T Nation

Is This a Good Workout Plan?

I’m starting a hypertrophy program after not training for 3 months, I have a program but I want to run it by somebody before I begin.

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Back
Wednesday- Shoulders
thursday- legs
Friday- arms

everyday I do 5 exercises of the specified muscle group. of these I do 5 sets of 8-12 with 30-45 seconds of rest in between hitting failure every time. there is a 3 minute rest interval in beween exercises. This phase lasts for 4 weeks

then for the next 2 weeks I do 3-4 exercises of the specified mucle group. with this I do 7-8 sets of 2-3 with 1:30 rest and 3 minute rest between sets, again hitting failure every time. After this phase I begin the
previous one all over again

5 sets of 5 exercises may be a little too much in my opinion, 45 seconds rest?? I would probably take a bit more rest, maybe choose only 3-4 exercises. but its all about progression, if you can continue to lift more/grow bigger each week off what ever your doing, then its working

This ain’t rocket science.

When I review programs people post in this forum, I have really low standards, because I assume OP’s just want someone to co-sign their bullshit, and if they really wanted to progress, they’d select a pre-made program from a decent coach and do it with their whole fucking heart body and soul, saw progress, and realize what makes a good program good.

My low standards are this:

Are they squatting?

Are they using similar volume/intensity for their back as they are for their front?

Are they eating enough?

If you can check off all three of those requirements, I will co-sign your program, and you can lift using it knowing that whatever you’re doing in the gym will most likely net you decent results.

Or you could just do Starting Strength. But that’s just me. I think Flameout and Starting Strength can cure cancer.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Or you could just do Starting Strength. But that’s just me. I think Flameout and Starting Strength can cure cancer.[/quote]

No, man, you got it wrong, squats cure cancer.

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Otep wrote:
Or you could just do Starting Strength. But that’s just me. I think Flameout and Starting Strength can cure cancer.

No, man, you got it wrong, squats cure cancer. [/quote]

Well, squats are the active ingredient, yes, but you have to push them under the trade name, or people realize they can get them OTC like everything else.

[quote]Vnation wrote:
I’m starting a hypertrophy program after not training for 3 months, I have a program but I want to run it by somebody before I begin.

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Back
Wednesday- Shoulders
thursday- legs
Friday- arms

everyday I do 5 exercises of the specified muscle group. of these I do 5 sets of 8-12 with 30-45 seconds of rest in between hitting failure every time. there is a 3 minute rest interval in beween exercises. This phase lasts for 4 weeks

then for the next 2 weeks I do 3-4 exercises of the specified mucle group. with this I do 7-8 sets of 2-3 with 1:30 rest and 3 minute rest between sets, again hitting failure every time. After this phase I begin the
previous one all over again[/quote]

No where in that post did I see the words “squat” or “milk”, so no.

[quote]ghostofbellstar wrote:
5 sets of 5 exercises may be a little too much in my opinion, 45 seconds rest?? I would probably take a bit more rest, maybe choose only 3-4 exercises. but its all about progression, if you can continue to lift more/grow bigger each week off what ever your doing, then its working[/quote]

This.
I agree it’s really vague, but with what you’ve given us this is as good a responce as our gonna get back.