T Nation

Is This a Realistic Goal???

Hello!

Is this photo i have attached a realistic goal. This is the size i would like to be. If i stick to my diet and train hard 3 times per week can i acheive it? Or is this a unrealstic goal?

I am currently 13 Stone, 6ft 3". 14" Arms, 40" Chest, theres a pic on my profle…

I have posted a topic earlier and i am now going to a full body programme 3 days per week. Similar to the Westside one.

I am not sure if i will have to consider heavy weights and low reps or light weights and high reps?

Diet
Morning - (7am)
Smothie, consisting of 1 banana, 5 strawberries, kiwi fruit, 1/2 cup oats 1/2 cup all bran, scoop of protein Pro/mx.

Dinner (1pm)
Chicken sandwich, salad, wholemeal bread

Pre Work out - (5.30pm)
Protein drink, rice cake,4 wheatabix

Post Work out - (7pm)
Protein drink

Evening meal - (7.30pm)
Chicken, turkey or steak, greens, wholemeal bread.

Night (10.30pm)
Protein drink

Thankyou again

Fordy

Yes, it shouldn’t be too hard to reach that level.

That picture was in one of the first articles I ever read on T-Nation:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=917176

There, several of the authors have a round- table discussing how to give hollywood actors a muscular appearance in a short amount of time.

I can’t imagine that you’ll have much trouble if you try to achieve that as your goal.

Thanks.

Would i need to eat more, eat less change my diet?

Also would i need to lift heavy weights and low reps or light weights and high reps to reach such a level?

Thankyou

p. this is my current size after 8 months of and on, with no diet and a split 5 day plan.

I am changing this to a 3 day plan when i find one and sticking to a good diet.

Fordy

Thanks.

Would i need to eat more, eat less change my diet?

Also would i need to lift heavy weights and low reps or light weights and high reps to reach such a level?

Thankyou

p. this is my current size after 8 months of and on, with no diet and a split 5 day plan.

I am changing this to a 3 day plan when i find one and sticking to a good diet.

Fordy

Well… to answer your first question, you should definitely eat more. Ryan Reynolds is very lean in that picture, but he also has some muscle on there. By eating more you will be able to add considerably more size. As far as your question about light weight/ high reps or heavy weight/ low reps, I would say just to pick a program and stick to it. Keep up with the workouts AND work hard while eating well, you will see noticeable changes. Good luck on your goal and just keep working hard.

Yes, you need to eat more and put on muscle mass to achieve the goal you’re going for.

You should use the Superhero workout posted in the article (linked above) and eat more food to gain muscle size!

Thanks for the reply. I’ll give it 12 weeks as report back with pics…

Ryan Reynolds must have done some intense ab work to get a stomach like that!

Thanks

I have chosen a plan, show below - can anyone please explain what these exercises are???

Arnold press, Barbell power shrugs, Romanian deadlift, Cable triceps extension, Decline dumbbell triceps extension, Low-pulley crossover.

PLAN.

WEEKS 1-4
Monday (Shoulders conjugate/Traps heavy)
A. Seated dumbbell press?4 x 6-8 reps
B1. Upright rowing?3 x 10-12 reps
B2. Seated incline lateral raise?3 x 10-12 reps
C. Arnold press?3 x 8-10 reps
D. Lateral raise?1 x 100 reps (take pauses if needed)
E. Barbell power shrugs?5 x 5 reps

?Tuesday (Quads/Hams/Biceps/Triceps)
A1. Back squat?1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 8, 1 x 20
A2. Romanian deadlift?1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 15
B1. Barbell curl?3 x 6-8 reps
B2. Close-grip decline press?3 x 6-8 reps
C1. Preacher curl?3 x 10-12 reps
C2. Decline dumbbell triceps extension?3 x 10-12 reps
D1. Hammer curl?3 x 12-15 reps
D2. Cable triceps extension?3 x 12-15 reps

?Thursday (Traps conjugate/Shoulders heavy)
A. Barbell shrugs?4 x 6-8 reps
B1. Haney shrugs (behind the back shrugs in the Smith machine)?3 x 10-12 reps
B2. Upright rowing?3 x 10-12 reps
C. Standing calf machine shrugs?3 x 8-10 reps
D. Rear delt machine?1 x 100 reps
E. Military press?5 x 5

?Saturday (Chest/Back)
A1. Incline bench press?3 x 6-8 reps
A2. Bent over barbell rowing?3 x 6-8 reps
B1. Flat dumbbell bench press?3 x 10-12 reps
B2. Lat pulldown?3 x 10-12 reps
C1. Decline bench press?3 x 12-15 reps
C2. Seated rowing?3 x 12-15 reps

• NOTE: Abdominal work is performed after every workout. Alternate between these two:
    ABS WORKOUT 1
    A1. Kneeling cable crunch?3 x 12-15 reps
    A2. Machine crunch (use a 505 tempo)?3 x 6-8 reps
    A3. Swiss ball crunch?3 x max

ABS WORKOUT 2
A1. Eagle sit-up?3 x max
A2. Roman chair Russian twist?3 x 12-15 reps
A3. High pulley woodchop?3 x 12-15 reps per side

?WEEKS 5-8
Monday (Upper chest conjugate/Biceps heavy)
A. Incline bench press?4 x 6-8 reps
B1. Low-incline dumbbell press (stop short of lockout)?3 x 10-12 reps
B2. Incline cable flies?3 x 10-12 reps
C. Low-pulley crossover?3 x 8-10 reps
D. Bench press?1 x 100 reps (take pauses if needed)
E. Barbell curl?5 x 5 reps

?Tuesday (Quads/Hams)
A1. Back squat?1 x 15, 1 x 12, 1 x 8, 1 x 20
A2. Romanian deadlift?1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 15
B1. Leg press?3 x 10-12 reps
B2. Gironda leg curl (leg curl with an elevated torso, as in a push-up position)?3 x 10-12 reps
C. Leg curl?1 x 100 reps
?Thursday (Biceps conjugate/Upper chest heavy)
A. Barbell curl?4 x 6-8 reps
B1. Reverse preacher curl?3 x 10-12 reps
B2. Hammer curl?3 x 10-12 reps
C. Machine curl 2/1 technique (lift with 2 arms, lower in 5 seconds with 1 arm)?3 x 5-6 reps per side
D. Preacher curl?1 x 100 reps
E. High incline dumbbell press?5 x 5

?Saturday (Back/Triceps)
A1. Barbell rowing?3 x 6-8 reps
A2. Fat-man pull-ups?3 x max reps
B1. Weighted chins?3 x 6-8 reps
B2. Lat pulldown?3 x 10-12 reps
C1. Decline EZ-bar triceps extension?5 x 6-8 reps
C2. Rope triceps extension?5 x 12-15 reps

• NOTE: Abs work is still performed after every workout in an alternate fashion.

?WEEKS 9-12
Monday (quadriceps/hamstrings)
A. Back squat?1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 8, 1 x 10
B1. Leg press?3 x 10-12 reps
B2. Leg extension?3 x 10-12 reps
C. Romanian deadlift?1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 8, 1 x 10

?Tuesday (Shoulders/Back)
A1. Upright rowing?1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 8, 1 x 10
A2. Seated incline dumbbell lateral raise?4 x 12-15 reps
B. Cable lateral raise (one arm at a time)?3 x 15-20 reps per arm
C1. Barbell rowing?1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 8, 1 x 10
C2. Lat pulldown?1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 8, 1 x 10
E. Haney shrugs?3 x 12-15 reps

?Thursday (Biceps/Triceps)
A1. Preacher curl?4 x 8-10 reps
A2. Alternate dumbbell curl?4 x 10-12 reps per arm
A3. Reverse barbell curl?4 x 12-15 reps
B1. Close-grip bench press?4 x 8-10 reps
B2. Lying barbell triceps extension?4 x 10-12 reps
B3. Rope triceps extension?4 x 12-15 reps

?Saturday (Chest/Shoulders)
A1. Decline dumbbell press?3 x 8-10 reps
A2. Dips?3 x max reps
A3. Cable crossover?3 x 12-15 reps
B1. Seated dumbbell press?4 x 8-10 reps
B2. Standing lateral raise?4 x 10-12 reps
B3. Front dumbbell raise?4 x 12-15 reps

• NOTE: Abs should be worked after every workout (same as two other phases) plus additional resistance free abs work everyday.

[quote]Fordy wrote:
Ryan Reynolds must have done some intense ab work to get a stomach like that![/quote]

You’re killing me man.

Go to exrx.com, there is an extensive muscle and exercise dictionary there with illustrations of most exercises.

To the OP: Please be aware that you should NOT do what Ryan did to get into that shape.

And if you’re asking whether you should eat more or less to achieve that physique, it means you need to learn a hell of a lot more about bodybuilding than you know right now. This site has all the info you require; go to the “Are you a Beginner” thread and educate yourself. You seem to be setting out blindly with no idea of what or why you will be doing what you will. This seems like a recipe for failure to me.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
To the OP: Please be aware that you should NOT do what Ryan did to get into that shape.

And if you’re asking whether you should eat more or less to achieve that physique, it means you need to learn a hell of a lot more about bodybuilding than you know right now. This site has all the info you require; go to the “Are you a Beginner” thread and educate yourself. You seem to be setting out blindly with no idea of what or why you will be doing what you will. This seems like a recipe for failure to me.[/quote]

The Best post in this thread and honestly the only one that makes any sense at all.

This guy is clueless. Why ignore that and avoid hitting on it? He needs basic understanding of what is involved, not random “routines” thrown at him just to keep him happy.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
This guy is clueless. Why ignore that and avoid hitting on it? He needs basic understanding of what is involved, not random “routines” thrown at him just to keep him happy.[/quote]

If people truly knew anything, they would have sent him to the Beginner’s section. I think a lot of guys answer questions like the OP asked because it’s an ego thing. “Oh, I know so much from reading stuff on the Internet that I can answer these questions.”

Sadly, often when people “answer” questions, they do nothing more than reveal their own ignorance.

In any event, the OP is not that far from looking like the guy in the photo. The guy in the photo is NOT big. He has a decent build, sure, but a pre-photo pump, lighting, and Photoshopping do the rest.

If people truly knew anything, they would have sent him to the Beginner’s section. I think a lot of guys answer questions like the OP asked because it’s an ego thing. “Oh, I know so much from reading stuff on the Internet that I can answer these questions.”

Sadly, often when people “answer” questions, they do nothing more than reveal their own ignorance.

In any event, the OP is not that far from looking like the guy in the photo. The guy in the photo is NOT big. He has a decent build, sure, but a pre-photo pump, lighting, and Photoshopping do the rest.[/quote

I have been going to the gym for nearly 8 months however have not taken it seriously at all and more importantly have not had a good diet in place. Not to mention my 5 day split programme.

I think i am looking for someone else to do the work for me when i shouldnt (hoping 1 answer and reply showing me a plan and diet will do every thing for me)

After reading articles nearly all day i have now found that there are huge factors which determine what is best for an individual ie diet, rest, time dedication, habbits, programmes, lifestyle…even the articles by doctors, and people with over 10 years experience admit they dont know everthing but can realte back experieces they have had and their findings.

I dont know why i expected ayone to beable to help me when realistically i have told you about 1% of “ME” and my lifestyle.

I am going to keep reading and learning and then decide what to do…

I promise in 6 months time i will come back to this topic and will show you where i am and how i achieved this.

One huge difference between my current size and ryan is bulk, he is toned but have a nice foundation whilst i am very skinny with minimal tone…

Hope i didnt offend anyone by asking silly questions, at the end of the day if you hadnt have replied i wouldnt have found where i was going wrong!

Thanks again
Glenn

1st Class response, mate. Look forward to seeing your progress in 6 months. Good luck!

[quote]Fordy wrote:
Hope i didnt offend anyone by asking silly questions, at the end of the day if you hadnt have replied i wouldnt have found where i was going wrong![/quote]

Your questions weren’t silly at all. What was silly is that people didn’t send you to the Beginner’s room. You’re still a beginner. That’s NOT an insult. Everyone was once a beginner.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Fordy wrote:
Hope i didnt offend anyone by asking silly questions, at the end of the day if you hadnt have replied i wouldnt have found where i was going wrong!

Your questions weren’t silly at all. What was silly is that people didn’t send you to the Beginner’s room. You’re still a beginner. That’s NOT an insult. Everyone was once a beginner.[/quote]

So if one asks me “what do you think if this is achievable”, I should tell him to go to the beginners, instead of simply replying yes or no? And If I don’t, I am “silly”?

[quote]Imen de Naars wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Fordy wrote:

Your questions weren’t silly at all. What was silly is that people didn’t send you to the Beginner’s room. You’re still a beginner. That’s NOT an insult. Everyone was once a beginner.

So if one asks me “what do you think if this is achievable”, I should tell him to go to the beginners, instead of simply replying yes or no? And If I don’t, I am “silly”?
[/quote]

This guy didn’t even know if he should “eat more” to gain muscle mass. What, in anything written, makes this guy look like anything BUT a beginner to you?

It truly makes sense to you to focus on that question rather than why it is being asked or by whom? That would be the difference between just posting to see your name on the screen and actually helping someone with anything you do write.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Imen de Naars wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Fordy wrote:

This guy didn’t even know if he should “eat more” to gain muscle mass. What, in anything written, makes this guy look like anything BUT a beginner to you?

It truly makes sense to you to focus on that question rather than why it is being asked or by whom? That would be the difference between just posting to see your name on the screen and actually helping someone with anything you do write.[/quote]

Well after reading through the above article twice regarding the “Super Hero” i have decided to use that programme as a template and incorporate exercises that i have used in the past that i seemed to react to for example “back flys”.

I would hope after 12 weeks of following this plan it will give my priceless eperience, . However the main reason i have chose to follow this plan is I have a template and have something to work with and strive to acheive… It will also highlight if i do or dont have the patience/desire and willingness to persue my goal.

I could however have chosen any programme that looked good, although i DO think this one is geared towards my goal and covers a nice realistic timescale.

If anyone disagrees with me or thinks i could do with reading more and chaning the programme or even making my own from scratch please let me know…Any information /criticism is welcome…

As for the diet,after reading alot of articles i CANT believe i aksed “do i need to eat more”. Of course i do, its nearly as important if not more important than the weights themselves. Feeding the muscles is a MUST!!!

Therefore, i am now following the programme above, eating 7-8 times per day, carb intake post training, fruit with every shake, greens with every meal, 3 litres of water per day and creatine after workout. Its easy to say i am going to do the above but i am GUARANTEED!!

Thanks again.