Is There An Oldest Age to Be Doing TRT?

I was wondering if you can be under TRT when you are 90 years old? Does anyone have experience with this? Is there an age when you stop TRT?

With long term low T levels there can be collagen loss and other low-T destructive changes in the body. While TRT can reverse many aspects of aging in middle age, with advanced age the damage can be done. So we need to consider one’s biological age and physical condition.

If there is significant heart disease, the increased/restored metabolic rate and demands of TRT might not be appropriate. Might precipitate heart attack or stroke because of preexisting state.

Doctors often do a horrible job with TRT and male hormone health care. So that can also be a risk.

Do not take a narrow view of TRT. These all need to be part of the plan:

• TT
  • FT
  • E2
  • LH/FSH need not be considered with advanced age
  • CBC
  • hematocrit
  • AST/ALT
  • DHEA-S [will almost always be low with advance age]
  • PSA <----
  • AM cortisol [at 8AM or 1 hour after waking]
  • IGF-1 to evaluate GH status
  • CRP - generalized inflammatory marker.
  • homocysteine - cardio specific inflammatory marker.
  • Vit-D25
  • B-12
  • fasting cholesterol
  • fasting glucose
  • A1C

With advanced age, prostate becomes quite possible, TRT could wake up a cancer that was quiet and T starved.

No State run health system wants to deal with the above. It is in their interests that one die suddenly with low health care costs and less pension plan payments. They certainly do not want to pay for high cost hormone care for remainder of life. So you need to be able to afford and be motivated.

Hormone care can last as long as one is able to or care about injections and pills. If one’s mind goes, game is up and no point in prolonging that.

All medical conditions, history and medications need to be reviewed.

Often directives to reduce salt intake create or worsen iodine deficiency leading to low thyroid function and loss of vitality and alertness. Can be see as a lack of clarity of thought.

There are many nutritional factors to consider.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.