Is This Chicken Alright to Eat?

I cooked up some chicken breast last night, and I forgot to put them in the refrigerator before I went to bed. They were out in the open and not covered at all. Are they alright to eat?

no345

Unless you’ve got bug problems, no worries. I leave stuff out all the time…I don’t like the way refrigeration changes the consistency of some foods.

Yeah, it’s fine. It’ll take about a week for left out chicken to go bad, provided it’s been fully cooked and uncontaminated since leaving the oven. I’ve actually experimented with this. It depends on moisture level in the cooked chicken, but a week is playing it safe for most chicken. If it’s super-moist then I’d give it a couple days. Or you could just put it in the fridge…

Jake,

One night should be fine. What you don’t want to do, is heat it, cool it, heat it again, etc. This will cause growth periods for whatever nasties may be living on that breast. Even worse would be to fluctuate hot and cold, then freeze the meat (this will cause bacterial spores, you don’t want that). I have to make sure though, you ARE cooking your chicken, right? If this was raw, we would be talking a completely different game…

Your other thread is looking better, much improvment. I am glad to see that you are asking some good questions and listening to advice.

TAKE CARE,

yeah, I am cooking it. Thanks for the responses.

im sure its still good. Ive eaten some pretty nasty meat. Even if its bad, just scrape the mold off and its edible. Thats my reasoning.

Nothing survives a few minutes in the microwave, but I still keep mine in the fridge.

I just came home to my freezer wide open and a week’s worth of cooked food (and then some) all thawed. The posts which explain that it is ok to keep meat out of the fridge are news to me. I threw the semi-cold meat into the fridge. Think it will be ok to eat? Best test is smell, right?

Ive done that before lolll i just threw myne away i was scared

[quote]jazzitup.bk wrote:
Nothing survives a few minutes in the microwave, but I still keep mine in the fridge.[/quote]

No.
When I was a kid I used to stick bugs in the microwave and watch them die. Cockroaches can survive 10 minutes on high! I don’t believe trying setting the time any longer.

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
jazzitup.bk wrote:
Nothing survives a few minutes in the microwave, but I still keep mine in the fridge.

No.
When I was a kid I used to stick bugs in the microwave and watch them die. Cockroaches can survive 10 minutes on high! I don’t believe trying setting the time any longer.[/quote]

Well… they do say that if we nuke ourselves to death, the world will end but the cockroaches will be fine.

The food safety guidelines would say no, it’s not OK to eat, but I find those guidelines incredibly strict. I have left meat out all night as well, and was fine. I’ve eaten chicken with a little pink in it.

If nuked:

Humans die at 1,000 rads (degrees of radiation)
A cockroach dies at 20,000 rads
A fruit fly dies at 64,000 rads
A parasitic wasp dies at 180,000 rads
The bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans dies at 1.5 million rads except when frozen, when its tolerance doubles. The bacterium is found in elephant and llama dung.

You’re welcome :wink:

I wouldn’t eat it. I have had food poisoning and it’s absolutely horrific. I just would not take a chance. You can probably eat it and be okay but maybe not.

[quote]TKEmemphis wrote:

The bacterium Deinococcus radiodurans dies at 1.5 million rads except when frozen, when its tolerance doubles.[/quote]

Conan the Bacterium, that one.

If everything on earth ceased to exist due to some catastrophe it would still be there.