Is This a Good Routine?

Ive been lifting for 12 weeks now and have seen some great gains using Stronglifts. I’d like to try to branch out a little for the following reasons. 1- I’d like to be in the gym more and I have the time for it. 2- I’m bored with it but would like to keep the gains at a similar pace while spicing things up. So here it is

Monday-
Back Squat 3x5
Front Squat 3x5
Leg Ext 3x15
Leg Curl 3x15
Calf Raise 3x20
Tue-
Deadlift 3x5
Romanian DL 3x5
Barbell Row 3x5
Dumbell Row 3x15
Lat Pull 3x15
Preacher Curl 3x15
Hammer Curl 3x15
Wed-
Decline Weight Crunch 3x15
Decline Weight Twist Crunch 3x15
Plank 3xtime
Farmers Walk 3xtime
Thursday-
Repeat Monday
Friday-
Bench Press 3x5
Incline BP 3x5
Dumbell Fly 3x15
Military Press 3x5
Shoulder Shrug 3x15
Lateral Shoulder Raise 3x15
Front Shoulder Raise 3x15
Sat/Sun-
Rest

That just looks like a lot of exercises with rep schemes. If it works for you, that’s awesome, but without any sort of programmed progression I don’t see it being successful.

Were I in your situation, I’d do 5/3/1.

[quote]GetTheLedOut wrote:
Is this a good routine?[/quote]

No.

I suggest you read some articles / threads on this site to educate yourself, and/or choose a program designed by an experienced coach. 5/3/1 as recommended by Punisher is a good one. It is usually set up with 4 lifting days per week. If you want to train 5 days per week look into Christian Thibadeau’s programs.

It isn’t great, and like T3hPwnisher said without a progression plan probably won’t take you anywhere BUT it is a bunch better than some other stuff people post asking the same question. That’s simply because you put in all the big compound lifts and generally have them earlier on.

You’d still be better off following 5/3/1 though, because that isn’t just a good program, it is a genuinely great one based on how well is has worked for the vast majority of people who use it.

First thoughts: Leg day on Monday and then DLs on Tuesday? No bueno, but it wouldn’t take you long to figure that out. A whole day for abs seems wasteful, especially since you didn’t include any direct triceps work. Front raises after three pressing moves, but no rear delt work is kinda odd.

I like the fact that you’d work legs twice a week. Keep that, but try to work some single leg stuff in there and increase the reps on the back squats. Maybe sub in high bar full squats for front squats and go higher rep on those, too (I never recommend more than six reps on front squats).

I feel staying with a routine you make progress on is likely to help you more than a new routine that may entertain you but will probably severely limit your results. I also think 5/3/1 of some form (probably a template written by Wendler), will be even better than either option.

Thanks for the input guys. Everything I read about 531 is positive and that was the routine I planned on working towards but shouldn’t I wait? I’m still in the “newbie” gains phase and I thought 531 was for more intermediate to advanced lifters.

Thanks for the input guys. Everything I read about 531 is positive and that was the routine I planned on working towards but shouldn’t I wait? I’m still in the “newbie” gains phase and I thought 531 was for more intermediate to advanced lifters. [/quote]

It’s for everyone. Get the book. Start with 5 Pro’s and FSL. Get comfy with the workouts. Don’t fuck with the TM (to quote Jim, the TM has nothing to do with the size of your dick). Don’t stress on accessories/assistance. And have fun.

See you in 6 months.

It can be fun to run your own programs, and to try out different assistance moves to see how they work out for you. That’s how you learn, right? I would just make a couple tweaks…

Monday(pull)
-Your deadlift day

Wednesday(push)
-Your press day

Friday(squat)
-Your leg day

Do one kind of an lift each day. On Thursday and Saturday feel free to do as much upper back, rear delts traps as you want. Or jump rope and do some band pull aparts. It’s fun to be in the gym, but you don’t want the “extra” stuff to hurt the “real” stuff.

Your progression “plan” is an important part of the routine. But if you’ve only been lifting for 12 weeks, you shouldn’t need a complex one. Do you have anything in mind?

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
It can be fun to run your own programs, and to try out different assistance moves to see how they work out for you. That’s how you learn, right? I would just make a couple tweaks…

Monday(pull)
-Your deadlift day

Wednesday(push)
-Your press day

Friday(squat)
-Your leg day

Do one kind of an lift each day. On Thursday and Saturday feel free to do as much upper back, rear delts traps as you want. Or jump rope and do some band pull aparts. It’s fun to be in the gym, but you don’t want the “extra” stuff to hurt the “real” stuff.

Your progression “plan” is an important part of the routine. But if you’ve only been lifting for 12 weeks, you shouldn’t need a complex one. Do you have anything in mind?[/quote]

This is good advice.

Monday(pull)
-Your deadlift day

Wednesday(push)
-Your press day

Friday(squat)
-Your leg day

Your progression “plan” is an important part of the routine. But if you’ve only been lifting for 12 weeks, you shouldn’t need a complex one. Do you have anything in mind?[/quote]

My plan for progression was to stick with the workout by workout 5 pound progression I’ve been doing on 5x5 on all the “main” lifts (DL, Squat, OHP, Rows, BP) as well as start light and do the same on front squat, romanian, and incline BP. For the rest, I thought I’d keep the progression a little slower and concentrate more on very slow controlled movements more in a bodybuilder style.

But… I have yet to do more research on 531. Might change this up completely I’m not 100% yet.

Monday(pull)
-Your deadlift day

Wednesday(push)
-Your press day

Friday(squat)
-Your leg day

My plan for progression was to stick with the workout by workout 5 pound progression I’ve been doing on 5x5 on all the “main” lifts (DL, Squat, OHP, Rows, BP) as well as start light and do the same on front squat, romanian, and incline BP. For the rest, I thought I’d keep the progression a little slower and concentrate more on very slow controlled movements more in a bodybuilder style.
[/quote]

That’s almost Texas Method.

Plan sounds OK. Not blasting away on the assistance lifts has been working for me lately. I’ve been doing 3x10 week 1, 3x12 week 2, 3x15 week 3…

If you split your pressing day into 1 day for shoulders/military and 1 day for bench/ chest, your routine is a lot like the 5/3/1 setup. So you’re doing alright.

Workable programs often have a lot in common. Sometimes I’ll spend a month or two tinkering around with a plan I designed. After I get it all tweaked, I usually end up with the basic scheme of some well known program.

Similar but better…