Is This DL Goal Feasible?

Hello T-Nation.

This is probably going to be a pretty stupid sounding thread, but I’m gonna post it anyway. Tough noogies.

Anyway, I want to go from deadlifting 170kgx8(which I did last friday for a very solid set) to deadlifting 240kgx1 in 16 months. Now, I’m not all that familiar with PLing so what I’m asking is, is this feasible in 16 months?

My gut says, hlell yeah, but my gut has been wrong before. I’d need to do it while maintaining weight, but I’ve got some spare fat to lose so I have room to add about 10kg of muscle mass while staying sub 90kg if I diet down properly.

Right now I’m about 93kg with circa 20%bf, I’m 17 and been lifting seriously since january this year. Most of that time has been spent losing weight.

This is quite doable, isn’t it? Oh, and how much, if anything, would a deadlifting suit add to my pull?
Please excuse the rambling nature of my post, I’m in quite a hurry.

theres too many variables to say if it’ll happen for sure, thats a hell of a long time for things to happen, both good and bad…anyways, it’ll probably only have to be about a 30kg increase, so that should be very feasible

if you’re just chasing numbers, you could probably almost do it now, with a suit, belt and wraps…but that doenst mean you’re actually stronger for it

(note play safe, form always first! dont redo mine and many others mistakes of overreaching before we’re ready or extending beyond what good form will allow)…train smart balls out, know what exercises to go to failure at and what not to (just because at your age and on for quite some time i didnt)

[quote]brian.m wrote:
theres too many variables to say if it’ll happen for sure, thats a hell of a long time for things to happen, both good and bad…anyways, it’ll probably only have to be about a 30kg increase, so that should be very feasible

if you’re just chasing numbers, you could probably almost do it now, with a suit, belt and wraps…but that doenst mean you’re actually stronger for it[/quote]

You must not know much about gear. If you think someone could immediately get 30kg out of a suit and belt, you’re fuckin nuts. I know people who are very experienced with gear that only get 30 POUNDS from their suit…and who the fuck wraps knees when deadlifting?

Prefectly achievable tbh. The only thing I’d be concerned about it you trying to diet down when you’re training for it. 16 months is a very long time, so getting your weight under control during that period shouldnt be a problem tho. Just don’t try and lose it too quick!

Masonator, in perspective, if hes 30 kgs off, this is about 65 lbs…if he even gets 30 lbs out of a suit, hes now only 35 lbs away from a 16 MONTH GOAL…combine that with belt and wrist straps(sorry meant *straps, obv not knee *wraps) assuming that his current numbers are completely raw as there is no mention of wrist straps, taht could definitly make a 35 lb difference for someone…

besides…i said almost…the point is if hes only 65 lbs away roughly right now, with a peaking program, some equipment, it should be almost attainable in very short order, much less than 16 months

Holy shit, not even a year lifting and you’re pulling 170x8? You are one strong motherfucker. Keep at it.

See the muscular contraction you want should be similar, because of the weight on the bar. Similarity between maximal overload, and progressive overload you see.

[quote]brian.m wrote:
Masonator, in perspective, if hes 30 kgs off, this is about 65 lbs…if he even gets 30 lbs out of a suit, hes now only 35 lbs away from a 16 MONTH GOAL…combine that with belt and wrist straps(sorry meant *straps, obv not knee *wraps) assuming that his current numbers are completely raw as there is no mention of wrist straps, taht could definitly make a 35 lb difference for someone…

besides…i said almost…the point is if hes only 65 lbs away roughly right now, with a peaking program, some equipment, it should be almost attainable in very short order, much less than 16 months[/quote]

Sorry for being hasty…misunderstood you a little. I think this goal is definitely attainable, but like Hanley said, weight loss could be a factor.

Definitely doable, especially since you are young.

Suits add anywhere from 0-100 lbs to the lift, sorry for the big range but that is how it is. You would probably get about 25 lbs out of one.

I can pull 185kg x 6(fucking hard) with suit bottoms.

Straps up for a single I’ve done 241kg.

You’re probably not that far off at all. Go and get it!

Yeah, I agree, you can do it.

You can do it!

[quote]Laughing Man wrote:
I can pull 185kg x 6(fucking hard) with suit bottoms.

Straps up for a single I’ve done 241kg.

You’re probably not that far off at all. Go and get it![/quote]

What suit is that in??

In an Inzer fusion. Not sure how much the straps give me, but the suit bottoms don’t give me that much. Straps might give me 10kg? I pull conventional.

I think that in 16 months you will easily surpass your goal if you stay healthy and train consistently.
You are still very young and a relative beginner. This means you have a lot of room for improvement.
And pulling 170x8 shows you’ve got good specific strength in this lift.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you are repping 240 in 16 months.

[quote]tommy teen wrote:
See the muscular contraction you want should be similar, because of the weight on the bar. Similarity between maximal overload, and progressive overload you see. [/quote]

lolwut?

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
Hello T-Nation.

This is probably going to be a pretty stupid sounding thread, but I’m gonna post it anyway. Tough noogies.

Anyway, I want to go from deadlifting 170kgx8(which I did last friday for a very solid set) to deadlifting 240kgx1 in 16 months. Now, I’m not all that familiar with PLing so what I’m asking is, is this feasible in 16 months?

My gut says, hlell yeah, but my gut has been wrong before. I’d need to do it while maintaining weight, but I’ve got some spare fat to lose so I have room to add about 10kg of muscle mass while staying sub 90kg if I diet down properly.

Right now I’m about 93kg with circa 20%bf, I’m 17 and been lifting seriously since january this year. Most of that time has been spent losing weight.

This is quite doable, isn’t it? Oh, and how much, if anything, would a deadlifting suit add to my pull?
Please excuse the rambling nature of my post, I’m in quite a hurry.[/quote]

Something as easy as dialing in your form can add significantly to your deadlift. Find a dude who’s lifting what you want to lift (and doesn’t look like a jackass while doing it) and pick his brain.

Thank you for the words of encouragement guys. I’m going after it. I’ll post updates along the way.

I’m just learning how to use a loose suit and it’s given me 50 lbs.