Is That Guy on Steroids? How to Know

I care under certain circumstances.

If you are selling me something, using your body as the ad, and don’t disclose a compound I will feel cheated.

1 Like

Agreed, I understand that exception. I was more referring to the overall premise of trying to identify who uses and who doesn’t. I don’t care if some random person is using, it doesn’t effect me.

1 Like

When someone lies to me and passed themselves off as something they are not, it is “my business”. When someone procalimes to be natural, they invite judgment.
As I said, I don’t care what anyone does until they decide to make a statement that invites interest or can cause harm.
Case in point, The Liver King.

I don’t disagree with the overall point, but virtually none of those you listed were living anything like the hunter gather lifestyle advocated by the guy in question. Most of them lived primarily on farming grains. Gladiators were even vegetarian from what I understand. You are looking historically at the wrong timescale for hunter gatherer types. Agriculture is about 10000 years old and any large civilization we know anything about is going to be farming based. Grant it, this largely just means that we don’t know and don’t have a lot of info.

The only one that comes close (though even they are tainted a bit) are the few modern tribes that still exist. But yes, they tend to be lean and reasonably muscular without any lifting.

You may have a point when we’re talking about public figures, and specifically those trying to sell you something based on the physique they have achieved. I think transparency is important there, hence why the Liver King thing is such a big deal.

But in personal life? Absolutely not. Case in point: let’s say you’ve got a friend who’s in a marriage that’s struggling. You ask him ‘hey, how are you and the wife’? And he says ‘we’re fine, no issues’. He lied to you, and he has absolutely no obligation to tell you the truth on that. It’s his personal business. This is how I would view steroid use on a personal level. My friends can tell me whatever they want. PARTICULARLY since there is potential illegal activity involved for users. I don’t expect my friends to tell me they’re breaking the law if they don’t want to.

I happen to be very transparent with my own use, but I wasn’t always, and there were damn good reasons not to be.

4 Likes

I agree with this, as long as my friend then doesn’t keep telling me about his new gym PR’s. LOL

100% agree, what is personal is just that, personal.

1 Like

Maybe we can draw the line at asking vs telling?

If I ask you something that’s none of my business, you’re free to respond however you want.

If you come to me to give me unsolicited information, it’s on you to be truthful.

3 Likes

oh for sure. that’s why I framed the analogy as I did. That’s definitely worth clarifying.

1 Like

Trying to sell you something (supps, training method), agree 100%. That’s false advertising and could be harmful.

But if they are not, and say they are natural, or X, Y or Z, nope, couldn’t disagree more. Not trying to turn this into an online beef, but that’s still none of your business. If some guys juices and tells me he is natural, it’s none of my business whether I asked or didn’t. I don’t care. You used the Liver King, I don’t know who that is but I will take it as a good example from you. Case and point, Christian T. He writes articles about being natural, from nutrition, to supps to training. Do you consider his advice invalidated since he has used in the past? I don’t care personally now many cycles he has done or not done, but those cycles helped him build the physique he posts here on the forum regardless if he has not used or not recently. Anabolics offer an array of benefits that is another discussion.

My overall point being other than what we agreed on, trying to sell you something, if you are looking at someone and trying to determine if they are juicing or not, I find that person to be either very insecure or just jealous. I don’t use, but anabolics don’t make a great physique without hardwork. Anyone can use, not everyone is Arnold, Ronnie Coleman, etc.

In this regard, I’m a big fan of saying “this is what I would do” vs “this is what you should do”. It’s up to the receiver to decide if they want to employ my methods.

3 Likes

I agree 100%.
I will tell you what I think worked for me, even though it might have worked in spite of what I did.

2 Likes

Is it really though ?? Pro bodybuilders get signed up by new supplement companies all the time and advertise / sell that brand using their image. We all know they didn’t get that way from the protein powder. Except Brock Lesnar, Dymatize definitely got him jacked. LOL

2 Likes

Haha, Dymatize.

I guess when you are younger you buy into that but as you get older and gain more experience, you can weed out the fiction.

1 Like

I held Dymatize in very high regard because that was Brock’s supplement company!

I wondered how long it would take for someone to comment. I too thought their stuff was superior but in reality it was crap…LOL

1 Like

What’s the consensus here about Dwayne Johnson?
I’ve seen him catching a lot of flack in recent months for claiming that he doesn’t use AAS; push-back typically coming from couch-potato “sports experts” who seem to think that any well-muscled person must absolutely be on steroids, no ifs-ands-or-buts. They just know.

Johnson doesn’t look, to me, to be a user. His physique isn’t freakish in the least.

How many 48 year olds have you seen in person that look like this?

He’s guarenteed on the sauce.

1 Like

What determines your normal adult bodyweight? When I was 18 I was around 138 lbs and approx 16% bodyfat(no visible abs, ~31” waist). That’s approx 116 lbs lean body mass. Would that be my normal adult bodyweight?

Fixed that for you :joy:

1 Like