Is Splitting My Leg Training into 3 Days a Bad Idea?

Yes, it’s true… 2 deadlifts and 2 squats is a LOT in just a week… But they’re such good exercises, I can’t just take them out…

Same, I want to rock a crazy Multifidus.

1 Like

I’ve trained my get away sticks just about every way imaginable and was successful in building up to a 405lbs squat naturally. I’ve trained heavy every single day working up to a single of 90-95% (or failure which sucks & and is likely counterproductive), I’ve used varying styles of squat to build my quads (safety bar squats, Hatfield’s, Jeffersons, box, chains, bands, reverse bands, front squat, zombie squat, overhead squat, Bulgarian split squat, belt squat it goes on & on), I’ve varied rep and set schemes to pack in volume- you name it I’ve just about tried it.
Not every venture I set about was a success. Training heavy every day hurt my joints and burned me out; probably cooked my CNS. What was successful for me was volume and that’s basically what you’re talking about doing here. Squatting heavy working up to a heavy triple or double, adding in a back off set or two, or if I’m really feeling psycho hit a 20 rep at the end then move on to some accessory work in which I vary the intensity, sets, & reps. I can manage this twice a week and Saturdays usually include a leg “pump” workout before doing some form of cardio or strongman style workout. Trial and error will probably be the only way for you really know what will work for you specifically. I wouldn’t go into it with a hard set mentality of sets and reps and percentages because you’ll find yourself burning out or sacrificing form just to get the numbers. Be willing to adjust things as you go, record your workouts for comparison and progression, and listen to your body. Oh and make sure you’re well fed, you’ll need it.

You were right. After over 2 weeks, it did beat me down bad too. Simply too much heavy compound movements in a week, especially considering the fact that I have to do them in a row sometimes too. I think I will drop the Sumo Deadlift and the Glute day altogether. I will add more Hip Thrusts in the week.
It’s simply too much strain on the legs for a drug-free lifter. I’ll stick with the 2 Leg Days in a week like I did before and focus more on my upper back and shoulders, which recover much faster.

Better to learn yourself. Sticks better that way. I would say maybe alternate sumo and trap bar deadlifts week to week to get the benefits of both.

If you want extra leg training and are craving 6 days a week, sticking to 1 main, 1 accessory movement a day and alternating upper and lower could be a more reasonable total volume. Also maybe one day with a less heavy main movement. 10-50 reps based on % of 1RM for the main, 50-200 reps based on load for the accessory. Days like such, for example:

Front Squat
Lunge

Overhead press
Cable or chest supported row

Trap bar or Sumo deadlift
Back raise or GHR or Reverse Hyperextension

Incline/decline bench or parallel bar dips
Pullups or chinups

Lunge
Leg curl or leg extension or back raise or GHR or Reverse Hyperextension

Barbell Row
Pushups or dips

Then fill in ab, lateral delts, biceps, calves, etc., as desired. Just keep their volume and intensity low enough to not effect upcoming training.

2 Likes

A guy at the 24 I go to does something similar and he’s pretty damn strong. He does something like:

Day 1 - Bench Press, Chin Ups
Day 2 - Front Squat, Deadlift
Day 3 - Dips, DB Rows
Day 4 - Back Squat, RDL
Day 5 - Push Press, Pull Ups
Day 6 - BB Lunges, GHR

And just fills in his the rest of the day with accessories. He does basically what you said lol.

2 Likes