Is This a Decent Program?

I’ve been lifting for 2 and a half years now. I’m 18, weigh 180 lbs, and I take creatine and protein supplements. Can someone tell me if this is a good program to follow for growth?

I just started the upper-lower split since I can do more for specific muscle groups. I was afraid that I was going to start overtraining, so I cut the weekends out. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Monday- Upper
4 X 5 85% wide grip bench press
4 X 5 85% narrow grip bench press
4 X 10 Dumb-bell rows
4 X 10 Dumb-bell shrugs
4 X 10 Hammer Curls
4 X 10 L-Lateral Raise

1 X 50 Serratus Crunch
1 X 50 Weighted Crunches
1 X 50 Leg Raise
1 X 50 Dumb-bell Side Bend

Tuesday- Lower
3 X 10 85% Deadlift
3 X 5 Front Squat
3 X 10 Stiff Legged Deadlift
3 X 10 Dumb-bell lunges
3 X 20 Leg extension for hams and quads

1 X 50 Serratus Crunch
1 X 50 Weighted Crunches
1 X 50 Leg Raise

Wednesday
Off

Thursday- Upper
3 X 5 85% wide grip bench press
3 X 5 85% narrow grip bench press
3 X 10 Dumb-bell rows
3 X 10 Dumb-bell shrugs
3 X 10 Hammer Curls
3 X 10 L-Lateral Raise

1 X 50 Serratus Crunch
1 X 50 Weighted Crunches
1 X 50 Leg Raise

Friday - Lower
4 X 10 80% Deadlift
4 X 5 Front Squat
4 X 10 Stiff Legged Deadlift
4 X 10 Dumb-bell lunges
4 X 20 Leg extension for hams and quads

1 X 50 Serratus Crunch
1 X 50 Weighted Crunches
1 X 50 Leg Raise

Saturday
off

Sunday
off

It’s a good beginner program. You are doing the same 2 workouts twice a week.

You will do better changing your second program so that you are hitting the basic Squat/press/pull cycle differently in the second pair of workouts.

For example, if on Tuesday you are ham intensive, on Friday focus on Quads. If Monday is Horizontal focused, make Thursday Vertical.

Something like:

Monday
Bench
Row

Tuesday
Deadlift
Front Squat

Thursday
OH Press
Shrugs
Chin
Dips

Friday
Back Squat
Stiff legged deadlift

This will help you with your intensity and also your recovery.

In your ab routine try to get some twisting motion in there like woodchops.

edit: I had Thurs/Fri backwards.
Stu

Do you like it?

Is it working?

The ball is in your court…

well actually i was more worried about leaving out a muscle group. And it’s not really the “same” workout. I do an extra set the second time in the week for both upper and lower. Plus, i add two reps every week to each exercise. When I reach more than 6 reps for that exercise, i add weight accordingly so that I end up doing more work per rep.

For example, if the first week i do 3 X 5 at 200 lbs for bench, the next week i do 3 X 7 at 200 lbs and i keep going up until i reach 3X11 at 200lbs. by the end, i work at 6600lbs. I switch back to 3 X 5 but now i work at 210lbs. I don’t always go up that fast and once i start stagnating in that one exercise, i substitute it for a variation.

The program is good. Just wondering, are the exercises going to be done straight-up? Or you planning to do a alternate/circuit system?

It’s a circuit system where i do one set of all exercises 3 or 4 times.

Not enough pulling. Actually I think it sucks.
No vertical pulling, twice as much benching as rowing, and what is with the ab exercises? If they are working, good keep them, but seems unnecessary.

Upper:
A1:Horiz. Push
A2:Vert. Pull
B1:Vert. Push
B2:Horiz. Pull
C1:Iso
C2:Iso

Lower:
A1:Squat variation
B1:Dead lift variation
C1:Unilateral exercise
C2:Iso
C3:Iso

Eat, sleep, repeat. This seems more balanced than your program.

PozzSka, so would you say that I could replace one of pushing exercises, one of bench variations maybe, for something like pullups?

And i was wondering, since i do a total of 10 reps of benching that is split into two variations, would’nt one set of 10 reps for rowing even that out? Oh and since I don’t have machines or cables, how would i do the pull exercises, besides basic pullups? Oh and i decided to kick the ab exercises out since my lower body day takes care of that

8 sets of 5 is not the same as 4 sets of 10.

For a row that doesn’t require cables do Bent Rows: www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html

Do these as 4x5 and do the dumbbell rows 4x5 and that will balance your bench press.

You’re missing vertical push. OH Press is much better than lateral raises. Do Dips as well. With pull ups and shrugs you will have the vertical pull.

Don’t drop the pushing exercises, drop some arm work or crunches instead.

Is an OH press similar to a military press? Oh and i did kick the abs out. and i only have one arm exercise for fun mostly

According to this article http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426252
to balance benching do pushups, instead of rows.

I’m too much the beginner to critique that article, so perhaps some advanced folks will comment.

My beginner thoughts on your original program are:
-a lot of volume (depending on weights lifted), but then again you’re young so recover quickly
-a lot of ‘arms/chest/abs’ exercises on upper days, instead of general upper body (add mil. press, pullups/dips, etc.?). It suggests too much interest in the ‘look good’ muscles. (I could be wrong, of course)

[quote]Deadsion wrote:
Is an OH press similar to a military press? Oh and i did kick the abs out. and i only have one arm exercise for fun mostly [/quote]

Yes, an OH Press is similar to military press: exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/BBMilitaryPress.html

[quote]Nick Danger wrote:
According to this article http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426252
to balance benching do pushups, instead of rows.

I’m too much the beginner to critique that article, so perhaps some advanced folks will comment.

My beginner thoughts on your original program are:
-a lot of volume (depending on weights lifted), but then again you’re young so recover quickly
-a lot of ‘arms/chest/abs’ exercises on upper days, instead of general upper body (add mil. press, pullups/dips, etc.?). It suggests too much interest in the ‘look good’ muscles. (I could be wrong, of course)[/quote]

It is a lot of volume. Some days, especially on the 4 set days, i usually throw up or feel nauseous. But since i workout a muscle group only 2 times a week, i have time to recover. And i do 50-60 pushups for warmups. Guess i forgot to mention that. I’m not going to lie, yes i do workout the “look good” muscles a little too much, but I’m planning on fixing that now.

If it was me doing this all over and sort of having a half clue on how to do this now. (still much to be learned), dont care for the program. 2 day split i dont care for, but there are programs that can be effective. The MAJOR issue i see with you “program” is that you are basically reapeating the same exercises just 2x a week. The program inst bad, just needs to be tweaked. Even tho you are a beginner I would say have your power days and rep days. heres an idea

Monday - Upper (power day)

Bench 5 x 3-5 reps
T-Bar Rows 5 x 3 - 5
Pullups (Weighted if you can) 5 x 3-5reps

Tuesday - Lower (Rep Day)
Hack Squats 3 x 12- 15
Lunges 3 x 12 -15
Leg Extensions 3 x 15
leg curls 3 x 15
straight leg deadlift 3 x 12
calve raises 5 x 15

Wed Off

Thurs - Upper (Rep Day)
Dumbell press 4 x 12
flys 4 x 12
shoulder press 4 x 15
bent over rows 3 x 12
pulldowns 3 x 12
pushdowns 4 x 15
barbell curls 4 x 12

Fri Leg (Power Day)
Squats 5 x 3-5
deadlifts 5 x 3-5
front squats 5 x 3-5

Where i think this program will help out is giving you a decent balance of power and toning exercises. But also vary your routine. I get bored as hell doing the same crap 2x a week… formula for burnout. dont try to repeat exercises in the same week. Soory for the spelling… tired as fuck. good luck man.