T Nation

Is That Jack Reacher?!?


This is supposed to be the first pic of Jack Reacher from his self-titled debut movie…coming in December.

All I see is Tom Cruise. I’m so confused!

Maybe Jack Reacher is still in the car, or in some diner in the background finishing his coffee and will soon come out an kick Tom Cruise’s fruity Scientological ass up to his ear (a grand total of 14 inches) that’s all I can guess…it must be some tease for the audience.

No. That’s James Stretcher.

If you can see how odd it is for Tom Cruise to play a 6’5" 250lb ex MP then anyone can!

Could this be a future “what i hate in movies” entry?

[quote]Cuso wrote:
Could this be a future “what i hate in movies” entry?[/quote]

This sort of thing deserves its own thread.

Here’s a little bit about Jack Reacher (a fictional hero from a series of novels) and see if Tom Cruise is the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth or even seventeenth actor you’d choose to play him.

Reacher is a giant, standing at 6’ 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100â??115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He has very little body fat, and his muscular physique is completely natural (he reveals in Persuader, he has never been an exercise enthusiast.) He is exceptionally strong but is not a good runner.[3] Reacher is strong enough to break a man’s neck with one hand (Bad Luck and Trouble) and kill a villain with a single punch to the head (Running Blind and 61 Hours) or chest (Worth Dying For). In a fight against a 7 foot, 400 lb steroid-using thug (Persuader), Reacher was able to lift his opponent into the air and drop him on his head.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Cuso wrote:
Could this be a future “what i hate in movies” entry?[/quote]

This sort of thing deserves its own thread.

Here’s a little bit about Jack Reacher (a fictional hero from a series of novels) and see if Tom Cruise is the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth or even seventeenth actor you’d choose to play him.

Reacher is a giant, standing at 6’ 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100â??115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair. He has very little body fat, and his muscular physique is completely natural (he reveals in Persuader, he has never been an exercise enthusiast.) He is exceptionally strong but is not a good runner.[3] Reacher is strong enough to break a man’s neck with one hand (Bad Luck and Trouble) and kill a villain with a single punch to the head (Running Blind and 61 Hours) or chest (Worth Dying For). In a fight against a 7 foot, 400 lb steroid-using thug (Persuader), Reacher was able to lift his opponent into the air and drop him on his head.
[/quote]

Jeese eisenberg immediately springs to mind here.

Maybe Cruise plays Reacher after he’s left the Army, which would be Hollywood’s way to bend Child’s story to their liking…profit

Well sure…we all shrink after we leave the army.

I’m still hoping this is a joke and the real actor will be revealed soon…

I just don’t see how Tom Cruise can play the part, especially since large plot points hinge on Reacher’s size and strength. Look at the plot of One Shot (the book being made into the film) a significant PLOT point is the girl killed by a single blow to the head from a large attacker and the subsequent search for Reacher. Sadly I can see a lot of martial arts Mission Impossible style fighting instead of the brute force used in the books.

[quote]Cuso wrote:
Maybe Cruise plays Reacher after he’s left the Army, which would be Hollywood’s way to bend Child’s story to their liking…profit[/quote]

Reacher has left the army in all but 2 (?) of the books.

Nah.

I always pictured Reacher as a tall, strong, muscular Aryan looking man. Shit.

I guess Dolf Lundgreen is too old for the role. What about Dwayne Johnson with a wig and contact lenses? Or some unknown scandinavian actor?

Or do they just want Tom Cruise to sprint somewhere?

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Nah.

I always pictured Reacher as a tall, strong, muscular Aryan looking man. Shit.

I guess Dolf Lundgreen is too old for the role. What about Dwayne Johnson with a wig and contact lenses? Or some unknown scandinavian actor?

Or do they just want Tom Cruise to sprint somewhere?[/quote]

The Rock is one of the few these days I can picture playing Reacher. I usually don’t mind too much when movies change a character’s physical appearance, but Reacher is supposed to huge and incredibly strong and Tom Cruise just cannot portray that, but I can almost believe the Rock killing a guy with one blow to the head or picking up a 400 pound guy.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Nah.

I always pictured Reacher as a tall, strong, muscular Aryan looking man. Shit.

I guess Dolf Lundgreen is too old for the role. What about Dwayne Johnson with a wig and contact lenses? Or some unknown scandinavian actor?

Or do they just want Tom Cruise to sprint somewhere?[/quote]

Chris Hemsworth would fit well.

I actually started a thread on this subject back when it was first announced that Cruise was playing Reacher. I think it was titled “Jack Reacher fans, prepare ro weep”. This is so incredibly frustrating and such a terrible casting decision. Hollywood really knows how to ruin things. It really sucks that Cruise has enough money that he can basically buy his way into a role, whether he is suited for it or not.

I had never thought of Hemsworth for the role…that might have worked. My own mental picture of Reacher always looked more like Liev Schriber. I think he has the size to play the role, and he’s definitely a good actor.

[quote]BradyZ wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Nah.

I always pictured Reacher as a tall, strong, muscular Aryan looking man. Shit.

I guess Dolf Lundgreen is too old for the role. What about Dwayne Johnson with a wig and contact lenses? Or some unknown scandinavian actor?

Or do they just want Tom Cruise to sprint somewhere?[/quote]

Chris Hemsworth would fit well.[/quote]

Yep…give him a high and tight…clean shave.

go to Facebook / reacher friends…and like it. Post comments if you wish. Absolutely ridiculous!!!

Look at who played the new Conan the Barbarian. Or Goku in the Dragonball movie. This shouldn’t be surprising.

I didnt think the new Conan was as bad off as Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. But still…not a surprise from Hollywood

Why oh why did you have to bring this up again? Just when I had convinced myself it was a cruel prank played on Reacher fans, you have to remind me it’s not.

This is payback for Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine.