Is This Enough for Legs?

first you say this[quote]eremesu wrote:
if you dont care about the weight you are using and just focus on your muscles working then i think it is safe[/quote]

then you say this [quote]eremesu wrote:
but i dont think you guys should be pushing the deadlift so much. however safe you think it is for you[/quote]

and then this [quote]eremesu wrote:
you tell people theyre a pussy if they dont deadlift 500 pounds [/quote]

WRONG! I would never tell someone they’re a pussy for not deadlifting 500lbs, I would call them a pussy for not even attempting to deadlift say 200lbs because they’re afraid of getting hurt because of what they heard from people like you.

[quote]eremesu wrote:
if you actualy looked through this site and other sites you would find an astonishing number of people who herniated a disc from deadlifting. [/quote]

Probably from someone deadlifting close to/over 500lbs, not from a beginner who’s DL’ing a little over 1.5x of they’re body weight . Very heavy weight or even moderate weight with BAD form will cause injury. Not the exercise itself. I advised him to go LIGHT and work on form. No reason for him to get injured that way. If for some reason he never gets good form, then mabey drop exercise. But I bet if he kept at it, he’d be just fine!

OP. If you chuck in some leg curls before the squats and finish with some light RDLs, then you’ve hit everything. You don’t need to worry about going heavy on the RDLs, just use them for a slow negative and big squeeze to finish off and stretch out the hammies.

I don’t understand why people on here feel the NEED to reply to questions made be either complete retards or trolls.

Wouldn’t it be better to just let threads like these die unanswered to improve the quality of the BB sub-forum?

ps: If the OP is really serious, then he should ask his questions in the beginner sub-forum.

leg curls…dogggggggystyle

better than seated leg curls IMO

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
I don’t understand why people on here feel the NEED to reply to questions made be either complete retards or trolls.

Wouldn’t it be better to just let threads like these die unanswered to improve the quality of the BB sub-forum?

ps: If the OP is really serious, then he should ask his questions in the beginner sub-forum. [/quote]

What’s scary is that many of these people are actually quite serious, and literally do not know better.

I know people IRL who I’ve taken through my leg days. A lot of what I do is based around John Meadows’ style and tons of machine work (extension, leg curls, etc.) When we go to that point one of them said “Whoa, you do these girl machines???” and the other made a snidely “gay” remark similar to OP in this thread. One of them vomited in the workout and the other quit prematurely because he was a pussy.

What I’m saying is not that my leg days are HXC BRO, but there is a very odd prevailing mantra for a lot of lifting bros that somehow just doing “BIG 3/BIG 4” and/or dips, chins, rows and that’s it is the manly way to work out, and it’s the end-all-be-all. That attitude permeates through this site very often as well.

My opinion is, if it takes me 30 whole seconds to type a post, why would I not try to steer someone in the right direction? If they’re trolls, fine. If they don’t want to listen, fine. If it weren’t for the help of others through my lifting career I certainly wouldn’t be where I am today, so I like to ‘pay it forward’ so to speak.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

better than seated leg curls IMO[/quote]

I thought I was the only person who does doggystyle leg curls.

Face down ass up.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:

ps: If the OP is really serious, then he should ask his questions in the beginner sub-forum. [/quote]

What’s scary is that many of these people are actually quite serious, and literally do not know better.

I know people IRL who I’ve taken through my leg days. A lot of what I do is based around John Meadows’ style and tons of machine work (extension, leg curls, etc.) When we go to that point one of them said “Whoa, you do these girl machines???” and the other made a snidely “gay” remark similar to OP in this thread. One of them vomited in the workout and the other quit prematurely because he was a pussy.

What I’m saying is not that my leg days are HXC BRO, but there is a very odd prevailing mantra for a lot of lifting bros that somehow just doing “BIG 3/BIG 4” and/or dips, chins, rows and that’s it is the manly way to work out, and it’s the end-all-be-all. That attitude permeates through this site very often as well.

My opinion is, if it takes me 30 whole seconds to type a post, why would I not try to steer someone in the right direction? If they’re trolls, fine. If they don’t want to listen, fine. If it weren’t for the help of others through my lifting career I certainly wouldn’t be where I am today, so I like to ‘pay it forward’ so to speak.[/quote]

Cool story, bro!

Anyway, I can sympathize with your point a bit but why not simply refer them to the beginners forum or some of the many good articles in the archive. I just think that these stupid posts just unnecessarily clog this forum. Also the “don’t feed the troll” rule applies - see that Ethan guy.

cant tell if i’m serious. i cant touch my toes. is that serious?
you guys can just keep blaming the people that got hurt but at least try to search “herniated disc” “hurt back” in T-Nation and google and just see how common it is. my form was just as good as any pro and better than the ones in competition, but i’m the retard.

okay
i used to deadlift so i cant be a pussy, and i was making very good progress once i stopped doing singles. i could do five smooth reps with 405, always resetting my form before each rep, barefoot, slight back arch. i made great progress from only being able to do one terrible rep with 365.

my stance is still that deadlifting is safe if you mantain completely perfect form, not one nanometer of rounding in the lower back. i am only saying that from the posts you all forget about, this seems to not happen

[quote]eremesu wrote:
you guys can just keep blaming the people that got hurt but at least try to search “herniated disc” “hurt back” in T-Nation and google and just see how common it is. my form was just as good as any pro and better than the ones in competition, but i’m the retard.

okay
i used to deadlift so i cant be a pussy, and i was making very good progress once i stopped doing singles. i could do five smooth reps with 405, always resetting my form before each rep, barefoot, slight back arch. i made great progress from only being able to do one terrible rep with 365.

my stance is still that deadlifting is safe if you mantain completely perfect form, not one nanometer of rounding in the lower back. i am only saying that from the posts you all forget about, this seems to not happen[/quote]

hmm, maybe i should just do romanian deadlifts.

those aren’t as bad on the back, but still an exercise on the posterior chain which you can easily progressively overload. 4 sets, 6-10 2 with moderate intensity 2 heavy ones to failure

Then finish legs with 2 sets of slow 12-15 reps hyperextensions

so my current workout looks like this,

squats, leg press, romanian deadlifts coupled with calf presses and hyperextensions coupled with cable crunches, to save time.

looks pretty good, going to do this the next workout.

anyways, about not having good enough warm ups, i don’t go to failure on all sets, for example last session looked like this

50 kg, 8 reps easy

80 5 reps easy

90 5 reps moderate

95 5 reps moderate

100 5 reps heavy

100 5 reps heavy

100 5 reps heavy

so i think my joints are ready by the time i get to the really intense sets

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:

[quote]eremesu wrote:

okay

my stance is still that deadlifting is safe if you mantain completely perfect form, not one nanometer of rounding in the lower back. i am only saying that from the posts you all forget about, this seems to not happen[/quote]

hmm, maybe i should just do romanian deadlifts.

those aren’t as bad on the back, but still an exercise on the posterior chain which you can easily progressively overload. 4 sets, 6-10 2 with moderate intensity 2 heavy ones to failure

Then finish legs with 2 sets of slow 12-15 reps hyperextensions

so my current workout looks like this,

squats, leg press, romanian deadlifts coupled with calf presses and hyperextensions coupled with cable crunches, to save time.

looks pretty good, going to do this the next workout. [/quote]

Being perfectly serious here… when you get eventually get your ego in check, do a few sets of hamstring curls before your squats.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

better than seated leg curls IMO[/quote]

I thought I was the only person who does doggystyle leg curls.

Face down ass up.[/quote]
oh yeahh stretch it out real hard make it hurt

I did 6 working sets of it yesterday (not cool enough for FST7 yet) before hitting RDLs…I won’t be able walk to properly for days

Depends on how you do the squats and how you do the leg press.
Describe your form. Squat- Low bar, wide stance, spread the floor, vertical shin squat? Leg press; High on platform?
Why avoid isolation? 2 sets of knee extensions and a leg curl that are long-ish in set duration prior to both multijoint exercises could help in the warm up process.

hahaha

so you can do deadlifts safetly? been watching a little strongman lately and got really motivated to start deadlifting again, but i don’t want to screw my back up.

also is it ok having it after leg press and squat?

do you have a form video that you would suggest i watch and learn? i watched a video of mark rippetoe teaching it. basically he says start with the bar above the top of your feet, then grab the bar and bend you knees till your shins touch the bar, then pull.

I do my stiff legged deadlift with 65pounds db… lol