T Nation

Is the Super Bowl Fixed?

I think the super bowl is fixed, for ratings and money. Think about it the last play where Wilson threw the ball. If they really want to win they run the ball. I also think deflategate was only pushed for ratings. After the super bowl a report came out that said only 1 ball was underinflated, after they initially said 11 balls were. What do you guys think.

Fascinating.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I fucking knew it. God damn you Beans.

Well, there’s the proof.

The only reason to fix the super bowl is for gambling, not ratings or money.

Part of me thought and still thinks that deflategate was somewhat of a publicity stunt. It got people fired up and talking about the Superbowl.

As far as the last pass, there’s been lots of explanation as to why throwing was a good idea (barring a crystal ball). But even if you think it was a bad idea, explain to me how the outcome of the last play affects ratings or money. Everyone who was going to watch the game already watched it. People who didn’t watch it still didn’t watch it. Literally nothing changes in terms of ratings based on the outcome of that pass. Doesn’t matter if it’s intercepted, caught for a TD, or dropped.

The pass probably did get more people talking about the game afterwards, but that doesn’t matter much to the NFL. It’s not like it will increase ratings for next year much.

It was a good game that was interesting to watch. But if you think the Superbowl is somehow rigged to be interesting, you should watch last year. Lots of Superbowls have been blowouts.

The NFL is not fixed. The Superbowl is not fixed.

The NFL makes 9 billion a year. They have a goal of making 25 billion a year in like 10 years or something. There absolutely no reason to fix anything. It’s fun to watch, there is drama, it’s emotional, and if you understand the game it is fucking badass. There are two teams from some City in the US that play for the title in the biggest single game event in sports every year.

There is no official report saying there is only 1 ball deflated. As of right now there were 11 out of 12 balls under legal air pressure officially.

The Seattle pass play in the Superbowl was just a really dumb call and possibly the worst call in sports history. Who in their right mind would agree to do that? Head Coaches associated with a call like that are flirting with career suicide.

No.

but then again that murdering piece of shit excuse of a human being thinks Tom Brady is overrated.

No.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

but then again that murdering piece of shit excuse of a human being thinks Tom Brady is overrated.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2329848-ray-lewis-says-the-tuck-rule-is-the-only-reason-people-know-of-tom-brady[/quote]

Jesus, he didn’t murder anyone. My God enough already.

It’s one thing to say it’s intentional. It’s another thing to say it’s fixed. And before you get all crazy on me Lewis say a lot of dumb shit. 95% of his sentence aren’t even sentences.

He said something stupid and back tracked. It happens all the time.

Here’s the thing:

Football cannot be “fixed” at the players or coaches level; players have to “sell out” to play right/avoid injury and coaches have to sell out/work insane hours to keep their jobs.

And the problem with “fixing” at the league-wide level is just too many billions at stake, every single year.
(ie. so why mess up a good thing?)

edit - looks like mbdix already covered it

[quote]mbdix wrote:

The NFL makes 9 billion a year. They have a goal of making 25 billion a year in like 10 years or something. There absolutely no reason to fix anything. It’s fun to watch, there is drama, it’s emotional, and if you understand the game it is fucking badass. There are two teams from some City in the US that play for the title in the biggest single game event in sports every year.

There is no official report saying there is only 1 ball deflated. As of right now there were 11 out of 12 balls under legal air pressure officially.

The Seattle pass play in the Superbowl was just a really dumb call and possibly the worst call in sports history. Who in their right mind would agree to do that? Head Coaches associated with a call like that are flirting with career suicide. [/quote]

Nothing official has been reported by the NFL, but there you go again with your bullshit trying to make the Pats look bad.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

The Seattle pass play in the Superbowl was just a really dumb call and possibly the worst call in sports history. Who in their right mind would agree to do that? Head Coaches associated with a call like that are flirting with career suicide. [/quote]

Nothing official has been reported by the NFL, but there you go again with your bullshit trying to make the Pats look bad.
[/quote]

Partially correct. Nothing official has come out yet from the league yet. I should not have said ‘official’

I am not trying to make the Pats look bad. I was going off what was reported by what I believed to be a credible NFL reporter who said he had received his information from someone with the NFL. After the Brian Williams incidents who knows who is credible anymore.

I am more than happy not to comment on this case until the investigation is complete and the results released. If it comes back that the Pats did in fact cheat I had absolutely zero to do with it. If it is found that it was an organization decision to knowingly break the rules I will be expecting the most severe punishment ever issued to a sports franchise to take place. If they did not cheat I will admit I was wrong for thinking they have a culture of cheating.

the referees are were the fix is in, they can control the outcome of a game. Think back to the Seahawks vs Steelers Super bowl in 2005. Referees clearly decided that game.

Not fixed. A less than ideal pass play was read properly by a defensive back who jumped the route.

[quote]aliceinchains wrote:
the referees are were the fix is in, they can control the outcome of a game. Think back to the Seahawks vs Steelers Super bowl in 2005. Referees clearly decided that game.[/quote]

No the refs aren’t in on a fix. 2012 nfl ref lockout. Do you think if the refs had some type of fix information that the two sides would have gotten to a point where there was a lockout and replacement refs had to be used?

Refs are humans, they make mistakes and sometimes factors can cause them to not be 100% in their decision making process. Ex: Dez Bryant caught that damn football. But, there is not a fix.

This would have to be collusion on an epic level.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
This would have to be collusion on an epic level. [/quote]

Right. And all done for absolutely zero gain. All risk with a best case scenario of zero reward.