T Nation

Is Sodium Nitrite a Realistic Concern?

http://www.totalhealthbreakthroughs.com/2007/12/processed-meats-declared-too-dangerous-for-human-consumption/

"The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has just completed a detailed review of more than 7,000 clinical studies covering links between diet and cancer. Its conclusion is rocking the health world with startling bluntness: Processed meats are too dangerous for human consumption. Consumers should stop buying and eating all processed meat products for the rest of their lives."

What are your thoughts?

I stopped eating nitrite containing foods (found nitrite free bacon ftw) a couple of years ago over more generalised concerns about food preservatives. I haven't bothered to spend too much time looking into it, but I don't see how cutting out chemically preserved meats could hurt you, know what I mean? It's not that hard to make your own lunch meat.

Ah, yeah I have pizza 1-2 times a week that's about the only time I eat processed meat. I guess outside of that I'll avoid it.

Can't say I'm surprised by the findings.

I've had nitrate free bacon. I like it. I don't really understand it, as the thought the process was sort of what made bacon bacon.

No real shock there, I've been sticking with veggie lovers pizza when I do indulge anyways!

but shouldn't preservatives help us live longer?

Ok which should I give up first? A. Salami, B. Cigarettes?

The bacon I buy is uncured smoked bacon from a butchershop. It looks like ham and it smells like wood smoke, has zero nitrates and tastes better than anything, ever.

It might not be free of nitrites/nitrates. I was buying nitrite-free bacon (occasionally), till I read in Cooks Illustrated that the celery juice (etc) they use to preserve it is simply a natural form of nitrate.

I absolutely love smoked foods and have a feeling that the smoke isn't exactly health-promoting. Wood smoke is full of toxic stuff.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.