Is Some Cardio Better Than None?

I work second and third shift. I don’t have alot of time for my workouts as of late. I get about an hour a day. I’m getting decent results on this but I can’t seem to squeeze in cardio. I usually have about 5 - 10 minutes left after the workout.

Is 5 - 10 minutes of cardio better than nothing? or should I just not bother?

Any cardio is good. Fact they are now saying that 10 minutes three times a day is as good as thirty minutes straight. If you are trying to loss weight you would be needing a continuous workout. However to exercise the heart and lung anything is better than nothing. If the engine doesn’t work nothing else will. Have fun and do what you can!

[quote]yogaroots wrote:
I work second and third shift. I don’t have alot of time for my workouts as of late. I get about an hour a day. I’m getting decent results on this but I can’t seem to squeeze in cardio. I usually have about 5 - 10 minutes left after the workout.

Is 5 - 10 minutes of cardio better than nothing? or should I just not bother? [/quote]

In terms of improving cardiovascular fitness, 5 minutes isn’t going to do much. If you want to burn a few calories, then go for it. I assume you’re not weight training every day, so why not do cardio on your off day?

You could try extra squats …3x16 range with lower weight. Or do them straight through. That will give you some cardio and tone as well

Anything is better than nothing but if you only have 5-10 minutes and you are already warmed up try something intense like tabatas. That will get your metabolism cooking.

try tabata intervals - takes only 4 minutes!

search this site for article by Dan John…

Chiming in right behind lil. A lot of my cardio workouts after weights only last 5-10 minutes. Just amp it up with some form of interval as lil has stated.

Yes it is worth it if you have time for it, go for it!

Just reading streamline’s thread (Need for Speed) counts as at least 20 minutes of cardio. :slight_smile:

I run a lot of sprints, they have really picked up in the last 6 months. Try to run a few 100’s and 200’s outside.

Or, once a week you can do something similar like the 300 workout (Google it). I’ve been doing that 1-2x a week for the last 6 months, and have gotten excellent results with that as well.

Finally, I’ll also hit the rowing machine HARD for like 10-15 minutes after some weight workouts, that gets your heart pumping.

Good luck.

Hell ya brother, use what you got when you get it…

solid

They’ve done studies of aerobics and if you do 1 40 minute session or two 20 minute sessions or 4 10 minute sessions… it gives you the same benefits. So if you sneak a little in here and there, it’s good.