db shoulder presses
cable side raises
shrugs

Squat
Squat 5x5 (ramped)
leg press
romanian deadlift pretty light

please critique. thanks in advance.

The exercise selection is fine. The rep work (5x5) may be good for developing base strength and hypertrophy. But it will take some low reps (1-3 reps with near maximal weight) to bring out maximal strength.

yes if you are a bit of complete beginner to lifting but, if you have been in a couple months then I would try some lower rep work like 1-3 with 95-87 percent of your max instead of the 5x5. Or use the 5-3-1 I just started this program but, I love it already and definitely worth a try.

yes if you are a bit of complete beginner to lifting but, if you have been in a couple months then I would try some lower rep work like 1-3 with 95-87 percent of your max instead of the 5x5. Or use the 5-3-1 I just started this program but, I love it already and definitely worth a try.

That’s just me, mind you, but I’d want:

a) Some heavy posterior chain work besides deadlifts… Glute-Hams, or even (lighter) rev hypers, or PL GM’s…
Could ditch the light romanian deads and include that instead.

b) Do CGP on bench assistance day as the main lift rather than more of the regular flat bench.

c) Some heavy ab work (pulldown abs with a lot of weight, for example)

d) Face pulls or seated DB power cleans, defranco style, or something like that. Shoulder health etc…

e) Ditch straight bar bb curls… Squats beat the wrists up enough as it is… Go for pinwheels, alt hammers or alt. db curls or some machine curl instead.

f) possibly kroc rows (if you got the technique down) rather than chest-supported rows, but that’s not terribly important.

As for reps etc… I’d either go with Wendler 5/3/1 on my main movements, or, for example, with Maraudermeat’s 5x5 and 3x3 variants (not really 5 sets of 5, look it up).

Edit: Again, that’s just what I’d personally change/add.

Shameless thread highjack: can C_C or someone else explain (or give a link) on Maraudermeat 5x5 and 3x3 variant? Thanks!

[quote]fabiop wrote:
Shameless thread highjack: can C_C or someone else explain (or give a link) on Maraudermeat 5x5 and 3x3 variant? Thanks![/quote]

You could pm him, you know :wink:

I’ll see if I can find his posts again…

I don’t know what Marauder does, but I pretty much cycle my squats, 5x5 one week, 3x3 another week. I squat twice a week, front/back. This works for me :)- I’m sure you could do back/box unless you know otherwise.
I find every time I do max single I need more than a week to recover, and so this just slows my progress down: thus I never max out my squat unless I have to.

[quote]fabiop wrote:
Shameless thread highjack: can C_C or someone else explain (or give a link) on Maraudermeat 5x5 and 3x3 variant? Thanks![/quote]

I Googled “Maraudermeat’s 5x5” and found it quickly

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
fabiop wrote:
Shameless thread highjack: can C_C or someone else explain (or give a link) on Maraudermeat 5x5 and 3x3 variant? Thanks!

I Googled “Maraudermeat’s 5x5” and found it quickly[/quote]

You’re right, it wasn’t that difficult to find that thread :slight_smile:

There you go, then.

Not really 5x5 per se, I prefer mm’s variant it to traditional 5x5…

I’ve used something similar in the past, but I waited 'till I got five reps on the fifth set before increasing weight… Now, it’s easy to understand why Mm variant it’s best suited for quicker strength gains! Nice, one more tool in my box, even if I’m shure that 5-3-1 will give me results for still a looong time!

A ramped 5x5 program is a solid strength builder. It is generally a beginner OR off-season program. My experience is that you will plateau pretty quickly with a 5x5. Alternating another set/rep scheme inbetween weeks of 5x5 is the way to go here (as suggested by Forevernade).

There are plenty of good powerlifting programs to choose from, something with less volume and higher intensity would be key. BTW, competing in powerlifting is a one rep game. Practicing the way you play does apply, while more reps help develop your power base.

Best of luck.