Is The Pump Necessary?

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:
The advantage of getting a good pump is that it gets increased blood flow to your muscles therefore shuttling in nutrients and shuttling out waste products. Plus it looks damn good! [/quote]

But doesn’t that mean there is a decreased blood flow to your stomach? [/quote]

If so, why would that matter?

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:
The advantage of getting a good pump is that it gets increased blood flow to your muscles therefore shuttling in nutrients and shuttling out waste products. Plus it looks damn good! [/quote]

If so, why would that matter?[/quote]

Okay, I may have this wrong but…

An advantage is that more blood to that muscle so more nutrients

But doesn’t that in turn mean that there is less blood that is actually absorbing nutrients from your intestines/stomach to deliver to those muscles?

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

But doesn’t that in turn mean that there is less blood that is actually absorbing nutrients from your intestines/stomach to deliver to those muscles?

[/quote]

Too much thought behind this lol…Just train!

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[/quote]

Too much thought behind this lol…Just train![/quote]

Oh I agree completely…this was just for discussions sake.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Elite0423 wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve always been under the impression that the pump doesn’t mean that you’ve stimulated growth. While I certainly don’t train for it, I have some bodyparts that always seem to get a decent pump when training, and others that never do. Obviously if the ones that never felt pumped hadn’t been stimulated to grow at all, I like to think that I would have noticed by now.

S[/quote]

So you think a pump isn’t necessary. Are the same body parts that don’t get a pump your weaker body parts by any chance? [/quote]

Correct. You’re strongest bodyparts will pump the easiest and you might even have difficulty in getting a pump in weak ones.

I used to get a pump in my quads from walking up several flights of stairs, while I felt little in my calves, one of my weaker bodyparts. I get a pump in my bis and traps very easily still, despite the fact that I’m considerably smaller than I once was.

I found pre-exhaust to be THEE best technique in getting better innervation and pump in a muscle. [/quote]

When I read this first I thought immediately that by Strongest you meant Largest muscle groups, but you also mentioned bis and traps and thought I’ve read it wrong. I’ve been using fat grips a lot lately and feel the “pump” feeling in the forearms faster than before (expected) on most of the upper body exercises.

This question is open to anyone, Does the “pumped” feeling people are referring to refer to the quality of not being able to perform another rep or see visible volume, stretching of skin in the muscle being worked on? I always liken it to a tight feeling in the muscle being worked on, and while I admit I aim for this “feeling” I wonder how much it contributes to muscles getting bigger.

Something I’ve always wondered (note: “wondered” not obsessed about) Is if having a good pump is good for muscle growth, then wouldn’t having a cold shower after training to “cool off” be bad. As it causes the blood in your system to rush to your chest/heart? Always wonder this in the shower after working out.

White: Are you serious?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
White: Are you serious? [/quote]

I don’t think it’s much worse of a question than the OP.

I think it was Bret Contreras who wrote that the “pump” tends to occur in exercises in which the peak loading occurs when the muscles is fully contracted, while exercises in which the peak loading occurs when the muscle is stretched tend to result in more soreness.

I’ve noticed this to generaly hold true, but I notice that MMC plays a big part in how much an exercise pumps a muscle…it’s usually easier to pump up with isolation movements, and I think that is why

I’m not sure I buy the whole “increased bloodflow” benefit that the pump brings, as our circulatory system is already pretty damn efficient…I think that the benefits (if any) come primarily from the psychological feeling of being pumped up, and maybe fascial stretching.

muscle growth is signaled on the last couple reps where you are grinding to finish them…the pump is just a byproduct, and it is not going to induce growth…

I wouldn’t do exercises just to pump blood in my muscles…I take isolation exercises to failure just like i do with my compounds…

that being said…if your not getting a pump, then you are probably using poor form or you are using exercises that are not very effective at stimulating that paticular muscle…

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
White: Are you serious? [/quote]

Hahaha I know. It’s something I’ve always wondered, not that I’m going to stop doing it.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

I see what you’re getting at but during training, your stomach should be relatively empty having already digested and absorbed the nutrients of your pre-workout meal. And your peri-workout drink (Surge or something similar) doesn’t require any digestion to be absorbed so it’s not an issue. I understand bringing up things like that just for discussion and I’m for it. It seems lately here on TN, many are so quick to flame or jump on someone if they “think too much” or ask a simple/silly question that might not be so obvious to someone new to the iron game. I swear it’s getting more and more like Bodybuilding.com in here…a very disturbing thought.

[/quote]

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

[quote]Clown Face wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:

I see what you’re getting at but during training, your stomach should be relatively empty having already digested and absorbed the nutrients of your pre-workout meal. And your peri-workout drink (Surge or something similar) doesn’t require any digestion to be absorbed so it’s not an issue. I understand bringing up things like that just for discussion and I’m for it. It seems lately here on TN, many are so quick to flame or jump on someone if they “think too much” or ask a simple/silly question that might not be so obvious to someone new to the iron game. I swear it’s getting more and more like Bodybuilding.com in here…a very disturbing thought.

[/quote]

My most responsive body parts pump up the easiest and are also the ones that I can “feel” the best when I train them. Could be better innervation of that muscle. The least easiest to pump and feel are the hardest to develop.

I’ve always been able to pump up enormously and I get the same level of pump in both my strongest and weakest body parts for what it’s worth.

[quote]1morerep wrote:
I’ve always been able to pump up enormously and I get the same level of pump in both my strongest and weakest body parts for what it’s worth. [/quote]

1morerep, is there any difference in the training method on the stronger and weaker muscle groups? More sets, different exercises, different program? Thank you.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
The fact is no one here knows for certain, there are too many variables.

The one thing I can say for certain though is that if you aren’t getting a pump, you probably aren’t working hard enough (with the exception of being completely wired, stims reduce the pump significantly).

[/quote]

I tend to agree but ,in my experience, an heavy rest pause set of 3 reps (20’ between each reps) with 92/95% of my1rm causes a pump very limited compared to a straight set of 8 reps with 80% of my1rm.
does it mean that less pump=less growing?
I’m not sure as with heavier weights (and short tul) I recruite almost all fibers of muscles worked since first rep while with “lighter” weights (and longer tuls) it’s just the last rep who should recruit all the fibers.

also, longer tul=more pumping=more lactic acid?
wasn’t rest pause invented to avoid too much lactic acid who is responsable for stopping muscular contractions???

Mike from Italy/anyway as I don’t know all the (pumping/growth) situation I tend to do an all-out (heavy) set, rest then enother set with less weight,more reps,longer tul, not just a “pumping” set ,a working set longer…

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]1morerep wrote:
I’ve always been able to pump up enormously and I get the same level of pump in both my strongest and weakest body parts for what it’s worth. [/quote]

1morerep, is there any difference in the training method on the stronger and weaker muscle groups? More sets, different exercises, different program? Thank you.
[/quote]

I suppose because I was thinking strong (arms) and weak (calves). My arms are about 17" cold but can measure 18" when pumped. And my calves when viewed cold are quite lagging but after a calf workout it actually looks like I have calves! They get really pumped and I’m not doing very high reps either. Same with my chest. Compared to my arms and delts, it’s lagging but it pumps up big time no matter what rep range I use. Genetics again I presume. There are some guys in my gym who do set after set of a given muscle group and it hardly changes appearance at all.