Is This Beginner Routine Legit?

So, using the same 3 day full body split from before (in the same “ABA BAB” format), here is another extremely similar version of the original workout routine with a few very small additions made to it.

Workout A

1. Squats
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.
    2 minutes rest between sets.

2. Bench Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

3. Rows
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

4. Triceps Press Downs
    1 set of 10-12 reps.

5. Calf Raises
    1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.
    1 minute rest between sets.

Workout B

1. Deadlifts
    3 sets of 6-8 reps.

2. Pull-Ups (or Lat Pull-Downs)
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

3. Overhead Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 8-10 reps.

4. Biceps Curls
    1 set of 10-12 reps.

5. Abs
    1-2 sets of 10-12 reps.
    1 minute rest between sets.

Here Is the link ti the full article

For a begginer yes, i had great success with something similar. Do the exercises well with good form and make sure you are progressing each session and you will be fine.

Im going to asssume the goal is building muscle, diet is going to be massivly important.

2 Likes

Sure, looks fine. Strange that you bypassed the ~3700 some odd articles here to post another routine, but it looks fine all the same.

Oh, and don’t be a dummy. Track your training, beat the logbook, and come back here when that stops working!

3 Likes

That’s what came out googling something along the Lines of 3xweek beginner, can’t recall the exact phrase😂

I like it. Its definitely a beginner program. However, if you are a true beginner you could probably ride something like this for several months or more. Some people think 3 days a week is plenty but I’ve always been in the 4+ day camp. Can you add in some non weight training but still calorie burning activities on your off days? IE. sports, long walks or jogging, manual labor activities etc

Only thing missing that is crucial to beginner’s routine IMO is a single-leg exercise like split squats or lunges. Maybe also some lateral raises. No reason you can’t move curls to your A day and add lunges + lateral raises to B.

I also think it’s never too early to start periodizing during your week just to make sure you’re hitting a variety of rep ranges. This could be something like:

Monday: 3x8-10
Wednesday: 5x4-6
Friday: 2x12-15

If your shoulders are not a problem I would try doing dips rather than Tricep press downs if it’s only one set. Then trying to add a rep each time or add weight eventually using a dip belt.

Not really, even 3 days Is pretty much due to my job

OP if you are a beginner and want to work 4 days, this routine would work fine as a 4 day ABAB

I would never do your A and B in two consecutive days. There are major muscles that would be worked two consecutive days.

I agree with this, but personally dont think this would be an issue for a complete beginner.

I think the link to the posted program is an every other day approach.

2 Likes

Good point. 4 workouts over 8 days would work very well.

I suppose “Beginner” needs defined.

If a gymnast started lifting weights, with his coordination of his muscles he is only a beginner to adding added resistance to his program. Actually not much of a beginner. (I know this is the extreme case, but I want foul lines when attempting to being specific.)

If a video gamer who never played any sports started lifting weights, he is most definitely a beginner. He is too uncoordinated to overtrain anything. (The other foul line.)

So, IMO, without actually seeing the guy training we don’t know when he might risk overtraining.

1 Like

Yep. Use proper form, and a full range of motion.
The reason I advise about Range is because I once did not do full range and managed to tighten myself up wayyyyy too much. So don’t do that!

Best of luck!

(I only read the first reply sorry if I missed something)