T Nation

Is This a Good Workout?

Hi,

I consider myself a beginner in weight training and would like if some of the more experienced members of this forum could critique my training program. In the first six weeks of training I think I gained good results, but now (after about 12 weeks of training) I seem to have reached a plateau with no real difference in my physique. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

My weekly split allows me to hit each muscle group twice per week but with 3 days recuperation between each workout (I don’t think once a week for a muscle group is intense enough for me):

Monday - Chest, Biceps, Triceps
Tuesday - Off
Wednesday - Shoulders, Back, Abs
Thursday - Off
Friday - Chest, Biceps, Triceps
Saturday - Off
Sunday - Shoulders, Back, Abs

I rest 60 seconds between sets, and 30 seconds between each exercise.

Workout 1 - Chest, Biceps, Triceps, performed in the following order:

Flat Bench Press 3 sets/10 reps
Barbell Biceps Curl (21s) 3 sets/10 reps
Triceps Cable Pulldown 3 sets/10 reps
Incline Chest Press 3 sets/10 reps
EZ Bar Biceps Curl 3 sets/10 reps
Dips 3 sets/until failure on each set
Flat Bench Flys 3 sets/10 reps
Hammer Curl 3 sets/10 reps

Workout 2 - Shoulders, Back, Abs, performed in the following order:

Standing Behind-the-neck Press 3 sets/10 reps
Lat Pulldown 3 sets/10 reps
Front Barbell Raise 3 sets/10 reps
Upper Back Machine 3 sets/10 reps
Upright Row 3 sets/10 reps
Seated Row 3 sets/10 reps
Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise 3 sets/10 reps
Traditional Crunch 3 sets/maximum reps per set
Leg Raises 3 sets/maximum reps per set
Reverse Crunches 3 sets/maximum reps per set
Planks
Back Extension 3 sets/10 reps

Nutrition

I try to get 130 g of protein and 3000 calories per day. I also take two protein shakes (One Stop by Reflex) per day, this stuff is great cuz it also has creatine, BCAAs, and zinc.

Cardio

I go swimming once per week for about 30 minutes. Also 5 minutes warm-up on a treadmill before weight training.

No it sucks your skipping more then half your body form the nipples down aside from a little ab work

read the beginners thread

Phill

No. Mainly because it was made by a non=professional bodybuilding ignorant, you.

Use one of the hundreds of professionally written programs on this website made specifically for beginners.

And read the goddamn beginner thread.

good God! is this a serious question? unless you’re an amputee from the waist down, you’re not hitting every body part.

Not to be harsh but your program is really bad.

I have been training about 10 years but i took the last 1.5 years or so off. So we might be in a similar suitation.

Check out the Madcow version of the bill starr 5x5. It has a webpage and an excel spreadsheet for work out design. I have been doing it and I am really liking it and doing well.

This is the most unimaginative set/rep scheme I’ve ever seen!

And does anyone think it’s even a LITTLE ok to skip legs altogether?

Hell, even if all he wrote in was leg extensions and leg curls I’d have not choked on my donut.

I’m surprised nobody has said anything about your diet either. 130 grams of protein over 3000 calories is not very good, it sounds like a lot of fish sticks and weight gainer.

You should aim for at least a gram per pound (more like 1.5) but with 3000 calories you could at least aim for the 250 area of protein (if you stick with higher protein foods like eggs and meats it should be easier though, even with some high carb thrown in there.)

I agree with everything thats been said…and if youre a beginner screw all of those isolation exercises. Develop your core…read some articles

Jeez! I’m taking alot of heat bcuz I left out the legs! That’s not a mistake its deliberate because the program aims to develop a good core and upper body first before focusing on legs.

I know developing all your muscles equally is important, but when your on the beach with your shirt off nobody gives a damn about your legs!

Secondly, I did not create this workout myself. It was a professional from a national gym franchise - L.A Fitness.

[quote]Kreature wrote:
Jeez! I’m taking alot of heat bcuz I left out the legs! That’s not a mistake its deliberate because the program aims to develop a good core and upper body first before focusing on legs.

I know developing all your muscles equally is important, but when your on the beach with your shirt off nobody gives a damn about your legs!

Secondly, I did not create this workout myself. It was a professional from a national gym franchise - L.A Fitness.[/quote]

What’s with the rash of LA fitness trolls?

[quote]Kreature wrote:

Secondly, I did not create this workout myself. It was a professional from a national gym franchise - L.A Fitness.[/quote]

Never take advice from L.A fitness guy again, Yes they give a shit about your legs, atleast try not to have twigs for calves.
I hope you got out your extra baggy board shorts

You have stalled becuase you need to work legs, I stayed exactly the same when I was a noob becuase my routine was much like yours, once I started squating and deadlifting good things hapened

[quote]Kreature wrote:

SQUAT OR DIE!

I don’t see any squats.

It’s no good.

Your plan blows dude. Respect the game and pay your dues. Squat, pull, and be patient and humble. Maybe come up with a better reason to train than cosmetics…you are not a woman.

[quote]John S. wrote:

SQUAT OR DIE![/quote]

Good advice.

[quote]Kreature wrote:

For the love of God…

These “professionals” have meetings where the management tells them things like, “don’t hurt the client”. Then they start giving you weights a 10 year old girl could lift.

You could honestly reduce your entire routine to:

Squats
Deads
Bench Press
Rows

Those four items with intensity and heavy weight would do you more good than that trash routine you posted.

It’s time to read and listen.

signed,

215 pound ectomorph/hardgainer/old man with “bad” tendon attachments

Yeah thanx for all the advice guys. I can see I’ve ruffled a few feathers with my crappy routine. I’ll just read more stuff on this website and come up with my own workouts (and I’ll be sure to SQUAT so that I don’t DIE :P)

Thanks again for all your advice.

[quote]Kreature wrote:
Yeah thanx for all the advice guys. I can see I’ve ruffled a few feathers with my crappy routine. I’ll just read more stuff on this website and come up with my own workouts (and I’ll be sure to SQUAT so that I don’t DIE :P)

Thanks again for all your advice.[/quote]

That’s a great attitude. The guys around here are more than willing to help anyone that works to make progress and communicates well. Let us know if you have other questions.