T Nation

Is This Discrimination?

Jordan Ramos, Hawkeye Woman, Says Iowa City Union Bar Discriminated Her For Weight

s-Citizen reports.

Jordan Ramos, 21, describes herself as a plus-sized woman, but she never imagined her weight would become an issue at Union Bar, a downtown Iowa City establishment, where bouncers would deny her the option of dancing with her friends atop a small stage – twice.

Ramos visited the bar on March 3 and again on April 4 and experienced the same discrimination both times, she said. The second time, a bouncer allegedly told her she couldn’t dance because she was "obviously pregnant.

“They knew I was not pregnant; it was their way of calling me fat without having to actually say it,” Ramos told ABC News.

And according to Ramos, other plus-sized women have had similar experiences.

The woman reached out to the Human Rights Commission in Iowa City, but according to the organization weight discrimination isn’t illegal, ABC News reports.

But that’s not stopping Ramos from taking a stand for herself and others.

“I understand that obesity is unhealthy, and I’m not condoning it,” she told the Daily Iowan. “What I am trying to do is say that we are all human beings, and we all deserve to be treated equally.”

The Iowa City Press-Citizen reached out to George Wittgraf, the owner of Union Bar, who said he was not familiar with the situation but disapproved of the employee’s alleged behavior.

Nevertheless, Ramos is planning a rally in front Union Bar on May 4, where she says she hopes to ensure the bar not only makes a formal commitment to prohibit any form of discrimination in the future, but issues an apology to anyone who’s received sub-par treatment in the past, the Daily Iowan reports.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/30/jordan-ramos-university-iowa-bar-discrimination_n_1464666.html

[quote]therajraj wrote:
The second time, a bouncer allegedly told her she couldn’t dance because she was "obviously pregnant.[/quote]

Sounds like a pretty shrewd bouncer, hope management rewards him for it

Fuckin’ whiny bitch.

So a bigger chick was dancing on a table or somethin? She was told to get off of it?

Makes sense

Let’s not break the table and possibly injure folks

Seriously why all the biggest bitches the first standing on tables…

I’d like to see the stage she wanted to dance on. Is it re-enforced for “plus sized” dancers?
Is there a building code for that?

i think skirts should have size limits. i also think the general public would not find fatty girls dancing, so why would they need to display that shit

Weight discrimination isn’t illegal because you can do something about being fat. Instead of fighting ‘fat oppression’, she should use this as motivation to lose weight.

I don’t think any form of discrimination should be illegal for a private business. It’s your business, you should have the right to say ‘no members of the Hut clan allowed’.

I find it hilarious that she is fighting for the right to be sexually objectified. Basically she went up there as unpaid entertainment, the men there weren’t fans so she was told to get off.

It’s bad business letting unattractive women dance on a stage. Men don’t want to see it and aren’t going to stick around to watch it. Men might leave the bar/club and you lose money on drinks. She should get over it.

Tell her to get over it. The world is unfair, and she is fat.

[quote]TigerTime wrote:
Weight discrimination isn’t illegal because you can do something about being fat. Instead of fighting ‘fat oppression’, she should use this as motivation to lose weight.

I don’t think any form of discrimination should be illegal for a private business. It’s your business, you should have the right to say ‘no members of the Hut clan allowed’. [/quote]

I thought most businesses reserved the right to refuse service? Or are there limitations on that?

No, when I get my big ass up on a bar and bouncers tell me to get down, I don’t see the discrimination (obvious I’m handsome so it has nothing to do with that) because of my weight, except for the fact that if I fall off, it’s not going to be as easy for me to crowd surf at 280 as it is for a girl weighing a buck and pennies.

We need a vid of her dancing next to the skinny birds. Only then can we make a sound judgement.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I find it hilarious that she is fighting for the right to be sexually objectified. Basically she went up there as unpaid entertainment, the men there weren’t fans so she was told to get off.

[/quote]

Objectified?

What if she(like most strippers) is an exhibitionist? stripping is give and take with the dancers getting hot as much as the customers. At least any good stripper gets off on performing anyway.

Sexually objectified? Not possible unless participant is unwilling

This is like a Lisa Simpson thing to do.

She’s shit disturbing.

She knows she’s overweight but wants to fight about it.

Pretty sure there is no right to dance on a stage, particularly if you aren’t being compensated for it.

They actually held a protest and the bar apologized.

I think will have done her favour. She would only had ended up crying when people started making fun out of her.

I process and investigate discrimination claims for a living, and I am sensitive and perceptive to discrimination and allegations of such.

This claim is total bullshit.

It would never go anywhere with any human rights agency, equal opportunity commission, or lawsuit. But anything can get legs in the media. It may be a customer service issue, and now a publicity issue, but it is certainly not a discrimination or legal issue.

See, This is what happens when everyone gets a trophy…