T Nation

Is This Enough for Legs?

squats, 7 sets, 2 of those are warmup
leg press, 5 sets, 2 of those are heavy warmups

for muscle balance in legs, do i need to add in some isolations?

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:

for muscle balance in legs, do i need to add in some isolations?[/quote]

That’s enough for quads. What are you doing for hamstrings?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

That’s enough for quads. What are you doing for hamstrings? [/quote]

x2. But i’d do more exercises with less sets

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

damn, thats exactly what i didn’t want to hear. either i have to put my back at risk with deadlifts or look ghey doing that lying leg curl.

any suggestions on what to do for posterior chain?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

damn, thats exactly what i didn’t want to hear. either i have to put my back at risk with deadlifts or look ghey doing that lying leg curl.

any suggestions on what to do for posterior chain?[/quote]

Do Romanian Deadlifts, keeping the lower back tight, pushing the butt out and hinging at the hips put your lower back at risk? If not, I suggest those.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Well fuck me I put my back at risk and look gay every leg workout I do

[quote]zraw wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Well fuck me I put my back at risk and look gay every leg workout I do[/quote]
If you do look gay, at least you don’t have a weak back or suffer from extreme pussyitis. Op, unless you have injuries that legitimately prevent you from doing so there is no reason why you shouldn’t deadlift, and many reasons why you should. Do you also suffer issues with overhead pressing because it will destroy your shoulders, or don’t squat to depth because it is bad for the knees?

Sounds like you’re somewhat of a beginner, I’d highly recommend doing Christian Thibadeau’s Escalating Density Training Canadian Bear Style program. His program answers your question, “depending on how you’re feeling on a training day.”

Man Up perhaps?

S

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Oh, then just stick with squats and leg press. I don’t want you to hurt your back or embarrass yourself at the gym. Besides, if you ever plan on competing, judges don’t even look at the back half of your legs anyway…it’s pretty ghey, ‘nom sayin’?

You seem to have a track record of dumbass posts, OP.

Still, to answer your question, you obviously need more hamstring work, as everyone else has said. If you think deadlifts and leg curls are the only two things that hit hamstrings, you should really read more.

Personally, I love back extensions with a focus on stretching and contracting the hamstrings and glutes instead of low back. I just did those today with band resistance and my hamstrings are toast.

That said, quit being a pussy and deadlift.

[quote]anonanon wrote:

Still, to answer your question, you obviously need more hamstring work, as everyone else has said. If you think deadlifts and leg curls are the only two things that hit hamstrings, you should really read more.

Personally, I love back extensions with a focus on stretching and contracting the hamstrings and glutes instead of low back. I just did those today with band resistance and my hamstrings are toast.

That said, quit being a pussy and deadlift.[/quote]

stopped doing back extensions since i had problems using more than two plate, one would just slide off.

my squat form has actually improved since i stopped doing deadlifts a couple of months ago don’t know if its related tough.

my form is off tough, it seems that no matter what i did, if i pushed myself my upper back would round.

i have anterior pelvic tilt maybe that got something to do with it?

oh well, if squat and leg press dont train enough posterior chain i pretty much have to do deadlifts then.

Should i do sumo or conventional when i want to focus on posterior chain? or should i do the romanian ones, what do you suggest. obviously its up to me, but i want to know what you would choose.

[quote]anonanon wrote:

That said, quit being a pussy and deadlift.[/quote]

stopped doing back extensions since i had problems using more than two plate, one would just slide off.

my squat form has actually improved since i stopped doing deadlifts a couple of months ago don’t know if its related tough.

my form is off tough, it seems that no matter what i did, if i pushed myself my upper back would round.

i have anterior pelvic tilt maybe that got something to do with it?

oh well, if squat and leg press dont train enough posterior chain i pretty much have to do deadlifts then.

Should i do sumo or conventional when i want to focus on posterior chain? [/quote]

You don’t need to use a million pounds on the back extension. Do them slow and controlled with a good stretch at the bottom and a hard contraction at the top. I rarely go above 3 25lb plates when I do them, but I always do 10-15 good reps and I absolutely feel it afterwards.

For deadlifts, do whichever suits you better - there are some guides to determine which stance you should do based on proportions, but ultimately it’s whichever works better for you. That said, don’t disregard options such as RDLs and SLDLs.

Edit: Slight upper back rounding happens on the deadlift with heavier weights. No one ever does a tough set with textbook form. Lower back rounding is what you need to look out for.

WTF is going on in here?

There are two very alarming parts of this thread…

1.) What is “ghey” about leg curls? So, every bodybuilder in the history of man that has improved his hammies to an impressive degree is “ghey?” Stop being such a narrow-minded moron, seriously.

2.) Two warm-up sets for squats. . . ??? Even if you are only squatting 225 (which, sorry to be quite frank but based on your apparent knowledge I’d be very surprised if you’re doing any more than that,) that’s still very little warm-up and “priming” for your joints and tendons for a “non-ghey” movement like squats.

But then again, maybe warming-up to a full and proper extent is just GHEY and OP is waaaaaay ahead of… every other bodybuilder, ever.

Warming up is GHEY…check!
Foam rolling is for QUEERS…check!
Leg Curls are for FEMMES…check!
And Sissy squats…well don’t get me started!

and Not Deadlifting = no homo…right?

OP, seriously like STU said, “MAN UP”. If your a beginner, then no beginners like to squat and deadlift. You need to learn. Lower the weight and get your form in check. Warm up properly and keep at it until it doesn’t hurt your back or what ever else your worried about. Just work on your form 1st, then increase weight accordingly.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

I’m guessing your gym doesn’t have a Prowler so get on a treadmill that’s off. Lean into it and PUSH. Like you’re pushing a car. 5 sets of 30 sec should do it for glutes, hams and calves. I hated to deadlift but i started really lite. Worked on form by looking in the mirrors ( I know that’s ghey) and added a little weight every workout. In six months I no longer have back problems. I still hate deadlifts but they are part of my man up workout.

If you find Leg curls gay, which is hilarious but whatever… do GHR’s, you’ll probably do a set of them though and make another lame excuse as to why not do them. And I’m not even going to suggest you do Good Mornings, because in your mind that is probably the definition of “gay” … bending over with a barbell on your back.

You might want to change your way of thinking, or else your posterior chain is going to remain puny

i love the leg curl, but still hesitate to lie down ass up in the gym directly in front of people on the treadmills.
i hurt my back on the deadlift on the first rep of my five rep set. i only did good smooth reps with moderate weight and tried to keep a slight arch in my back.
if you dont care about the weight you are using and just focus on your muscles working then i think it is safe,

but i dont think you guys should be pushing the deadlift so much. however safe you think it is for you, if you actualy looked through this site and other sites you would find an astonishing number of people who herniated a disc from deadlifting. i dont know if the number of complaints about this kind of injury just appears to be random to you guys, but to me it feels like a conspiracy. you tell people theyre a pussy if they dont deadlift 500 pounds, they hurt their back, they tell you they got hurt and then you give them encouragement to rehab and get back to deadlifting.

[quote]eremesu wrote:
i love the leg curl, but still hesitate to lie down ass up in the gym directly in front of people on the treadmills.
i hurt my back on the deadlift on the first rep of my five rep set. i only did good smooth reps with moderate weight and tried to keep a slight arch in my back.
if you dont care about the weight you are using and just focus on your muscles working then i think it is safe,

but i dont think you guys should be pushing the deadlift so much. however safe you think it is for you, if you actualy looked through this site and other sites you would find an astonishing number of people who herniated a disc from deadlifting. i dont know if the number of complaints about this kind of injury just appears to be random to you guys, but to me it feels like a conspiracy. you tell people theyre a pussy if they dont deadlift 500 pounds, they hurt their back, they tell you they got hurt and then you give them encouragement to rehab and get back to deadlifting.
[/quote]

Can’t tell if serious…

“Personally, I love back extensions with a focus on stretching and contracting the hamstrings and glutes instead of low back. I just did those today with band resistance and my hamstrings are toast”

i agree with that and the other talking about going slow. Forget going heavy it leaves you finding ways to unload.
I use 2 X 25 lbs start with hold set about 70-90 sec you should feel it as a pre-exhaust, fallowing slow reps till near exhaustion, let go of 1 25 lbs do more reps till near exhaustion add 1 more set.

I am 54 and i would not use warmup heavy or not for leg press. Have you been injured?
Being carefull with lower back might be wise but on leg press i have no clue what you are afraid of.