Is There Really Less Emphasis on Legs?

[quote]dankid wrote:
I read that squats and deadlifts alone can be responsible for 50% of a persons gains. So shouldn’t they be about 50% of any program?

It never makes sense to me, when I see these guys in the gym, that squat 135 maybe 1-2x per month, but they are spending 2 hours on an arm workout.
[/quote]

I train every other day: chest, back (deadlift here), and legs. Squat and deadlift sessions last 30 minutes each, heavy, four reps or so. Only real isolation work is biceps, calf raises, and occasionally machines when something really doesn’t feel exhausted.

My physique is really balanced as a result, size/strength gains all over.

Although squats and deads may be responsible for quite a bit of growth, the human body has limitations, you can’t push it like a machine. More work doesn’t always equal more results…

[quote]Mr. Strong wrote:
If you wait until you are fully recovered you could be waiting weeks, or even months, if you train very hard.

You should be aiming to train each bodypart as frequently as possible, without causing overtraining. [/quote]

[i]Sounds like you have a different definition of “fully recovered” than most of us. But in my mind, fully recovered has to do with the muscles ability to produce force. So if you muscle cannot produce the required level of force your next workout you will not be able to make progress. So as soon as your muscle is able to produce as much or more force than your last workout is when you should train again.

But like anything it’s a correlation, the more volume the more rest you need, less volume less rest. So if you are only doing a few intense sets, then you could train legs 2-3 times per week. But if you are doing 12-20, intense sets than you probably will not have force production back in less than a week.

But these are just guidelines, do what works for you. [/i]