T Nation

Is Supplemental HGH Suppressive?

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I was curious whether or not HGH supplementation works the same way as T supplementation in the sense that your body down regulates its own production in the presence of elevated levels.

I understand that even low, therapeutic doses of T such with minimal HRT T gel, your body basically stops producing its own T. This is also the case with most AAS to a certain degree.

Is it the exact same story with HGH. Just curious after reading some stuff about life-extension people taking HGH as HRT.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The feedback loop is sensitive to IGF-1. And for a 5 on 2 off cycle, the IGF-1 levels can be above one’s baseline after two days off. So expectations of normalizing once a week may be unsupportable. I have seen the opinions that 5&2 are more about cost saving than anything else.

Would there be a big difference in negative feedback/downregulation between the two different cases of (1) supplementation that brings levels considerably above individual’s natural levels as young adult, and (2) for example, a 45y/o guy only bringing his levels back up to where they were when he was 25?

[quote]vkn1 wrote:
Would there be a big difference in negative feedback/downregulation between the two different cases of (1) supplementation that brings levels considerably above individual’s natural levels as young adult, and (2) for example, a 45y/o guy only bringing his levels back up to where they were when he was 25?[/quote]

I think that one key point is that the older guy has a much lower GH/IGF-1 setpoint. So restoring to the levels of a 25y/o would be repressive to that lower setpoint.