Is There a Recommended Whey?

I recently hit a reality check that I need to get huge, I haven’t changed much in about 6 months. I ditched the weight gainers because I learned they’re trash and began using 2 scoops of whey with milk, peanut butter, honey, and sometimes a pack of oats. I’ve been using ON 100% gold standard and I’m going to invest in a 10lb bag. It seems like ON is the leader when it comes to whey but it’s 100 bucks for the 10lb. Dymatize has a 10lb of whey isolate for 75 bucks and I’m somewhat on a budget.

Just wondering is there any superior whey protein that is just better than the rest? Being not able to lift at 100% has really pissed me off and I’ve been a miserable prick for the past week so when I come back recovered I plan on getting big as hell. To add to this, is there other supps. that help muscle/strength growth that I don’t know about? I’m on creatine and thinking about beta alinine or AKG

Not sure if you’re getting tired of seeing me pop up, but anyhow…

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I recently hit a reality check that I need to get huge[/quote]
You are huge compared to everyone your age, and you’re on the bigger side for most guys with your training experience. I still suggest dropping 15-20 pounds or so. Dropping a little bodyfat will set you up for better muscular gains in the short-term. To grossly oversimplify, trying to bulk up when you’re already carrying a fair amount of bodyfat increases the chances of gaining more fat than muscle during the bulking phase.

Cleaning up your nutrition, getting on a well-designed program, and maybe a smidgen of cardio will get you where you want to go… for now. Truth be told, you do seem to switch goals every week or two. I understand you’re currently dealing with an injury, but still.

Fixed. :wink: Really though, a lot of times with protein powders, you get what you pay for quality-wise. The sacks o’ whey available at Costco or Wal-Mart are notorious for causing digestive problems - farts from beyond the grave, upset stomach/the runs, etc.

I’ve mentioned my thoughts on this before. Biotest’s Grow! whey will be about $120 for 8 pounds, but I do believe it’s a higher quality and a better overall product.

Pretty sure supplements were handled in your “stocking up” thread and at least one other thread. There’s nothing new anyone else can tell you.

What do beta alanine and AKG do, and how will they help your particular goals?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Truth be told, you do seem to switch goals every week or two.[/quote]
As is the custom for most 16 year olds.

Not sure if you’re getting tired of seeing me pop up, but anyhow…

I recently hit a reality check that I need to get huge[/quote]
You are huge compared to everyone your age, and you’re on the bigger side for most guys with your training experience. I still suggest dropping 15-20 pounds or so. Dropping a little bodyfat will set you up for better muscular gains in the short-term. To grossly oversimplify, trying to bulk up when you’re already carrying a fair amount of bodyfat increases the chances of gaining more fat than muscle during the bulking phase.

Cleaning up your nutrition, getting on a well-designed program, and maybe a smidgen of cardio will get you where you want to go… for now. Truth be told, you do seem to switch goals every week or two. I understand you’re currently dealing with an injury, but still.

Fixed. :wink: Really though, a lot of times with protein powders, you get what you pay for quality-wise. The sacks o’ whey available at Costco or Wal-Mart are notorious for causing digestive problems - farts from beyond the grave, upset stomach/the runs, etc.

I’ve mentioned my thoughts on this before. Biotest’s Grow! whey will be about $120 for 8 pounds, but I do believe it’s a higher quality and a better overall product.

Pretty sure supplements were handled in your “stocking up” thread and at least one other thread. There’s nothing new anyone else can tell you.

What do beta alanine and AKG do, and how will they help your particular goals?[/quote]
Yeah I’ll shed some fat that’s no problem. As far as nutrition wise it’s not easy to get calories but thankfully mom got got hired at a deli and is getting pounds of chicken and steak. With goals, still the overall one is to have a huge raw total but I’ll admit I have a problem with switching routines too often that’s why I want to start 5/3/1 but have to delay the squat and dead.

I’m sure Biotest has good stuff but $120 for 8lbs is a little out of my budget. In my “stocking up” order I made 2 mistakes buying 2 MHP proteins because of the soy factor. Beta Alinine I heard gives you more endurance through a workout and muscles don’t get fatigues too quickly. And AKG increases nitric oxide. Both of them sound good but aren’t really necessary.

Best protein: whichever one doesn’t make you shit alot

I’ll admit I have a problem with switching routines too often[/quote]
It’s good to recognize this, and to understand that it’s absolutely going to slow you down if you don’t get your training program ADHD under control.

Fair enough. Beta Alanine can be effective for endurance-type work or general strength endurance, but it’s what we might consider a “2nd or 3rd tier” supplement, priority-wise.

This means nothing. As in, increasing nitric oxide levels sounds funky and cool, but has little to do with improved results. The lack of actual effectiveness been talked about for quite a while, and there’s been no real news that I’ve heard of:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/no2_nonsense

Bing. Good catch.

I like NOW brands Whey Isolate (unflavored) cheepest Isolate i have found. Has like 2 ingredients, Whey Isolate, and some immuno-globulins

I’ll admit I have a problem with switching routines too often[/quote]
It’s good to recognize this, and to understand that it’s absolutely going to slow you down if you don’t get your training program ADHD under control.

Fair enough. Beta Alanine can be effective for endurance-type work or general strength endurance, but it’s what we might consider a “2nd or 3rd tier” supplement, priority-wise.

This means nothing. As in, increasing nitric oxide levels sounds funky and cool, but has little to do with improved results. The lack of actual effectiveness been talked about for quite a while, and there’s been no real news that I’ve heard of:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/no2_nonsense

Bing. Good catch.[/quote]
Yeah I know, but I think 5/3/1 will do me good and there’s no need to change a workout that’s proven great results. And yeah I considered AKG and Beta 2nd or 3rd tier, not exactly “must haves” I only have a few must haves. Whey, Dark Matter, creatine, fish oil, multi vitamin, and ZMA

Just eat more quality food.

[quote]Consul wrote:
Just eat more quality food. [/quote]
I’m trying. Like I said earlier, my mom got hired at a deli and gets alot of chicken and steak. I’m going to start buying more off my own too because I know for a fact that I don’t get enough calories/proteins/carbs/fats that a powerlifter should

I know for a fact that I don’t get enough calories/proteins/carbs/fats that a powerlifter should[/quote]
Dude, you’re killing me. You’ve been saying pretty much this exact thing for over a month. Really? Nothing’s been able to change on that front since early December?

I have no idea how hectic your daily life could possibly be that you can’t get a good breakfast, a good lunch, a good dinner, and a shake or two, seven days a week. Not trying to pry into your personal business or family finances or anything, but something’s weird here.

I’m glad your mom got the new job and you’ve got a deli connection now, so that’s one less excuse right there. And if you can start buying, or even cooking/preparing more of your own meals, even better.

But with thread after thread talking about supplements, goals, and training programs, you’re going to make zero, I mean Ze-Ro, progress if you can’t figure out this “eating food thing.” It doesn’t have to be complicated, but it does have to be consistent.

Spend your accupuncturist money on food. problem solved.

[quote]Consul wrote:
Just eat more quality food. [/quote]
I’m trying. Like I said earlier, my mom got hired at a deli and gets alot of chicken and steak. I’m going to start buying more off my own too because I know for a fact that I don’t get enough calories/proteins/carbs/fats that a powerlifter should
[/quote]

Eat the chicken and steak with veggies and good carb sources, and drink the occasional shake. Add in some olive oil and nuts, and you’re all set.

Edit: seriously, don’t get stressed about eating. If you get enough protein and calories in each day, then you’ll be fine. 1g/pound of BW is a good goal for protein. Get plenty of good fats, and eat enough carbs to support your training. No need to worry about the small details e.g. numerous supplements you’ve talked about.

I know for a fact that I don’t get enough calories/proteins/carbs/fats that a powerlifter should[/quote]
Dude, you’re killing me. You’ve been saying pretty much this exact thing for over a month. Really? Nothing’s been able to change on that front since early December?

I have no idea how hectic your daily life could possibly be that you can’t get a good breakfast, a good lunch, a good dinner, and a shake or two, seven days a week. Not trying to pry into your personal business or family finances or anything, but something’s weird here.

I’m glad your mom got the new job and you’ve got a deli connection now, so that’s one less excuse right there. And if you can start buying, or even cooking/preparing more of your own meals, even better.

But with thread after thread talking about supplements, goals, and training programs, you’re going to make zero, I mean Ze-Ro, progress if you can’t figure out this “eating food thing.” It doesn’t have to be complicated, but it does have to be consistent.[/quote]
I know it sounds dumb that I can’t find time for meals but it’s the truth. I don’t know how much money I could possibly spend on food and protein, I’ll be broke in no time. I got 400 personal, 300 in 1 bank, 1300 in the other. 400 bucks won’t last me too long especially if I have to keep paying off my mom for pounds and pounds of chicken and steak. Not counting the $100 bag of whey I’ll probably end up getting. I know it’s easy to get good meals but right now not getting enough is really pissing me off. My whole family thinks the only big meal should be dinner they just have random shit throughout the day

Breakfest- 5 eggs (very cheap) couple pieces of toast with butter, scoop of whey in milk

Lunch- pound of some sort of meat. 2 cups rice

Shake 1- 2 scoops whey+ 2 tbs PB+banana in milk

Dinner- pound of meat 1 cup rice

shake 2- 2 scoops whey, cottage cheese, 2 tbs pb

I’m almost positive if you eat this consistently you will grow. The foods i listed are not that expensive either. Ask your mom if you can have some designated cash to buy your own foods.

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
Breakfest- 5 eggs (very cheap) couple pieces of toast with butter, scoop of whey in milk

Lunch- pound of some sort of meat. 2 cups rice

Shake 1- 2 scoops whey+ 2 tbs PB+banana in milk

Dinner- pound of meat 1 cup rice

shake 2- 2 scoops whey, cottage cheese, 2 tbs pb

I’m almost positive if you eat this consistently you will grow. The foods i listed are not that expensive either. Ask your mom if you can have some designated cash to buy your own foods. [/quote]
thanks for the meal plan I would definitely do that. I’ll work on it, the only concern ( but I’ll deal with it ) is how much whey. I guess I’ll spend $200 on the 10lb bags. I have 50 servings right now and with the 20lbs, that will last me like 3.5 months I have no idea how I can afford that while still being in school. I guess I’ll give it a shot though

Try to depend on whole foods instead of whey. A bag of frozen chicken breast is dirt cheap now a days. You can find some fatty steaks that will also be fairly cheap and provide tons of calories.

Don’t get Optimum brand -just tried a tub of their ‘Gold’ whey and was surprised at how poor the quality was, definitely felt a fraction weaker and flat in the gym.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Don’t get Optimum brand -just tried a tub of their ‘Gold’ whey and was surprised at how poor the quality was, definitely felt a fraction weaker and flat in the gym. [/quote]

It’s just whey though, faster absorbing protein(compared to casein). How and what are you comparing it to?

I wouldnt think whey products have much difference when they are in the same form of say isolates or hydrosylates, other than impurities (heavy metals). More expensive brands tend to be ‘purer’ or better quality when just comparing isolates. Gold is whey isolates mainly with added ‘digestive enzymes’,extra glutamine and BCAA, and whey hydrosylates. Whey hydrosylates absorb even faster than isolates, but they taste chalkier and are more expensive due to more processing.

Point is, I dont really see how ON specifically or wallmart protein for that matter would make you feel weaker unless you have stomach issues?

Maybe instead of some preworkout like Anaconda you took before you just took Whey and expected same effect?

that will last me like 3.5 months I have no idea how I can afford that while still being in school.
[/quote]

Get a job? I’m not sure what minimum wage is wherever you live, but I’d be willing to bet you can make an extra 200 dollars over the course of 3.5 months… If it’s important to you, you’ll find a way.