T Nation

Is the Casein/Whey Blend Worth It?

I’m on something of a tight budget. I don’t mind fronting extra cash if something is a quality product, but it’s hard to tell what is worth the money.

So, at $33 for a 2 pound jug, is Metabolic Drive worth it? Secondarily, is the Biotest product that much more superior to, say, Optimum’s casein product which is almost $9 cheaper. I could easily blend the two if the effect is the same.

Metabolic Drive is worth it to me, but this is something each individual needs to decide based on their finances.

If I were strapped for cash I’d probably go with Grow! Whey, however.

bump

I’d go with the Grow! Whey too, you get a lot for $33, and you can use it throughout the day rather than Metabolic Drive which should be taken before sleep.

how many servings are in the other brand?

you get 32 servings for $33 which is reasonable to me :shrug:

[quote]nycsoccax wrote:
I’d go with the Grow! Whey too, you get a lot for $33, and you can use it throughout the day rather than Metabolic Drive which should be taken before sleep.[/quote]

The idea is that Grow! Whey is absorbed too quickly to be used throughout the day, except PWO, while Metabolic Drive can be used any time.

Several people on this site have said they mix a tub of Grow! Whey with a tub of Low-Carb Metabolic Drive. I used to just use the Metabolic Drive, but when I went on a stricter budget I started mixing the 2 together. I still keep them in separate tubs so I can switch out the flavors of Metabolic Drive I want, but you can really stretch out the Metabolic Drive by combining the two. The Grow! Whey by itself doesn’t taste great and my tummy tells me it’s time to eat an hour after I use it. When I add even just 1 part Metabolic Drive to 2 or 3 parts Grow! Whey it seems to be absorbed slower, which is good. It also still tastes good this way.

Yes casein is a superior protein at most times of the day besides PWO. As for comparing Metabolic Drive to ON casein, Metabolic Drive is a blend with both fast acting (isolate and concentrate) and slow-absorbing (casein) proteins. The ON stuff is just casein.

I have bought both and as far as quality goes, Metabolic Drive is clearly a better product. It tastes way better and mixes way better. However, if Metabolic Drive is breaking you at the bank there is nothing wrong with mixing ON casein with some Grow! Whey. That is probably the cheapest route. If you do go that route let it be known that it won’t taste great and it will be a lot harder to mix, but your body probably won’t tell much of a difference.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
how many servings are in the other brand?

you get 32 servings for $33 which is reasonable to me :shrug:[/quote]

$45 for 58 servings

[quote]ajweins wrote:
Yes casein is a superior protein at most times of the day besides PWO. As for comparing Metabolic Drive to ON casein, Metabolic Drive is a blend with both fast acting (isolate and concentrate) and slow-absorbing (casein) proteins. The ON stuff is just casein.

I have bought both and as far as quality goes, Metabolic Drive is clearly a better product. It tastes way better and mixes way better. However, if Metabolic Drive is breaking you at the bank there is nothing wrong with mixing ON casein with some Grow! Whey. That is probably the cheapest route. If you do go that route let it be known that it won’t taste great and it will be a lot harder to mix, but your body probably won’t tell much of a difference.[/quote]

Thanks!

I have the ON casein now and it is terrible alone. The clumping and flavor (vanilla) is appalling. But once its mixed with whey its okay.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
nycsoccax wrote:
I’d go with the Grow! Whey too, you get a lot for $33, and you can use it throughout the day rather than Metabolic Drive which should be taken before sleep.

The idea is that Grow! Whey is absorbed too quickly to be used throughout the day, except PWO, while Metabolic Drive can be used any time.[/quote]

CT used it in the morning before a workout in his thread.

I would absolutely spend the extra cash on a blend. Why not? You get the best of both worlds of protein.

Metabolic Drive really isn’t too spendy when it comes to blends. I like to migrate through Metabolic Drive, Bomber Blend, and EvoPro. They are all pretty much the same price plus or minus a few bucks(All though Dave does give you a quantity discount on the Bomber Blend) and they all taste and mix excellent. Which is something I can’t say for the ON Casein product.

I would also point out that it depends on your goals. As far as casein being better due to slow absorption, I’ve found that when used during the day, it actually makes it hard to eat often enough for gaining size. Better for dieting or at night. Straight whey is better during the day. No need to mix with casein when eating frequently.

While it is good value for money, it doesn’t last long enough for it to be cost effective imo. Apart from the fact it cost alot more for me to order it, I did try it, but cost wise I now just buy WPC and blend it with other stuff.

If slow absorption is that important, mix it with cottage cheese. Throughout the day you should be eating often enough so you don’t need to worry about your body running out of protein.

I could easily go through a tub in a week, and I just can’t afford that.

No one has mentioned taste. I’m hooked on MD. It’s kinda pricey, but after buying ON’s choclate casein and almost puking it’s worth it to me. Then again, I’m not trying to budget.

[quote]markdp wrote:
No one has mentioned taste. I’m hooked on MD. It’s kinda pricey, but after buying ON’s choclate casein and almost puking it’s worth it to me. Then again, I’m not trying to budget.[/quote]

Of course, MD rocks hard. I’d eat nothing else but MD, Olive oil, and heavy cream if someone told me it was okay.

Personally I think it also depends how often you are using it.

Obviously a blend is ideal, but if you are eating solid foods for 90% of your meals and using whey once a day or less i doubt it matters, conversely if you one of those 3 solid meals and 3 shakes guys i would think a blend becomes more important.

Just my two cents