Is the 300 Workout Crap?

Hi whats so wrong with this workout? I see it something like a HIT cardio session or the like.

25 pullups
50 deads at 135
50 push ups
50 box jumps
50 floor wipers at 135
50 one arm kettle clean and presses at 37lb
25 pullups

my buddy did it in 16:50 and i did it in 17:59 and it ruined us both for a good 30-60 minutes after. so some “good stuff” has to be happening

What are you trying to achieve in doing this workout?

It’s a novelty workout. There’s no real reason to do it, other than for a lark.

Besides, have you seen all the youtube videos of skinny/weak/fat/out of shape people who love doing it? That should tell you something.

I second Brant_Drake. The workout’s not that important.

I’m not gonna argue with Mark Twight, who designed the program and got the actors ripped for 300. Mark makes a living in the fitness industry, I don’t. I can’t knock that.

However think about what the point is. Are the weights heavy enough to cause a strength adaptation? Are the rest periods short enough to cause a lactic-acid build-up? Are you doing it enough to increase your endurance?

Because chances are, it’s a workout that will kick your ass, take your name, and then just leave you broken and sore for the next couple of days, without a compensating growth period.

i just see it similar to the following idea based on time/intensity

run 200m
perform some weighted excersise (cleans, snatches, floor presses, etc)

repeat for 2 miles

i think these types of excersises are good also for building mental toughness - Dont listen to that negative littl effer that sits on the top of your shoulders

and im not sore today -

Dan John named it the Litvinov Workout]

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/the_litvinov_workout&cr=

Honestly, unless you have the mental stamina of steel I think most people lack the commitment to make the 300 workout effective. The actors had coaches pushing them during the whole thing, no slacking, no dilly dallying. Watch the interview of Mark Twight, he says if an actor comes in looking soft he socks it to them. Are you willing to be that hardcore to yourself?

See, I thought that the 300 workout as described above was something the actors did at the beginning and and the end of their time with Mark Twight. The times then being compared to track the actors improvement.

It is really just a test of endurance and not something to be done on a regular basis. (unless the goal is to be skinny)

im pretty sure that this isent a “workout”.
i thought i remember reading a while ago that this was more of a physical test for the actors. and that infact there was another program as well that used more weights.

so this isent a program it was just something they did at the end of their actual programs to test their strength levels

Christine’s right.

OP if you have to choose between no exercise and doing the 300 workout then it is not crappy. Also it depends on what your goals are with your physique and the fitness level you want to achieve or maintain. The reality is that a lot of the extras and leads did weight training before and or during the movie’s filming.

Notably Gerard Butler was training like a savage with another personal trainer in the gym and suffered a few nasty injuries that he had to work around. During that time he used Mark Twight’s workout to help lean him out.

You can achieve a limited strength gain from the 300 type of workout but it will do more to build endurance and athletic fitness vs the movie spartan body. Remember they used some digital effects to enhance the physiques along with make-up.

If you see a lot of the self-proclaimed 300 workouts online you’ll see a lot of light-weight lean guys that are the malnourished versions of the “movie spartans”

Though its your perception and those around you that count and doing the workout can establish a good foundation to further fitness goals in the future.

I agree with whats been said its more of a test. I mean doing 25 pullups is fantastic however if you can do 25 you wont build a bigger back just doing 25 at the begining and end of the workout you need to do 8 reps with added wheight for 4-6 sets I mean really you wont gain anything from this workout but I guess it could be a nice change/challenge to do say once every couple of months??

50 Deadlifts at 135 pounds? What a waste of time.

If you go to the “Gym Jones” website and look at the stats of the guys on the site they’ve got relativly modest numbers for the most part.

If you do the 300 workout and you time yourself, you will get faster at the 300 workout. Then you will figure out that you didn’t actually get any faster or stronger. You just got more efficient at doing the 300 workout.

[quote]yasser wrote:
Honestly, unless you have the mental stamina of steel I think most people lack the commitment to make the 300 workout effective. The actors had coaches pushing them during the whole thing, no slacking, no dilly dallying. Watch the interview of Mark Twight, he says if an actor comes in looking soft he socks it to them. Are you willing to be that hardcore to yourself?[/quote]

i did it in 17 minutes and 59 seconds so probability.

I dont think anyone is saying only do this or this workout will get you to look like the movie people, My idea is that this could be used as a replacement for HIT cardio days or on off days when not lifting “real” weights - I would never do this daily as it left me in a non functional state for about a hour - ie i couldnt really move, sit, pick up my head, had to shit and puke at the same time. The same feeling i get when i do weighted hill sprints or other stuff that makes my heart explode.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:

If you do the 300 workout and you time yourself, you will get faster at the 300 workout. Then you will figure out that you didn’t actually get any faster or stronger. You just got more efficient at doing the 300 workout. [/quote]

couldnt you say the same thing about say the bench press? that by training it you only got better at benching?

i never suggested that this is all i do or i expect this workout to turn me into those movie guys - i guess the disdain for it is that people say if you do this you will look like the movie. Which is bullshit and you have to be an idiot to think that. i do think it is worth something - for me at least.

Which makes the point of this thread moot.

Possibly. The interview I watched did not specify one way or the other.

Uh, ok. I wasn’t saying this one way or the other.

Cool. Everyone does something hard the first time, it’s the will you do it when your wiped, feel like crap, or didn’t sleep well etc.

ok - so my new point is that this thing i did was hard. actually really freaking hard - i see alot of people here ask what are you goals etc and i never really had a goal - so my goal is to be able to do really freaking hard stuff better then the proverbial “you”

[quote]tawl17 wrote:
ok - so my new point is that this thing i did was hard. actually really freaking hard - i see alot of people here ask what are you goals etc and i never really had a goal - so my goal is to be able to do really freaking hard stuff better then the proverbial “you”[/quote]

Harder than consistent long-term dedication and hard work?

Not so much.

did you ever try it? i doubt you have - let me explain - the physical test of the workout is not too hard - its all pretty easy. its more of a test of mental toughness. I dont train for this workout - i did it once last year and posted 21+ minutes. i tried it again yesterday and did 18 minutes

if you have tried it then post your number and ill weigh your opinion on how hard it is based on that.

if you have never tried it - how can you assess how hard it is?

[quote]tawl17 wrote:
did you ever try it? i doubt you have - let me explain - the physical test of the workout is not too hard - its all pretty easy. its more of a test of mental toughness. I dont train for this workout - i did it once last year and posted 21+ minutes. i tried it again yesterday and did 18 minutes

if you have tried it then post your number and ill weigh your opinion on how hard it is based on that.

if you have never tried it - how can you assess how hard it is?

[/quote]

Ok, I did it in 4 minutes because I’m a bad ass Spartan.

Come on man, asking for any sort of number over the internet is an exercise in futility . . .

You even said that physically it’s not that difficult - it’s a mental challenge. I’m saying that a real challenge is consistently eating right and lifting right for years, and actually getting better in what counts, not some fad “workout.”

Eech. I hate wasting my time arguing over the interweb.

so you never did it

the workouts i do for strength gains are not hard at all compared to doing this.

doing them everyday sure maybe that is the hard part

if your point is that doing a low rep high weight workout is harder then doing this - you are wrong

if your point is that doing a low rep high weight workout every day for a year is harder then doing this once then you are correct!

let me make it more clear - this is harder then what you did during your last workout

and consistency is not at all a physical trait - having a good body is about priority and organization - the actual workouts arent what i would call hard at all.

sorry to be harsh - but facts are you have no idea of the intensity of doing this, and to comment the being consistent is harder - you are not comparing the same thing.

until i learned how to squat correctly i didnt truly respect those massive number that people can do.

try it out - you will only “waste” a half hour of your life, and maybe you might learn something about yourself in the process.