T Nation

Is Starting Strength the Right Choice?

I’ve been training for about a year and a half, but only seriously for the last 3 months or so. I’ve basically designed my own program which in hindsight wasn’t a good idea. I’m just wondering if a program like starting strength would be something to consider even though I’m not really a beginner considering I’ve been training for the better part of 18 months.

training for 18 months still mean your a beginner. especially considering you weren’t lifting serious at that time.

SS is not really a “beginner” program, its just marketed that way, its just bill stars 5x5. its very simple and easy to follow and provides the proper lifting foundation that is extremely important at the beginner level. But even intermediate lifters can make good gains using the 5x5 template.

ive been training for three years, and i still run a 5x5 just before rugby season, due to all the conditioning im hardly ever at a caloric surplus during preseason weeks, but still get consistent strength gains.

in your situation, do SS, eat right, dont try to push too much weight in the first weeks and burn out, don’t add anymore volume or extra lifts. with your level, you can expect a lot out of it. my first shot at SS put 100lb on my squat(up to 365).

and don’t to GOMAD