T Nation

Is There a Good Free Program?

I want a program that focuses more on increasing lower body strength and explosiveness. I still want to get my upper body stronger though. I don’t really know enough to set up my own program, and was hoping you guys could recommend a good program for my needs. My goals are to improve my vertical jump, speed, and overall body strength.

This is one of my goals when my left leg gets back to 100%. My plan is to relearn the Olympic Lifts.

gotta find me some wheels with 2" centers at the junkyard and get some good strong collars for my bar.

I look forward to freaking out the neighbors.

There are plenty of great routines to be found on T-Nation, and undoubtedly others will chime in with their favorites. IMO you can’t beat the Olyes for explosive power.

Do a search for Westside For Skinny Bastards III although I and II are good also. Im not sure if you can get III on here or if you have to get it from EliteFTS.com, but all three editions are free.

Starting Strength by Mark Rippietoe is also a good one for overall strength. WSSB might be better as far as speed and vertical jump go, I haven’t done any West side routines, so I couldn’t tell you for sure.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
This is one of my goals when my left leg gets back to 100%. My plan is to relearn the Olympic Lifts.

gotta find me some wheels with 2" centers at the junkyard and get some good strong collars for my bar.

I look forward to freaking out the neighbors.

There are plenty of great routines to be found on T-Nation, and undoubtedly others will chime in with their favorites. IMO you can’t beat the Olyes for explosive power.[/quote]

why would your neighbors give a shit?

haha I love all the people on here that think they are intimidating or freaky because they lift weights. Do you scream or something? In my experience, that is just annoying and unpleasant, but I have never known ANYBODY to be freaked out by weightlifting.

hahaha

lol, no I don’t scream. I just know they’re gonna wonder if my proverbial cheese has slid off my proverbial cracker when they see me tossing a car axle around, wheels and all.

Maybe they’re freaked out because you say things like “proverbial cheese.”

[quote]fisch wrote:
I want a program that focuses more on increasing lower body strength and explosiveness. I still want to get my upper body stronger though. I don’t really know enough to set up my own program, and was hoping you guys could recommend a good program for my needs. My goals are to improve my vertical jump, speed, and overall body strength.[/quote]

Like I mentioned yesterday in your other thread about improving your vertical, Joe DeFranco has some good info out there.

If you can’t slap together your own routine, that’s fine. Depending on your training experience, the easiest route would be to go for Starting Strength or Westside for Skinny Bastards, and do it by the book. Combined with your regular basketball practice, you should do fine.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
Maybe they’re freaked out because you say things like “proverbial cheese.”[/quote]

or maybe because I have a proverbial cracker?

:slight_smile:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
eeu743 wrote:
Maybe they’re freaked out because you say things like “proverbial cheese.”

or maybe because I have a proverbial cracker?

:)[/quote]

What is WRONG with you? That shit doesn’t even make sense…you are proverbially retarded.

[quote]
What is WRONG with you? That shit doesn’t even make sense…you are proverbially retarded.[/quote]

lol

Robert Dos Remedios’ Men’s Health Power Training is a great resource for $15 at your local bookstore or Amazon.

Otherwise De Franco’s stuff is great as well.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Robert Dos Remedios’ Men’s Health Power Training is a great resource for $15 at your local bookstore or Amazon.

Otherwise De Franco’s stuff is great as well.[/quote]

I’m sure your suggestion is appreciated, but I don’t think anyone needs to spend money on a program. There are plenty of free resources … right here at this very site.

Chris mentioned Starting Strength and Westside, both excellent strength programs. Stronglifts is another great program, even has a spreadsheet with it.

I think you are on the right track in your young athletic career, just stay focused, consistently lift, and eat. That will become the most difficult variable in the equation of success - consistently pumping the iron. Best of luck to you.