T Nation

Is Taking a Multivitamin Necessary?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
do you think there will be worthwhile benefits when you diet is average; pizza, hot dogs, some chicken and fish ish foods…[/quote]
If pizza and hot dogs are part of your “average” diet, you have bigger issues than lacking a multivitamin, especially if you’re trying to “buildsomemuscle.” And what’s a “fish ish food”, some kind of super-processed mash of fish-like substance?

In general, a multi won’t hurt. Worst case scenario, you end up with the classic “expensive urine.” I prefer to stick to a variety of fruits and vegetables (organic and local whenever possible), with a few select vitamins (D, Co Q-10, Rez-V) rather than a kitchen sink multi.[/quote]

This. If that’s your day-in-day-out diet as opposed to crap you eat as filler when you fail to prepare actual food, a multi is the least of your problems, IMO. Eat some damn veggies man.
Seriously.

I would say, given the complete lack of any fruits and vegetables, that you would get more mileage out of a “greens” powder like Superfood or something comparable. Actual plant foods are infinitely more subtle and complex than anything you find in a multi. Cabbage, for instance supposedly has over 10,000 different compounds compared to, what maybe 50 compounds in a multi?

3-5000iu of Vit. D3 is, IMO, the best bang for your buck as far as actual vitamins are concerned. There are other things worth taking, but D’s a good, cheap place to start.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
JF, in your opinion, what are the most common deficiencies people eating a western diet would experience?[/quote]

It’s not opinion, here are some stats :wink:

68% of the population is deficient in calcium, 90% in chromium, 75% in magnesium, 80% in vitamin B6, and 95% in omega-3 fats.

I’m sure the list could be expanded, it’s just one I’ve run across.

oh, and don’t forget Vit D, around 70% of us are deficient there as well… funny how lard which we were told was bad for us has probably the highest amount of Vit D of any food (IIRC).

I’ve been reading alot about copper, iodine, and vitamin K. Seems there might be deficiencies with these nutrients as well.

What are your thoughts on those?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
I’ve been reading alot about copper, iodine, and vitamin K. Seems there might be deficiencies with these nutrients as well.

What are your thoughts on those?[/quote]

absolutely to iodine and K, there’s also intersting stuff coming out about the importance of K2, but I haven’t committed much to memory at this point.

as for copper, I’m not sure.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
http://video.adultswim.com/check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule/doctor-to-doctor-with-dr-boden.html

Ugh, sorry. The embedding code didn’t work.[/quote]
Ha. Nice find. Dr. Bowden actually wrote a few nutrition articles here on the site. Nope, don’t remember seeing corndogs mentioned.

Also, I change my answer. I forgot OP was the binge drinking guy.


So yeah, go ahead and pop a multi. You need all the help you can get.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
http://video.adultswim.com/check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule/doctor-to-doctor-with-dr-boden.html

Ugh, sorry. The embedding code didn’t work.[/quote]
Ha. Nice find. Dr. Bowden actually wrote a few nutrition articles here on the site. Nope, don’t remember seeing corndogs mentioned.

Also, I change my answer. I forgot OP was the binge drinking guy.


So yeah, go ahead and pop a multi. You need all the help you can get.[/quote]

Wait, so you mean that binge drinking while subsisting off hot dogs and pizza is not the best way to buildsomemuscle?

Huh, who knew?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
http://video.adultswim.com/check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule/doctor-to-doctor-with-dr-boden.html

Ugh, sorry. The embedding code didn’t work.[/quote]
Ha. Nice find. Dr. Bowden actually wrote a few nutrition articles here on the site. Nope, don’t remember seeing corndogs mentioned.

Also, I change my answer. I forgot OP was the binge drinking guy.


So yeah, go ahead and pop a multi. You need all the help you can get.[/quote]

I knew you would watch it. I dub you King of Humor.

Ah yes, I have avoided the binge drinking thread. Barfing to me just is not that much fun.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
I dub you King of Humor.[/quote]
Quoted for posterity. :slight_smile:

… so says the pregnant lady. Bummer.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
I dub you King of Humor.[/quote]
Quoted for posterity. :slight_smile:

… so says the pregnant lady. Bummer.


[/quote]

Ha! Classic scene. :slight_smile:

I’ve actually only barfed once. My secret? B6. Yep, B6 helps with nausea. Not sure if that applies to binge drinking though.

which multivitamins are actually safe?

I noticed some of them megadose certain vitamins, I don’t think its natural to be taking 10000% of B vitamins etc.

don’t think more is necessarily better…

I bought some Animal Pak to try, and I’m pretty sure it just makes my piss smell.

[quote]Consul wrote:
I bought some Animal Pak to try, and I’m pretty sure it just makes my piss smell.[/quote]

That’s why they call it “Animal” Pak.

No.

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:
No.[/quote]

U mad?

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:
No.[/quote]

U mad?
[/quote]

well, he did answer the original question :wink:

[quote]seekonk wrote:
If your multivitamin has iron, or much more than 100% RDA of certain vitamins, or saw palmetto, then the answer is no - it may do more harm than good. [/quote]

Why is saw palmetto bad?

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:
No.[/quote]

U mad?
[/quote]

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:
No.[/quote]

U mad?
[/quote]

DYEL?

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:

[quote]Consul wrote:

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:
No.[/quote]

U mad?
[/quote]

DYEL?
[/quote]

[quote]qeynos wrote:
which multivitamins are actually safe?

I noticed some of them megadose certain vitamins, I don’t think its natural to be taking 10000% of B vitamins etc.

don’t think more is necessarily better… [/quote]

B vitamins are water soluble, so toxicity isn’t as much of an issue as with some other vitamins. Not saying that megadoses are necessarily better, though…