T Nation

Is Slow-Cooked Oatmeal Better?

is slow-cooked oatmeal any better than microwaved oatmeal?

nutritional? No. Although they may digest insignificantly slower than rolled oats. You might prefer the taste.

Are you asking about cooking methods or different types of oatmeal?

i think he meant steel cut oats to rolled oats.

Cooking methods, my friend heard that slow-cooking oatmeal is better than microwaving oatmeal, and I didn't agree, just wanted to see if I was right so I'm asking you guys

I don't think you'll find any credible research to show a difference.

Even if you did it wouldn't keep me from nuking my oats, however. It's so much quicker and I don't want to spend my time standing at the stove.

o, disregard my last statement. slow cooking oats over microwave seems to make it more creamier.

There are QuickOats and "regular speed" oatmeal, then there are steel cut oats, all in order of speed of prep. The difference in QuickOats and regular oats is from 30 seconds (boiling water takes longer!) to about 3-4 minutes for regular oats. Steel cut really need to be soaked over night before cooking them up, then they take about 3-4 minutes of actual cooking time.

So you just need to decide how fast you want your oatmeal.

I realize that, I was just wondering if there is any health benefit to slow-cooking them on the stove rather than microwaving them

oatmeal is oatmeal. cooked on a stove or cooked in a microwave, there is zero difference. stop nitpicking and lift something heavy.

I never understood the idea of slow cooking oats. I buy Quaker whole oats and find that just stirring in hot water and letting them sit for a minute is best for texture. Why would you want to cook it down into a mush? Wouldn't that actually "pre-digest" them and raise their GI?

Well, to each his own I guess.

can someone please explain to me the fascination with the GI of foods around here? it been known that the GI of an individual food hasn't been relevant to anything (fat loss or muscle gain) for years now.

word

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the all around micro-managing many people seem to do with their diets.

Similar to how people still seem to think that all complex carbs are good and all sugars are bad.

Once you start eating different foods together, many of the "rules" get thrown out the window.

"Old Fashioned" oatmeal digest slower than instant oatmeal from what I understand. I perfer the texture of instant over the other. I also like to time my workouts 2-3 hours after i eat it.

I believe that you need low gi carbs pre-workout to provide sustained energy and fast digesting high gi carbs post-workout to replenish glocogen. I don't see how you can just say that it is irrelevant to fat loss and muscle gain.

So you eat icecream (low GI) before a workout and carrots (high GI) after a workout?

my point is that when eating a mixed meal (one containing protein, carbs, and fats) the GI of any one particular food becomes entirely irrelevant. Furthermore, many studies have shown that given controlled calories, a diet containing primarily low GI carbs offers no fat loss advantage over a diet containing primarily high GI carbs.

In the end, knowing the GI (or glycemic load) of foods is only useful for those with blood sugar problems (i.e. diabetics) but as far as it's applications to healthy, exercising individuals, its worthless.

It's definitely not worthless. There are a hundred variables you are not considering.

Surely you can accept that:

Low GI + Protein + Veg < High GI + Protein + Veg

in terms of glycemic load.

If you can't, well, I rest my case.

The rate of digestion is determined at the slowest step. Honestly, do you think 2 slices of white bread vs 2 slices of wheat bread + 2 cups of broccoli +protein +animal fat will have any significant deviation in digestion speeds?

One of the problems with your argument is that once you consume that high-GI, carb-heavy food with protein and vegetables it may no longer have a high GI effect.

Likewise, combining the low-GI carb source with protein and vegetables may cause it to have a higher GI than it otherwise would.

Many people don't take this into consideration because they are so hung up on the details (minutia) of everything they eat. In other words, they fail to look at the big picture.