Is this Bullying?

I mean being over weight is the new norm what can us healthy people expect. Taking care of your body and looking good is bullying in itself too because me looking good, like how a man is supposed to makes them look bad. I am such a mean person taking care of myself.

Nowhere in his email did he call her fat, portly, porky, mover n shaker, whoa here comes the earthquake, Mrs. Jiggles, more rolls than a bakery, a whole lot of fun bags or lard ass. He said that with obesity being the number one health issue in Northern America maybe you should think about your appearance and what example it sets in society? Cause you’re seen EVERYDAY.

People need to take responsibilty for their weight…it’s about time. 42% of Americans will be obese by 2030. HOW the FUCK would this ever be a good thing? Oh no just ignore it though, and tell off anyone who questions your lifestyle with tact and sincerity.

[quote]FrozenNinja wrote:
I am pretty upset by this…because this is NOT…bullying. Obesity is a terrible problem in America. It is slowly destroying our country by the diseases and conditions it causes. I agree if you are in the public eye you have a responsibility to your audience to set the right example. (Unless your weight is your schtick, actors/comdeians and whatnot)

Was the email offensive to her? Probably. Rude? Maybe. But a little taste of the truth might be good for her. Heck she kept saying how she was so unaffected by the email but choked back tears towards the end of the segment. Yeah…we believe you…[/quote]
I think this is in fact a form of bullying. I think what has happened is that so many people have bombarded us all with the message that bullying is bad, so when we see something like this that doesn’t look nearly the big deal this cunt is making it out to be, we say “oh no, that isn’t bullying because that wasn’t bad and bullying is BAD.”

I don’t really see what the big deal is with bullying. So what if you get bullied, or someone you know gets bullied? It’s just a fact of life that there are always going to be people who are timid, quick to feel victimized, passive and so forth, and there are people who are always going to take advantage of this. We were all created equal and all that bullshit, but we shouldn’t have to behave the same and we shouldn’t try to stamp out the sort of behavior we don’t like. Rather than flip out about bullying (not saying you are, just people in general seem to) we should be teaching those who are victims of it to deal with it in a constructive, healthy manner, rather than try to get everyone to create this massively impossible shift within the entirety of humanity to go against the grain of our instincts just so some fucking dweeb doesn’t feel intimidated or uncomfortable.

So while I think this was a form of bullying, as stated in a previous post, I don’t think that has to mean that this has the same sort of negative connotation that most people seem to assign to “bullying”. People should start realizing that the world isn’t this sweet, innocent place and that you are going to go through life feeling intimidated, uncomfortable, weak, scared, alone, ganged up on, conspired against and a whole slew of other emotions that we’d all probably just rather avoid. But we can’t avoid that shit and I don’t think it creates a healthy individual when these sorts of emotions are avoided instead of faced head-on.

Basically, bullies are an essential part of the “ecosystem” that society is. We may not like them all that much but there’s nothing wrong with them at all. They’re an integral part of society because they are the people who do not allow the meek to escape the harsh realities of an imperfect world despite all of certain groups’ best attempts to insulate the meek from them. Take them away and the whole ecosystem goes entirely out of whack.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

I am pretty upset by this…because this is NOT…bullying. Obesity is a terrible problem in America. It is slowly destroying our country by the diseases and conditions it causes. I agree if you are in the public eye you have a responsibility to your audience to set the right example. (Unless your weight is your schtick, actors/comdeians and whatnot)

Was the email offensive to her? Probably. Rude? Maybe. But a little taste of the truth might be good for her. Heck she kept saying how she was so unaffected by the email but choked back tears towards the end of the segment. Yeah…we believe you…[/quote]
I think this is in fact a form of bullying. I think what has happened is that so many people have bombarded us all with the message that bullying is bad, so when we see something like this that doesn’t look nearly the big deal this cunt is making it out to be, we say “oh no, that isn’t bullying because that wasn’t bad and bullying is BAD.”

I don’t really see what the big deal is with bullying. So what if you get bullied, or someone you know gets bullied? It’s just a fact of life that there are always going to be people who are timid, quick to feel victimized, passive and so forth, and there are people who are always going to take advantage of this. We were all created equal and all that bullshit, but we shouldn’t have to behave the same and we shouldn’t try to stamp out the sort of behavior we don’t like. Rather than flip out about bullying (not saying you are, just people in general seem to) we should be teaching those who are victims of it to deal with it in a constructive, healthy manner, rather than try to get everyone to create this massively impossible shift within the entirety of humanity to go against the grain of our instincts just so some fucking dweeb doesn’t feel intimidated or uncomfortable.

So while I think this was a form of bullying, as stated in a previous post, I don’t think that has to mean that this has the same sort of negative connotation that most people seem to assign to “bullying”. People should start realizing that the world isn’t this sweet, innocent place and that you are going to go through life feeling intimidated, uncomfortable, weak, scared, alone, ganged up on, conspired against and a whole slew of other emotions that we’d all probably just rather avoid. But we can’t avoid that shit and I don’t think it creates a healthy individual when these sorts of emotions are avoided instead of faced head-on.

Basically, bullies are an essential part of the “ecosystem” that society is. We may not like them all that much but there’s nothing wrong with them at all. They’re an integral part of society because they are the people who do not allow the meek to escape the harsh realities of an imperfect world despite all of certain groups’ best attempts to insulate the meek from them. Take them away and the whole ecosystem goes entirely out of whack.[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying…at least your logic. But what happens when bullying goes wrong? When kids get hazed/bullied so bad they get killed? There has to be a line somewhere…but her particular situation isn’t even that far in my mind. (And I got bullied a lot in school but stood up for myself everytime so it stopped happening.) I would go as far to call her situation “Constructive Criticism.”

[quote]orion wrote:

These comments are depressing.

Apparently the world is full of complete and utterly limp wristed …

Excuse me while I wash the taste of acceptance, tolerance and understanding from my mouth, if I had read any further I would have started lactating.
[/quote]

I like how, just skimming the first few comments, I saw several that said something along the lines of “I would rather see a full-figured celebrity as a role model then some anorexic expletive” It is apparently perfectly okay to curse at and belittle someone with an eating disorder that results in weight loss, but obese people get fancy, PC terms like “full-figured”

Last time I checked, the health problems from being obese are just as serious (death, long-term and sometimes irreversible health problems, etc) so why are the comments about her needing to lose weight censored, but ones using derogatory terms to refer to people with other serious eating disorders allowed to stay up?

I also like how, according to the comments, the only two options are to be “full-figured” or “an anorexic & bulimic airhead*”

*The comment I got that quote from has received 47 votes as of my typing this.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
As she was talking about all the support she was getting, all I could think was, “God, there must be SOOO many fat people in the US these days.”[/quote]

I thought I was going to meet my future wife at a library but now I keep meeting fat chicks.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Basically, bullies are an essential part of the “ecosystem” that society is. We may not like them all that much but there’s nothing wrong with them at all. They’re an integral part of society because they are the people who do not allow the meek to escape the harsh realities of an imperfect world despite all of certain groups’ best attempts to insulate the meek from them. Take them away and the whole ecosystem goes entirely out of whack.[/quote]

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying…at least your logic. But what happens when bullying goes wrong? When kids get hazed/bullied so bad they get killed? There has to be a line somewhere…but her particular situation isn’t even that far in my mind. (And I got bullied a lot in school but stood up for myself everytime so it stopped happening.) I would go as far to call her situation “Constructive Criticism.”[/quote]

When a kid gets killed because he/she committed suicide is different from when a kid gets killed when things go too far.

In the case of suicide, that is not so much an indictment of bullying as it is an indictment of the victim’s ability to cope with things. The fact is that many people get bullied to a pretty severe degree and not many commit suicide. So I don’t think there is a strong correlation there. I do think there is a strong correlation between people who get bullied and people who are not well-adjusted to life or society or whatever, and I think there is an even stronger correlation between these sorts of people and suicides. The solution is to become well-adjusted by whatever means is necessary, be it therapy or a more active social life or simply getting of your comfort zone and meeting new people at a place you’ve never been to.

When things go too far is entirely different. There are all sorts of things that go too far that result in deaths, and at a FAR greater rate than bullying-related deaths of any sort. Take speeding, for instance. You can certainly take that too far and die, or drunk-driving as well. You can kill someone else instead too. But we EDUCATE people who break the law and speed; we don’t just turn around and make the speed limit 65 everywhere and then mandate that every single car on the road have a governor setting the car’s max speed at 65mph. We outlaw the behavior, but we don’t take every possible step to eradicate speeding entirely, which is a step I think people ARE taking when they say they want to just outlaw all forms of bullying and enact really harsh punishments for even a minor form of it in order to prevent the few deaths that they can.

Personally, I don’t think that’s such a bad idea when it comes to driving. But my point is that rather than just force society to erase the potential danger by illegalizing it right out of existence, such as criminalizing any and all forms of bullying (which might, in the short term, create a drop in bullying-related deaths), we should teach people how to not take things so far.

Like I said earlier, bullying actually has its place in society, as crazy as that sounds. Killing people does not have a place in society. But we don’t stamp out every behavior that may lead to murder or accidental death. Many murders are committed between lovers, yet we don’t disallow relationships. And I think relationships are much closer to what bullying is than dangerous behavior that may lead to death such as fighting or driving at 120mph. There is a very clear, quantifiable correlation between those actions and death. I don’t think the same holds true at all for bullying.

I guess the distinction I am trying to make is that there is a difference between behavior or action by people that is negative (such as bullying), that is positive (sexual relationships) and that is unhealthy for yourself and/or others. The state has every interest in preventing you from engaging in behavior that is definitely unhealthy for those around you. Bullying is negative, but it is not unhealthy. In fact, for parents, it can be a teachable moment and should be treated as such, rather than something that is so horrific that any and all measures should be taken to prevent your child from ever having to experience it again.

I’ll say this as well. I think that the more we encourage people to face bullying head-on and do whatever you can about yourself to prepare for future incidents, the less bullying we’ll end up seeing.

Fuck, we’ve probably all bullied someone in our lives, right? I know I have. And you know what fucking sucks the most when you’re bullying someone? When that person suddenly starts handling your bullying pretty well. People bully because they like the reaction they get and the attention they deflect away from certain things about themselves and deflect toward an almost fabricated personality.

If a bully is met with someone well-prepared to deal with him, in whatever manner that may be, all of a sudden the focus is on the bully and how HE will react to this reversal of fortunes, which forces his true self to come closer to the surface. Bullies do not like this possibility, so all it takes is one or two encounters like this and all of a sudden the bully moves on to someone else. After a while, when this keeps happening to him, maybe he wises up and realizes, hey, you don’t have to be a fucking dick to everyone all the time.

that bitch needs to lose weight

I had to stop watching it halfway through, because that’s how annoyed her tirade got me. She’s on a news channel, if she isn’t used to “mean” things being said, she shouldn’t be working in the public eye.

Also, as pointless as that guy’s email was, he wasn’t “mean” at all. Was it a stupid email? yes. Was it worthy of a 4 minute segment on ANY self-respecting news station? Nope.

I want to have sex with her while she eats a ham sandwich

1. She wasn’t bullied. She’s just using a word with completely negative connotations to make what the other guy said become impotent. It’s an old debating trick.

2. The guy’s email said she had a public responsibility. BULLSHIT! We’re not all going to fall for that are we? Do we actually think young girls in the broadcast area of that TV show will become fat because they’ve seen this woman on TV? Would we accept anyone later telling us they got fat because of seeing Jennifer’s “example”?
    He sounded like Reverend Lovejoy’s wife…“Won’t someone please think of the children!

I love how the comments were disabled on the youtube page that was posted by the station.

I personally think the email was not a bully comment. It was a fact she is over weight. But I also think he had no right to tell her that. I tend to think this is a combination of someone over stepping there opinion and her being overly sensitive and politically correct. After all show is about ratings.

In a sense, yes. Bullying= Being a dick in order to upset, get an emotional reaction, humiliate etc.

Is it the kind of bullying that I think people should make a big fuss over, NO!

Also, from the the dudes POV, if he honestly approaches other individuals with the same social conscience…well…fair play…he’ll probably lose a few teeth a long the way, but, at least with true consistency comes a certain sense of genuine regard/integrity. Though, I doubt that was his true intent/motivation here.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
As she was talking about all the support she was getting, all I could think was, “God, there must be SOOO many fat people in the US these days.”[/quote]

exactly what i was thinking, and i also had to stop watching about 2min into it. Agreed it was a dick email, but i actually thought it was fairly sensitive to her fatness.

My facebook feed has had a bunch of ppl supporting her, i dont understand what’s happening to society.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

exactly what i was thinking, and i also had to stop watching about 2min into it. Agreed it was a dick email, but i actually thought it was fairly sensitive to her fatness.

My facebook feed has had a bunch of ppl supporting her, i dont understand what’s happening to society. [/quote]
Preparing to deserve a mass ‘cleansing’?

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Lots of fatties and also lots of people that just can’t fucking wait to be totally non-prejudice in every possible way. It’s ridiculous. The over-sensitivity of this country makes me want to barf. Don’t call people fat, it’s bullying. Don’t call people asian or black, that’s racist. Don’t say anything, someone might get offended. What the hell happened?

LOL at “and yes, I MAY be obese on some doctor’s chart.” No honey, you’re obese. No need for qualifiers there. And you can say as forcefully as you want that this didn’t bother you, but you are lying through your teeth. You don’t bring an email to the attention of your employer, get a 4 minute segment on it and have your husband post the email on Twitter if it doesn’t bother you.

[quote]i_am_ketosis wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Lots of fatties and also lots of people that just can’t fucking wait to be totally non-prejudice in every possible way. It’s ridiculous. The over-sensitivity of this country makes me want to barf. Don’t call people fat, it’s bullying. Don’t call people asian or black, that’s racist. Don’t say anything, someone might get offended. What the hell happened?[/quote]

What happened? This ridiculous narrative that we are all equal, yet special snow flakes at the same time, being shoved in the face of our youth and as an extension the parents of that youth. This laughable ideal that no one is better than anyone else. The insane agenda that society can construct fairness in a world that is by its very nature very very unfair.

And before anyone jumps on the equality part of my post. We are equal in the eyes of the law, in the eyes of judgment of our reaction to our environment. We are not equal otherwise. Because if we were, I’d be getting paid $35m to play linebacker and play in a symphony orchestra.

Trying to construct equality other than in the eyes of the law only erodes our freedom, destroys the brilliance of our individual self expression, and leaves the world devoid of the advancement diversity brings.

Unmitigated acceptance of any behavior, irrelevant of effect on the citizenry, is constructed equality.