Is There a Recommended Whey?

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I know it sounds dumb that I can’t find time for meals but it’s the truth. I don’t know how much money I could possibly spend on food and protein, I’ll be broke in no time.[/quote]
I’m confused. Is it a time issue or a money issue?

If it’s a time issue, that’s the easiest to solve - prepping food beforehand (lots of cooking/packing one day a week, toss it in the fridge or freezer), calorie-dense meals for on-the-go (shakes you know, but sandwiches are underestimated), getting up a whole 10 or 15 minutes earlier to have a real breakfast. If school starts at 7:30, and it takes you 45 minutes to get ready, you know you need to wake up by 6:15/6:20 to stagger downstairs, scramble some eggs, pop some toast, and chow down before hitting the showers.

If it’s a money issue, that takes a little more planning, but it’s obviously doable. If I have $200 in my pocket, I’m not going to blow it all on freaking whey protein. The other day, I bought 10 pounds of frozen chicken breasts for $21. I can find 36 eggs for $4. There have been tons of threads with college students asking how to shop for food on a limited budget.

Also…

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Spend your accupuncturist money on food. problem solved.[/quote]
Funny but true, unless they’re a family friend or something and seeing you for free.

That’s fine. So have the big dinner of whatever’s served and enjoy it. You can still be responsible for your own breakfast and lunch. I’ll bet that the overwhelming majority of people here, regardless of age, don’t eat the same as everyone who lives in their house.

[quote]NikH wrote:

I wouldnt think whey products have much difference when they are in the same form of say isolates or hydrosylates, other than impurities (heavy metals). More expensive brands tend to be ‘purer’ or better quality when just comparing isolates.[/quote]
Without reference to any specific brand, when seeing products where the retail price in the store is almost identical to the bulk price per lb of the claimed protein type (when buying amounts such as 10,000 lb) plus cost of the jar itself, then because there has to be markup for manufacturers to stay in business, and the retailer itself will insist on making some profit on the sale, it becomes extremely unlikely that the product actually is entirely the protein type claimed.

At least most times, no one does an analysis to determine if the product actually is entirely whey protein. The government does not do so and there are no major consumer protection groups that focus on bodybuilding supplements. It would be interesting if Consumer Reports ever tackled the issue of proteins.

It’s not impossible that someone might do it though: a few times I’ve seen where someone (I don’t remember who) analyzing some Biotest products and being impressed that they did indeed measure and report quite accurately what the amounts were. Not that that’s tremendously hard to do, but it meant that they did use a good lab. It has to be possible to determine origins of protein, so perhaps it will be done.

A non-whey protein can be up to about three times cheaper than a whey protein.

I don’t have analyses on any of these products, but the numbers just don’t add up for some of them. Unless imagining that the manufacturer is selling for essentially the exact price of the protein itself plus the jar itself, the retailer is charging no markup, and the distributor (if any) charged no markup, there’s no way.

You don’t always get what you pay for, but on an ongoing business basis, you don’t get more than you pay for. The cheap proteins are, unsurprisingly, cheap proteins and cannot be identical to ones that are priced realistically relative to the cost of the label protein types. Many also notice the difference when using them.

Screw it, skip the shower and eat a bigger breakfast lol

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

I know it sounds dumb that I can’t find time for meals but it’s the truth. I don’t know how much money I could possibly spend on food and protein, I’ll be broke in no time.[/quote]

If it’s a time issue, that’s the easiest to solve - prepping food beforehand (lots of cooking/packing one day a week, toss it in the fridge or freezer), calorie-dense meals for on-the-go (shakes you know, but sandwiches are underestimated), getting up a whole 10 or 15 minutes earlier to have a real breakfast. If school starts at 7:30, and it takes you 45 minutes to get ready, you know you need to wake up by 6:15/6:20 to stagger downstairs, scramble some eggs, pop some toast, and chow down before hitting the showers.

If it’s a money issue, that takes a little more planning, but it’s obviously doable. If I have $200 in my pocket, I’m not going to blow it all on freaking whey protein. The other day, I bought 10 pounds of frozen chicken breasts for $21. I can find 36 eggs for $4. There have been tons of threads with college students asking how to shop for food on a limited budget.

Also…

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Funny but true, unless they’re a family friend or something and seeing you for free.

That’s fine. So have the big dinner of whatever’s served and enjoy it. You can still be responsible for your own breakfast and lunch. I’ll bet that the overwhelming majority of people here, regardless of age, don’t eat the same as everyone who lives in their house.[/quote]

More of a money thing. If I got a job then shit would be ridiculous. I get home at 3, lift for 2 hours, get the homework and dinner done then bed. The best way I think I could make money is carpeting with a family friend, he calls sometimes on weekends and I got 100 bucks over the weekend. Thankfully my mom pays for acupuncture since it’s 15 bucks each time. But yeah I gotta hit the acme soon and stock up on chicken and eggs and mark it as mine so nobody else takes it. But shit dude powerlifting is expensive lol gotta love it though

Come on buddy, there are people with far more hectic schedules than you and they have time for regular meals. If you’re in highschool, life is relatively easy. Get up early to workout, go to school, go home and do your school work. Eat a big breakfast, lunch and dinner. No need to eat every 2-3 hours. If you get a job (which I will admit during these economical times can be difficult, even for a highschool student), you can go after school. Just tell your boss when you’re available.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Also…

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

That’s fine. So have the big dinner of whatever’s served and enjoy it. You can still be responsible for your own breakfast and lunch. I’ll bet that the overwhelming majority of people here, regardless of age, don’t eat the same as everyone who lives in their house.[/quote]

More of a money thing. If I got a job then shit would be ridiculous. I get home at 3, lift for 2 hours, get the homework and dinner done then bed. The best way I think I could make money is carpeting with a family friend, he calls sometimes on weekends and I got 100 bucks over the weekend. Thankfully my mom pays for acupuncture since it’s 15 bucks each time. But yeah I gotta hit the acme soon and stock up on chicken and eggs and mark it as mine so nobody else takes it. But shit dude powerlifting is expensive lol gotta love it though
[/quote]

I wanted to leave this thread alone, but I really can’t let this go.

Your goal is something on the extreme end of human accomplishment. Billions of people have walked this earth, and less than 20 have done what you want to do. That’s pretty extraordinary.

Your means of getting there, along with your dedication, seem to be quite ordinary. You can’t get a job around lifting, eating dinner, going to school and doing homework? Those are your only responsibilities, and you can’t fit work in there too? And you want to be one of the strongest men on Earth? Those responsibilities you listed are ones EVERY high school lifter has. Plenty have jobs. Look up the sacrifices great lifters (and really men in any other field) made early on in life to get to where they are now. Matt Kroc’s a great example, read up on him. Greatness requires dedication and sacrifice. If getting a job means ‘shit would be ridiculous,’ then it sounds like shit NEEDS to get ridiculous.

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, don’t nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weights” - Ronnie

[/quote]

You are full of excuses man. You think that schedule is rough.

Try getting up at 4am to hit the gym, working from 6:30am-8pm, doing family stuff when you get home, going to bed at 10:30-11, waking up around 2am with a 3 month old and then doing it all over again the next day.

If you want to make it happen you will. You make sacrifices if you want it bad enough.

I really don’t think I should stay on these boards. I make a post about something like a basic question and it gets blown out of proportion. This being a great example. Me needing to buy more food ends up to getting a job and working out before I go to school.

My post on the Overhead, asking some questions on how to increase that then some grown ass man " supposedly" says HE is insulted by MY goals. Most of the time on here I get nothing but shit and the occasional help ( thanks to the help on the posts, I don’t remember any names ) Getting a lift in at 4AM would be hard, going to school would blow I doubt I could stay focused, then home to work.

Yeah I get people have to do that but I don’t because I’m not flat broke, I just need to buy more eggs and chicken. School does get in the way of my lifting not only because of the hours but the dumb shit I get taught I have to study over and over. Anybody can say somebody they never met or knows nothing about is full of excuses but when it’s something I want to do, I have far more drive and determination then a lot of other kids my age…especially in this fucked up lazy generation.

Say what you want but I mean if it comes to the point where I have no protein left and barely any meat in the house, you’re damn right I’ll work but as of right now I’m pretty stable

Screw it, drop out of high school and let the government take care of you your whole life.

I’ve been given the opportunity plenty of times, as pathetic as it sounds you can drop out and still get a regular diploma, no more GED’s

aren’t you 15? you seem fine to me as long as you stick 100% with a trainging program and pound the food - you can find whey for $6ish a pound if you can’t afford Biotest right now + eggs $1 on sale

if we’re giving you high school work advice, have you taken the PSATs yet? I got a full ride to a lot of good universities based completely on that joke of a test. A few hours spent preparing for it was worth literally over $100,000 in scholarships each to half the schools I applied to…

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
aren’t you 15? you seem fine to me as long as you stick 100% with a trainging program and pound the food - you can find whey for $6ish a pound if you can’t afford Biotest right now + eggs $1 on sale

if we’re giving you high school work advice, have you taken the PSATs yet? I got a full ride to a lot of good universities based completely on that joke of a test. A few hours spent preparing for it was worth literally over $100,000 in scholarships each to half the schools I applied to…[/quote]

Sorry, but I just have to ask.

The PSAT gives you 100,000 in scholarships?

What? Huh?

Yeah, it’s kind of ridiculous that a dumbed down SAT can count for so much. The PSAT is the only criteria for becoming a national merit scholarship finalist. I’m not sure what percentile you have to score on, but it’s not hard to beat a bunch of sleepy, unprepared 17 year olds if you’ve put in ~10 hours of studying. They give you $8k to any school usually, but there are 100some schools in the US automatically give full board, tuition, and book/travel/laptop/protein money stipends to every finalist. So if he says he wants to focus on school completely and not work, he’s being very smart with his time.

[quote]magick wrote:

if we’re giving you high school work advice, have you taken the PSATs yet? I got a full ride to a lot of good universities based completely on that joke of a test. A few hours spent preparing for it was worth literally over $100,000 in scholarships each to half the schools I applied to…[/quote]

Sorry, but I just have to ask.

The PSAT gives you 100,000 in scholarships?

What? Huh?[/quote]

Pretty much. Being a national merit scholar is pretty sweet. I don’t know how much gets offered now for national merit, but in 2002, I got most of my school paid for based on national merit, and I went to an expensive private university. A shit ton of schools offered me free rides, including (off the top of my head) USC, Baylor, Arizona State. Vanderbilt maybe.

It doesn’t get you scholarships to Ivy schools, but you’re at least likely to get in if you’ve got at least 1 or 2 other things going on in your life that they like.

I think browndisaster’s assessment that ‘you only have to study like 10 hours for it’ is kinda bogus for most people. Most people can’t ace the PSAT no matter how hard they study. However, for people that are borderline smart enough (take a few practice tests to figure that out) putting in, say, 100 hours of study is absolutely worth it.

sorry for the derail :slight_smile:

Ah, that scholarship in which only 1% of the national student-body gets into at the end.

And here I was thinking that there was something to the PSAT that I was unaware of when I was a 10th grader.

I knew those folks got offered money to schools; but didn’t know that they get free-rides to certain places.

yeah sorry 10 hours isn’t really accurate for most, I had studied a ton for the SAT prior to the PSATs. The scholarships are ridiculous, the schools offer them automatically to merit scholars. I would recommend every high school student to look up the minimum scores they need (these vary, as you’re ranked by how well you do in your state and by year) and study for it. 100 hours of work for $100,000 is a return you can probably only beat by winning the lotto.

I really don’t think I should stay on these boards.[/quote]

Stay around the forums or don’t. Entirely your call. Members here have gone on to become IFBB pro bodybuilders, top ranked powerlifters, and competitive strongmen, and they all got their balls busted by “haters” (or more experienced people trying to help) along the way.

In any case, good luck, whichever direction you choose.

yeah sorry 10 hours isn’t really accurate for most, I had studied a ton for the SAT prior to the PSATs. The scholarships are ridiculous, the schools offer them automatically to merit scholars. I would recommend every high school student to look up the minimum scores they need (these vary, as you’re ranked by how well you do in your state and by year) and study for it. 100 hours of work for $100,000 is a return you can probably only beat by winning the lotto.[/quote]

The reality is, you studied for the PSAT/SAT from about the day you were born. The students who do well on these tests generally check all of the following boxes: interested, engaged, intelligent parents… quality education from an early age (preschool, magnet schools, private schools, etc)… are academically competitive with their peers… are accelerated in math by at least a grade… any of that sound familiar browndisaster? :slight_smile:

My class had I think 6 finalists (about 700 total in my graduating class), and not surprisingly, we were all close friends who competed with each other from an early age. Lifetime exposures matter much more than test-specific studying.

I got a PSAT in May

Lol you’re completely on the ball. Do you work in education flip? One of my professors was talking about this topic recently.

OP you better start studying tonight, post your studying in your log