T Nation

Is This a Good Way to Fix Thoracic Kyphosis While Sleeping?

Hi, guys!

I have kyphosis (hunchback posture).

I have read a lot on it, and usually the fix includes things like foam rolling or using a peanut in order to mobilize the spine.

My problem is that I can't get myself to do these - they seem way too "boring." Would you think that if I put a small ball (say, like a small cantaloupe) on my upper back while sleeping, I could get a similar effect (and for a much larger duration)?

Similar to this:

... only I will be using a ball that will distribute the pressure over more vertebrae (we don't want to create "hyperrmobility" in a single vertebra).

I mean, kyphosis is mainly caused by being hunched over for years, so doing the "opposite" for a good deal of time (as in, several hours while sleeping), should help.

Btw, I'm familiar with all the other things I need to be doing as well: Stretching pecs and hip flexors, working the back, being mindful of my posture etc. My question is what do you think of the specific idea above?

Thanks!

How are you going to sleep like that? While not moving?

Do the "boring" work. Watch TV, listen to music, it really doesnt matter. I do shoulder stuff while prepping dinner.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not a big mover during sleep. If anything, the object will remind me not to move. I sleep on my back, which is supposedly the "best" way to sleep as far as spinal alignment goes (sleeping on the side can cause all kinds of other problems, like scoliosis).

I have tried watching a YouTube video while doing the foam rolling, but it's impossible, because the head changes direction all the time (plus, we tend to do foam rolling lying on the floor, while looking up, and not "horizontally".)

Also, I want to avoid doing the boring stuff because it burns up my discipline and willpower, which I need in order to be able to do other stuff as well - following a strength-training routine which is going fantastic until now, building my business, and attending to some other major life changes that are happening for me right now. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the reply - I appreciate it!

It sounds like your mind is already made up. I do not think this will fix your problem.

Thanks for the reply!

If I hear logical arguments as to why this is not a good idea, I will gladly listen to them.

May I ask why you feel the approach I described will not help?

Thanks!

Because my shoulders and back were really screwed up as well. You need to balance the stretching with exercise. There are some great people on here willing to help. But, you have to be willing to listen to them, even if it's it's not what you want to hear. They have helped me get mine almost straighten out in a few weeks.

I hear ya.

I agree that I need to balance stretching with exercise.

I mentioned in my original post that I know I need to be stretching areas like the pecs and hip flexors, and I AM doing that as well.

The question I had still holds though. Is there any reason my approach couldn't replace T-spine foam rolling?

Thanks.