T Nation

Is the Palaeo Diet Stupid?

Now I’m no nutritional biochemist but I think that diets which completely cut out so many food groups are bad for healthy, active individuals.

I have a couple of friends who swear by it, they claim that the food groups in their diet were the only ones which were eaten by our palaeolithic ancestors (since when did they have olive oil 40,000 years ago?).

Well our ancestors did many other things which would be considered nothing short of barbaric now. E.g. cannibalism, blood drinking and their omega-3 didn’t come from salmon or fish oil, no it involved cracking open animal skulls and sucking out the insides. They ate ANYTHING which was edible and didn’t eat them first.
Well these ‘experts’ also forgot to mention that these people also lived to a ripe old age of 35 (there would been many dangers, but surely diet played a part in deciding there lifespan).

I’m convinced that eating the right GI foods at certain times is very important but is it really wise to cut out wholegrains, dairy and even pulses(!) from the diet? completely?

I think the paleo, when correctly applied today, is a great thing. No, we dont crack open skulls and eat the ooze inside anymore, but eating only meats, nuts, berries, and vegetables (we they around) is an excellent way to eat. Who said we “need” whole grains? And dont get me started on dairy!!! All the over-processed shit they come out with today, “skim milk”! What a sham. If you are going to eat dairy eat Greek full-fat yogurt and raw milk powder.

Ancient people lived until they were 35 not solely because of diet, but becuase of their entire paleolithic nature. Shit, there are humans in parts of the world TODAY that only live until 40, 45.

yes it is wise to cut our grains and dairy for most people

and the vast majority of nutritonists, dieticians, doctors and other medical professionals have no damn idea what a “healthy” diet actually is, all the bullshit they recommend will result in nothing more than increased insulin resistance

[quote]Vik_sh2003 wrote:
Now I’m no nutritional biochemist but I think that diets which completely cut out so many food groups are bad for healthy, active individuals.

I have a couple of friends who swear by it, they claim that the food groups in their diet were the only ones which were eaten by our palaeolithic ancestors (since when did they have olive oil 40,000 years ago?).

Well our ancestors did many other things which would be considered nothing short of barbaric now. E.g. cannibalism, blood drinking and their omega-3 didn’t come from salmon or fish oil, no it involved cracking open animal skulls and sucking out the insides. They ate ANYTHING which was edible and didn’t eat them first.
Well these ‘experts’ also forgot to mention that these people also lived to a ripe old age of 35 (there would been many dangers, but surely diet played a part in deciding there lifespan).

I’m convinced that eating the right GI foods at certain times is very important but is it really wise to cut out wholegrains, dairy and even pulses(!) from the diet? completely?[/quote]

It’s a great way to eat for many people, it’s unsuitable for others. I’d recommend you get away from the binary thinking and come to accept and embrace the differences among human beings. Dairy is absolutely horrible for many people so for them, what you suggest wouldn’t be acceptable or appropriate. There are people in the world who live on nothing but sea life for large parts of the year. What you are suggesting wouldn’t be possible for them.

The notion that there is one diet that is appropriate or ideal for ALL people isn’t accurate and the palaeo approach is a good starting block.

I mostly eat protein, veggies, nuts, and fruit, and I feel great. Try it out and see what it does for you.

Do you Palaeo folks cut out the whey protein shakes and supplements (except maybe herbs?) too?

Do you find you get good results from a supplement-free weight program?

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
Do you Palaeo folks cut out the whey protein shakes and supplements (except maybe herbs?) too?

Do you find you get good results from a supplement-free weight program?[/quote]

Whey is dairy so isn’t allowed on any variation of the diet. Most don’t allow supplements either.

[quote]Vik_sh2003 wrote:
Moon Knight wrote:

Whey is dairy so isn’t allowed on any variation of the diet. Most don’t allow supplements either.[/quote]

Yeah, that is what I figured by way of logic, but I know some people make exceptions for no good reason while still espousing certain general philosophies. Reminds me of this girl that told me she was going to become a vegetarian, by which she meant she was going to give up beef.

I am still curious how someone doing a strict palaeo diet has fared with size, strength, and leanness.

I imagine one could get pretty lean and healthy, and have decent strength. Size especially, and to a lesser extent strength would seem to be limited though by the ability to supplement, especially without whey.

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
Vik_sh2003 wrote:
Moon Knight wrote:

Whey is dairy so isn’t allowed on any variation of the diet. Most don’t allow supplements either.

Yeah, that is what I figured by way of logic, but I know some people make exceptions for no good reason while still espousing certain general philosophies. Reminds me of this girl that told me she was going to become a vegetarian, by which she meant she was going to give up beef.

I am still curious how someone doing a strict palaeo diet has fared with size, strength, and leanness.

I imagine one could get pretty lean and healthy, and have decent strength. Size especially, and to a lesser extent strength would seem to be limited though by the ability to supplement, especially without whey.[/quote]

Supplements are useful but overrated. Reg Park, Steve Reeves - there were plenty of guys getting big before supplements or steroids.