much during my workouts. There is still a slight pain, but after a week I can almost not feel it.

Yes, I have not noticed it (it’s not pain, just a weird feeling that is verging on uneasiness) on any other movement but curls. [/quote]

Mine sort of feels painful when my arm is under tension with an underhand grip. So pulling a deadlift with a one-overhand-one-underhand would cause some discomfort on the arm where I am using underhand. When I keep my arms straight it’s not as bad though, a curl would cause a lot more discomfort.

I don’t feel it unless I am in the process of lifting or releasing the weight.

It sort of feels like it’s very close to, or on the bone between the muscles.

I googled the problem a bit when I ran into it, and someone suggested massaging your forearm with a golf ball. Using your fingers doesn’t work.

I just re-read your post. The symptoms you’re describing sound a bit different from mine - my pain/tension/discomfort/whatever is on the back of the forearm.

If I were you, I’d probably leave it for a week or two, trying not to aggravate it, and if it’s still hurting, maybe see a doctor.

[quote]LiamBrady wrote:
I’d try massaging your forearms with a tennis ball several times a week.[/quote]

I have one of those portable ultrasound machines, shall I use that on the area a couple times a day?

bump for further opinions.

That’s about where I get the feeling.

I’ve been trying to bring my arms up as I’m extremely lower body dominant and have been doing curl variations 2-3x a week. I can tell you that the higher frequency has helped my body get accustomed to it and that my forearms aren’t hurting as much as before. Something that I think has greatly helped in this regard is reverse preacher curls and zottman curls to help build up my forearms/bracchialis (sp?).

I also find the EZ curl bar (as opposed to a BB) to be a little easier on it, as well.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
That’s about where I get the feeling.

I’ve been trying to bring my arms up as I’m extremely lower body dominant and have been doing curl variations 2-3x a week. I can tell you that the higher frequency has helped my body get accustomed to it and that my forearms aren’t hurting as much as before. Something that I think has greatly helped in this regard is reverse preacher curls and zottman curls to help build up my forearms/bracchialis (sp?).

I also find the EZ curl bar (as opposed to a BB) to be a little easier on it, as well. [/quote]

Thanks for the post. I think the general consensus is that strengthening the forearms can do no harm and should ultimately prevent tendinitis. I mean surely if I did have it doing wrist rolling would be tender to say the least?!

Try easing up on the curling volume. Can you do pull-ups or chins? These are great arm builders (chins better for biceps) and may help relieve some discomfort. Almost 100% sure it’s not tendonitis but I’m a far cry from a doctor. Excessive curling volume always irritates me eventually and the pulls and chins crush the curling movements anyway as far as muscle recruitment. Keep using different grips too. Good luck.

[quote]J L Erwin wrote:
Try easing up on the curling volume. Can you do pull-ups or chins? These are great arm builders (chins better for biceps) and may help relieve some discomfort. Almost 100% sure it’s not tendonitis but I’m a far cry from a doctor. Excessive curling volume always irritates me eventually and the pulls and chins crush the curling movements anyway as far as muscle recruitment. Keep using different grips too. Good luck.[/quote]

I am just in the process of buying one of those doorway pull up bars for chins, pull ups, and neural grip pull ups. So, I could do something like 4 sets of chins and 3 sets of BB curls instead? Would that build plenty of mass on those arms? I’m looking for 16’s and am at 15’s currently.

Same here, really bad pain when i let go of the curl bar. Then over the next week it will hurt and ache. What i do is put max preasure on the area that has pain. Basically dig my thumb in hard to the bone on the underside of my arm and run it along the bone.

There will be really really painfull areas, these are the areas i go over again and again for like 2-5 min. Usually i do this a couple times a day for a few days and it dissapears. It hurts like a bitch but i swear it helps. It usually only crops up when i have cut out heavy barbbell curls for a period. Then when i add them back in the pain is there.

[quote]beaul wrote:
Same here, really bad pain when i let go of the curl bar. Then over the next week it will hurt and ache. What i do is put max preasure on the area that has pain. Basically dig my thumb in hard to the bone on the underside of my arm and run it along the bone.

There will be really really painfull areas, these are the areas i go over again and again for like 2-5 min. Usually i do this a couple times a day for a few days and it dissapears. It hurts like a bitch but i swear it helps. It usually only crops up when i have cut out heavy barbbell curls for a period. Then when i add them back in the pain is there. [/quote]

I don’t get pain though…yet lol. Anyway, you should start doing wrist rollers and strengthen the forearm.

beaul wrote:

There will be really really painfull areas, these are the areas i go over again and again for like 2-5 min. Usually i do this a couple times a day for a few days and it dissapears. It hurts like a bitch but i swear it helps. It usually only crops up when i have cut out heavy barbbell curls for a period. Then when i add them back in the pain is there.

I don’t get pain though…yet lol. Anyway, you should start doing wrist rollers and strengthen the forearm. [/quote]

ah, i see now… lucky! How much weight are you able to curl? Hopefully it doesn’t start.

[quote]beaul wrote:
QuestionTime wrote:
beaul wrote:

I don’t get pain though…yet lol. Anyway, you should start doing wrist rollers and strengthen the forearm.

ah, i see now… lucky! How much weight are you able to curl? Hopefully it doesn’t start.

[/quote]

about 40kg/88lbs for a set of 8. So, won’t go any heavier for now until I can do 10-12 reps without any discomfort. IN the mean time I am going to work on chins when my pull up bar comes, and forearm strength.

J L Erwin wrote:
Try easing up on the curling volume. Can you do pull-ups or chins? These are great arm builders (chins better for biceps) and may help relieve some discomfort. Almost 100% sure it’s not tendonitis but I’m a far cry from a doctor. Excessive curling volume always irritates me eventually and the pulls and chins crush the curling movements anyway as far as muscle recruitment. Keep using different grips too. Good luck.

I am just in the process of buying one of those doorway pull up bars for chins, pull ups, and neural grip pull ups. So, I could do something like 4 sets of chins and 3 sets of BB curls instead? Would that build plenty of mass on those arms? I’m looking for 16’s and am at 15’s currently. [/quote]

No!

Don’t get me wrong, chins are good. Pull ups, when done correctly, should hardly do anything for bi’s (same can be said about chin ups, too) Try to keep the pull up variations to focus on the back. If you’re going to do them with focus on the arms, be weary of too much volume or frequency. I recently recovered from bicep tendonitis after about 8 months out because of excessive chin ups.

You can throw in some chin ups when doing arms, but make sure you’re giving your back enough recovery (ie just did back previous day and then you do chins with two 45lb plates attached - not good)

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
QuestionTime wrote:
J L Erwin wrote:

I am just in the process of buying one of those doorway pull up bars for chins, pull ups, and neural grip pull ups. So, I could do something like 4 sets of chins and 3 sets of BB curls instead? Would that build plenty of mass on those arms? I’m looking for 16’s and am at 15’s currently.

No!

Don’t get me wrong, chins are good. Pull ups, when done correctly, should hardly do anything for bi’s (same can be said about chin ups, too) Try to keep the pull up variations to focus on the back. If you’re going to do them with focus on the arms, be weary of too much volume or frequency. I recently recovered from bicep tendonitis after about 8 months out because of excessive chin ups.

You can throw in some chin ups when doing arms, but make sure you’re giving your back enough recovery (ie just did back previous day and then you do chins with two 45lb plates attached - not good)[/quote]

okay thanks for the advice. Supplement wise, I am taking:

Bromelain
Fish oil (about 8-10g a day)
MSM
Glucosamine

Have the same thing.

Hurts with a supinated grip on curls. Hammer curls doesn’t hurt at all. I can also do deadlifts, chins, etc, with no pain.

However, it seems like if I reduce the weight on the barbell curls and do it very slowly and contracted, it doesn’t hurt.

I went to the physio, he said it was trigger points in my underarm. You can massage those out yourself or get treatment for it.