T Nation

Is this Anxiety?

hey guys im not even sure if you would call this anxiety but i have a little problem. I used to have a suttering problem it wasnt too bad but it was noticable.

Now its preety much gone and my speech is preety good, but i cant stop worrying about it. Its manly because of my job, I am constantly talking to people and parents and running classes and introducing myself so im basically always talking to the public.

I rarely if ever stutter but for some reason i keep worrying im going to, i mean i can talk to random people and girls and its no problem at all, but the thought is making me go nuts.

For some reason i cant stop worrying I might stutter even though it never happens and its mostly when i have free time i think about it, When im busy it neevr happens but when like im in class thats all i think about.

Im going to go insane if i dont make it go away. So after that long ass post how would someone basically stop thinking and worrying about it. Also its not like a depression type it its jut like a worrying thought

Affirnations???

You could use the worrying thought as a trigger to start the new thought, ‘I have perfect speech’.

I do this with junk food, if i think about junk food i use it as a trigger to think about eating clean food.

Well done on ridding of the stutter anyway

[quote]paul496 wrote:
Affirnations???

You could use the worrying thought as a trigger to start the new thought, ‘I have perfect speech’.
I do this with junk food, if i think about junk food i use it as a trigger to think about eating clean food.

Well done on ridding of the stutter anyway[/quote]

haha thaks i guess that could help, the worst thing is i never do it so its like i worry for no reason

anyone else have any ideas??

Everyone has something they worry about when around people. Especially when your sitting in class. Whether it’s a studder, braces, zits, etc. The thing you have to remember is that most of these things will change for the good and it won’t even be an issue, you will completely forget about it.

You seem to be in the stage where your just waiting to forget about it.

A few more positive things might have to happen to you for you to feel more confident and completely forget it.

[quote]crod266 wrote:
anyone else have any ideas??[/quote]

Go to a cognitive behavioral therapist or a marriage and family counselor. They can help.

[quote]ready wrote:
Everyone has something they worry about when around people. Especially when your sitting in class. Whether it’s a studder, braces, zits, etc. The thing you have to remember is that most of these things will change for the good and it won’t even be an issue, you will completely forget about it.

You seem to be in the stage where your just waiting to forget about it.

A few more positive things might have to happen to you for you to feel more confident and completely forget it.[/quote]

I have braces, and I used to freak about talking or smiling with them. The only time I go into paranoia mode is after eating. And for good reason, that shit can look scary!

I imagine having a stutter would be embarrasing and cause nervousness and anxiety and I can see how you would still worry about it. I don’t know if it’s anxiety, that could be part of it. It also sounds kind of like an unwanted irrational troubling thought characteristic of obsessive compulsive disorder.

Do you do anything compulsively to aleviate the thoughts and anxiety? If it is causing you a lot of distress then see a therapist. I like the cognative behavioral therapist idea. I have not done it personally but I have heard good things about it.

Sometimes as good or better results than medication and believe me exploring other options is a good idea before taking pills. Good Luck with whatever you do. These kinds of mental struggles are a bitch.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
ready wrote:
Everyone has something they worry about when around people. Especially when your sitting in class. Whether it’s a studder, braces, zits, etc. The thing you have to remember is that most of these things will change for the good and it won’t even be an issue, you will completely forget about it.

You seem to be in the stage where your just waiting to forget about it.

A few more positive things might have to happen to you for you to feel more confident and completely forget it.

I have braces, and I used to freak about talking or smiling with them. The only time I go into paranoia mode is after eating. And for good reason, that shit can look scary![/quote]

That pic makes me stutter! But I digress… yes you should see a therpaist that can offer some coping mechanism’s. I once knew a guy that freaked when he drove over high bridges. Complete all out panic attacks (sweating, palpitation’s, disorientation.)

His psych. doctor gave him a bottle of xanax and told him to keep them in his pocket, BUT only in a worst case scenarion was he to EVER use them. He’s had the same bottle of xanax in his pocket for 5 years now. (I know most guys would have gobbled them up in 3 days.)

But he swears that just knowing they are in his pocket has more or less cured him. I guess knowing that has given him security and a coping mechanism.

Hell… your in a class of great people who have overcome stuttering (Mel Tillis, Bo Jackson, etc.)Good luck.

cognitive behavioral therapy is good stuff.

there are a few different terms for what you are experiencing thought-wise.
ANTs=Automatic Negative Thoughts is one acronym

consider the following though.

think about your track record now.
have you had any breakthrough “episodes” (for lack of a better term) of stuttering?
based on that data how likely is it really, to start occurring again?

also think about the last time worrying about something prevented it from happening.
so why worry?

paul496 has an excellent suggestion by the way, replace the negative thought with a positive.

hope this helps.

[quote]chilco wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
ready wrote:
Everyone has something they worry about when around people. Especially when your sitting in class. Whether it’s a studder, braces, zits, etc. The thing you have to remember is that most of these things will change for the good and it won’t even be an issue, you will completely forget about it.

You seem to be in the stage where your just waiting to forget about it.

A few more positive things might have to happen to you for you to feel more confident and completely forget it.

I have braces, and I used to freak about talking or smiling with them. The only time I go into paranoia mode is after eating. And for good reason, that shit can look scary!

That pic makes me stutter! But I digress… yes you should see a therpaist that can offer some coping mechanism’s. I once knew a guy that freaked when he drove over high bridges. Complete all out panic attacks (sweating, palpitation’s, disorientation.)

His psych. doctor gave him a bottle of xanax and told him to keep them in his pocket, BUT only in a worst case scenarion was he to EVER use them. He’s had the same bottle of xanax in his pocket for 5 years now. (I know most guys would have gobbled them up in 3 days.)

But he swears that just knowing they are in his pocket has more or less cured him. I guess knowing that has given him security and a coping mechanism.

Hell… your in a class of great people who have overcome stuttering (Mel Tillis, Bo Jackson, etc.)Good luck.

[/quote]

i know what your saing thanks but the thing is is that i have overcome it i dont sutter anymore but i just sometimes worry about it for no reason thats my problem

The only advice I can give you is this,

You don’t stutter anymore. It was something you did in the past.

Soon, you won’t worry about stuttering anymore. It will be something you did in the past.

Confidence develops with experience. Time is a slow teacher, but it is a great teacher.

Good Luck

Crod, this is an old post but I had to throw my .02 in on this one. Bro, why in the hell are you worrying about this? Who cares if you stutter or not. I mean think about it. You are worrying about something that isn’t a big deal. So what if you do it still or don’t do it. It’s stuttering! If you start thinking like that then you won’t have any issues.

What’s the WORST that can happen? The worst that can happen is that you stutter on every word you say. I work with a guy like that and he’s one of the greatest guys I know. Nobody cares that he stutters. BUT, since you don’t stutter every word (or hardly ever) then let it go. Now if you start losing your hair or growing a tumor on your leg THEN you need to start worrying. Life is too short man, enjoy what time you have on this place and let it go. Take care.