Is This An Okay Routine?

I’m trying to up my conditioning and get stronger. The ultimate goal is to build a good looking body by getting better athletically. So would this routine work:

Monday: Weight Training
Tuesday: Conditioning
Wednesday: Weight Training
Thursday: Conditioning
Friday: Weight Training
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Off

I don’t have time to workout on the weekends because of my current work schedule.

Weight training days consist of one of the following full body routines, all done on a 5 x 5 scheme. After I weight train I usually do some light steady state cardio for 20~25 minutes. I cycle through these routines:

Workout A:
Back Squat
Single Arm DB Bench Press
Single Arm DB Row

Workout B:
Single Led RDL
Military Press
Chest-Supported Row

Workout C:
DB Lunges
Bench Press
Weighted Pull-Up

Workout D:
Sumo Deadlift
Single Arm DB Shoulder Press
Bentover Row

The conditioning routine is the deck of cards training routine I got from rosstraining.com. Basically, I take a deck of cards and assign a conditioning exercise (push ups, burpees, box jumps, double unders, jumping jacks, dumbbell swings, pull ups, etc.) to a color. I draw a card and do the number of reps the card shows (face cards are 10 and aces are 11).

So do you think I can achieve my goals with this routine? Or is it too much? I know I’m sort of jamming all this into just the weekdays but those are the only times I can consistently workout.

Looks pretty good. Just make sure you eat enough and get plenty of sleep.

Unless you’ve been doing the same routine for a while and need a change for the sake of change I’d only change one thing.

From my (limited) experience it works best to do the most exhausing stuff involving the biggest loads first so you might want to move the order of exercises around a little and do unilateral stuff at the end of the workout. Like put the bentover row before the one-arm shoulder press.

I would also alternate vary your rep and set schemes as well maybe pick three and they will then change as you change w/os and you will gauge progress as you repeat that day

I would also say fear not some smaller isolation/assistance work AFTER youve done the meat and taters

Phill

Thanks guys for the tips. I’m going to rearrange the weight training exercises by order of intensity.

What do you recommend for set/rep schemes other than 5 x 5?

http://www.musclewithattitude.com/readTopic.do?id=651322

tons of them. 3x8-10, hell 5 x 10, 3 x 15, 2 x 20, 10 x 3, 8 x 3 pull a ton of singles pick three that are varied from high, mid and low rep and get er done

Phill

Okay so I’ve modified the workout a bit based on the recommendations I received. Let me know what you guys think. The conditioning stuff will remain the same by the way, I’ve only modified the weight training part:

Workout A:
Back Squat
Single Arm DB Row
Single Arm Incline DB Bench
Bicep Curls
Hip Abduction
Hip Adduction

Workout B:
Military Press
Chest Supported Row
Single Leg RDL
DB Shrug
Cable Swiss Ball Crunch

Workout C:
Bench Press
Pull Up
DB Lunges
Wrist Curl
Wrist Extension
DB Pronator/Supinator

Workout D:
Sumo Deadlift
Bentover Row
Single Arm DB Shoulder Press
Internal Rotation
DB Single Leg Calf Raise
Reverse DB Single Leg Calf Raise

I still plan on cycling through these workouts. I now have fixed loading parameters on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. That way I should, in theory, be able to hit each workout with every loading parameter. The loading parameters are:

Monday:
Compound Movements: 5x5
Isolation Movements: 3x10

Wednesday:
Compound Movements: 3x8
Isolation Movements: 2x15

Friday:
Compound Movements: 2x12
Isolation Movements: 1x20

So what do you guys think?

Id bump friday to 2 x 20 but other then that let er rip[ see what happens

Phill

Do you have a reason for all the forearm work? Why are you doing the hip adduction/abduction? What is the DB pronator/supinator?

I’m just curious.

I personally prefer to have some olympic lifts in my program.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Do you have a reason for all the forearm work? Why are you doing the hip adduction/abduction? What is the DB pronator/supinator?

I’m just curious.

I personally prefer to have some olympic lifts in my program. [/quote]

I have the forearm work because my forearms are severally lacking. Adduction and abduction is for completeness since I didn’t feel I was giving them any decent attention. The DB pronator/supinator is similar to this but with a DB:

I’ll make it 2x20 and I’ll see how this thing turns out.

Thanks everyone for the help!

[quote]bluestreets wrote:
Chewie wrote:

I’m just curious.

I personally prefer to have some olympic lifts in my program.

I have the forearm work because my forearms are severally lacking. Adduction and abduction is for completeness since I didn’t feel I was giving them any decent attention. The DB pronator/supinator is similar to this but with a DB:

I’ll make it 2x20 and I’ll see how this thing turns out.

Thanks everyone for the help!

[/quote]

Well, you learn something new everyday.

One thing you might consider is that you will be getting a really good forearm workout if you don’t use wraps. I will admit, I never have done any forearm work (except grip). I also think that you should replace at least 2 of the forearm exercises with some focusing on larger muscle groups.

Also, you might consider doing some form of squat three times a week. I say this because you are lifting on MWF and I am assuming that you are in the beginner stage.

You said that you wanted to become a better athlete. That is why I mentioned olympic lifts. Remember,you will probably be changing this up in a couple weeks.