T Nation

Is Taking a Multivitamin Necessary?

relative to the cost, do you think there will be worthwhile benefits when you diet is average; pizza, hot dogs, some chicken and fish ish foods, lots of milk, bread, cheese

It really depends on the multivitamin and what your diet is. If all you’re eating is pizza,some chicken, bread and milk then you aren’t getting all your micro-nutrients, however I would suggest trying to clean up your diet and eating healthier rather than going for a pill everyday. However with a relatively good diet there is nothing wrong with supplementing especially to make sure you get enough of your minerals such as zinc and magnesium. Just be sure to get something quality made, not just the cheapest one you find in the grocery store.

Yes, you listed no veggies or fruit or even nuts or eggs

Most Americans are deficient in Vit D, omega-3s, magnesium and a few others to a high degree.

I pay $18 every 2 months for a multi.

Be on the look out for cheap ones that use synthetic forms though, steer clear of folic acid (get folate) and DL-alpha tocopherol, you want D-alpha

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Yes, you listed no veggies or fruit or even nuts or eggs

Most Americans are deficient in Vit D, omega-3s, magnesium and a few others to a high degree.

I pay $18 every 2 months for a multi.

Be on the look out for cheap ones that use synthetic forms though, steer clear of folic acid (get folate) and DL-alpha tocopherol, you want D-alpha[/quote]

What multi do you take JF?

OP, you should definitely clean up your diet. A multivitamin will allow you to get some vitamins and minerals you aren’t getting from your diet, but it would be better to get them straight from the food source i.e. leafy greens, nuts, fruits.

I use Cooper Complete Iron Free, not sure I can post a link. It’s made by the Cooper Institute, they run research studies and use their own supplements, so they’re legit.

my blood work shows this as well.

I am generally on the opinion that it is indeed better to get minerals, vitamins and such from food sources.
But lately i have been thinking how true this really is… I now take a multivitamin which has all the vitamins and minerals we know + phyto-blend (with extracts from LOADS of plants) and an amino acid blend.

I also take a fiber supplement that has fiber from 6 sources + probiotics and prebiotics. On top of that i take a fat supplement with few kinds of fats + extra omega 3 + extra d-vitamin.

If i am taking all of this, how important is it really to get vitamins from veggies???
Couldn’t i just mostly eat meat, eggs, milk, cheese, potatoes and beans and be all set?

So my question is:
If we agree food sources are better.

  1. why is that exactly?
  2. And to what degree??? i mean does it matter THAT much?

EDIT:

I would also like to add that my blood-work is according to my doctor superb and my energy and digestion is great.

EDIT 2:
I’m sorry if this reads poorly but English is my third language. On the other hand the auto-correction thing on this site is awesome!

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
do you think there will be worthwhile benefits when you diet is average; pizza, hot dogs, some chicken and fish ish foods…[/quote]
If pizza and hot dogs are part of your “average” diet, you have bigger issues than lacking a multivitamin, especially if you’re trying to “buildsomemuscle.” And what’s a “fish ish food”, some kind of super-processed mash of fish-like substance?

In general, a multi won’t hurt. Worst case scenario, you end up with the classic “expensive urine.” I prefer to stick to a variety of fruits and vegetables (organic and local whenever possible), with a few select vitamins (D, Co Q-10, Rez-V) rather than a kitchen sink multi.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
do you think there will be worthwhile benefits when you diet is average; pizza, hot dogs, some chicken and fish ish foods…[/quote]
If pizza and hot dogs are part of your “average” diet, you have bigger issues than lacking a multivitamin, especially if you’re trying to “buildsomemuscle.” And what’s a “fish ish food”, some kind of super-processed mash of fish-like substance?
[/quote]

http://video.adultswim.com/check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule/doctor-to-doctor-with-dr-boden.html

Ugh, sorry. The embedding code didn’t work.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I use Cooper Complete Iron Free, not sure I can post a link. It’s made by the Cooper Institute, they run research studies and use their own supplements, so they’re legit.

my blood work shows this as well.[/quote]

http://www.coopercomplete.com/store/detail/170.php

is that what the ones your talking about? I hope i can get it shipped to Norway. and damn, 8 tablets? do you take all 8?

also, by fish ish foods i mean a food that is 44% fish, and the other was basically a burger made partly out of chicken. probably 45% or something, its written on the box.

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I use Cooper Complete Iron Free, not sure I can post a link. It’s made by the Cooper Institute, they run research studies and use their own supplements, so they’re legit.

my blood work shows this as well.[/quote]

http://www.coopercomplete.com/store/detail/170.php

is that what the ones your talking about? I hope i can get it shipped to Norway. and damn, 8 tablets? do you take all 8?

also, by fish ish foods i mean a food that is 44% fish, and the other was basically a burger made partly out of chicken. probably 45% or something, its written on the box. [/quote]

No, I take the ones that the url ends in 175.php it’s their basic one. I also will take a few times per week individual chelated minerals

ah that one is very cheap, still do you think i will see benefit from taking a multivitamin? currently i am already taking something we have in Norway called tran, basically its omega rich in dha vitamin a and d(low amount)

see benefit? Maybe if you have low Vit D levels or some deficiency, it’s a multi though I wouldn’t expect to see changes in 3 weeks or maybe even stuff you will notice.

But, it wure would go a long way in helping your health for the long haul.

JF, in your opinion, what are the most common deficiencies people eating a western diet would experience?

If your multivitamin has iron, or much more than 100% RDA of certain vitamins, or saw palmetto, then the answer is no - it may do more harm than good.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
do you think there will be worthwhile benefits when you diet is average; pizza, hot dogs, some chicken and fish ish foods…[/quote]
If pizza and hot dogs are part of your “average” diet, you have bigger issues than lacking a multivitamin, especially if you’re trying to “buildsomemuscle.” And what’s a “fish ish food”, some kind of super-processed mash of fish-like substance?

In general, a multi won’t hurt. Worst case scenario, you end up with the classic “expensive urine.” I prefer to stick to a variety of fruits and vegetables (organic and local whenever possible), with a few select vitamins (D, Co Q-10, Rez-V) rather than a kitchen sink multi.[/quote]

This. If that’s your day-in-day-out diet as opposed to crap you eat as filler when you fail to prepare actual food, a multi is the least of your problems, IMO. Eat some damn veggies man.
Seriously.

I would say, given the complete lack of any fruits and vegetables, that you would get more mileage out of a “greens” powder like Superfood or something comparable. Actual plant foods are infinitely more subtle and complex than anything you find in a multi. Cabbage, for instance supposedly has over 10,000 different compounds compared to, what maybe 50 compounds in a multi?

3-5000iu of Vit. D3 is, IMO, the best bang for your buck as far as actual vitamins are concerned. There are other things worth taking, but D’s a good, cheap place to start.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
JF, in your opinion, what are the most common deficiencies people eating a western diet would experience?[/quote]

It’s not opinion, here are some stats :wink:

68% of the population is deficient in calcium, 90% in chromium, 75% in magnesium, 80% in vitamin B6, and 95% in omega-3 fats.

I’m sure the list could be expanded, it’s just one I’ve run across.

oh, and don’t forget Vit D, around 70% of us are deficient there as well… funny how lard which we were told was bad for us has probably the highest amount of Vit D of any food (IIRC).

I’ve been reading alot about copper, iodine, and vitamin K. Seems there might be deficiencies with these nutrients as well.

What are your thoughts on those?

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
I’ve been reading alot about copper, iodine, and vitamin K. Seems there might be deficiencies with these nutrients as well.

What are your thoughts on those?[/quote]

absolutely to iodine and K, there’s also intersting stuff coming out about the importance of K2, but I haven’t committed much to memory at this point.

as for copper, I’m not sure.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
http://video.adultswim.com/check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule/doctor-to-doctor-with-dr-boden.html

Ugh, sorry. The embedding code didn’t work.[/quote]
Ha. Nice find. Dr. Bowden actually wrote a few nutrition articles here on the site. Nope, don’t remember seeing corndogs mentioned.

Also, I change my answer. I forgot OP was the binge drinking guy.


So yeah, go ahead and pop a multi. You need all the help you can get.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
http://video.adultswim.com/check-it-out-with-dr-steve-brule/doctor-to-doctor-with-dr-boden.html

Ugh, sorry. The embedding code didn’t work.[/quote]
Ha. Nice find. Dr. Bowden actually wrote a few nutrition articles here on the site. Nope, don’t remember seeing corndogs mentioned.

Also, I change my answer. I forgot OP was the binge drinking guy.


So yeah, go ahead and pop a multi. You need all the help you can get.[/quote]

Wait, so you mean that binge drinking while subsisting off hot dogs and pizza is not the best way to buildsomemuscle?

Huh, who knew?