Is Seagal for Real?

I know Seagal is legit in the world of Aikido. Is he becoming an influence in MMA? Both Silva and Machida are singing his praises.

What do you think?

i dunno… if he was showing them techniques that were his speciality, it would make sense, but i think both those guys are pretty phenominal strikers. i’m kind of surprised they’re giving him credit for what they’ve prolly already been masters at for years.

who knows, though… i don’t see what they have to gain by making it up.

Actually no, it’s a pure marketing strategy, Joinha(AS and Lyoto’s manager) told them to hook up with Seagal to have more appeal with the American Audience, it’s a shame the guy is a douche and keep saying that he invented the front kick and his techniques that retired Randy Couture.

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
Actually no, it’s a pure marketing strategy, Joinha(AS and Lyoto’s manager) told them to hook up with Seagal to have more appeal with the American Audience, it’s a shame the guy is a douche and keep saying that he invented the front kick and his techniques that retired Randy Couture.

[/quote]

In this vid Silva is clearly paying attention to Seagal.

I like the mix of techniques here.

AS is a guy who can never be taken as serious on his interviews/video stuff, if you think he really absorbed something from Seagal you are delusional.

And AS like to pay attention even to bullshit so he can add to his arsenal.

AS is a guy who can never be taken as serious on his interviews/video stuff, if you think he really absorbed something from Seagal you are delusional.

And AS like to pay attention even to bullshit so he can add to his arsenal.[/quote]

If it’s in Silva’s arsenal then I’d don’t consider it “bullshit.” That entry to the choke is a sweet move, part Aikido part effective.

And, by the way, no need to get insulting with the delusional comment. I’d assume you can objectively discuss the techniques shown.

And AS like to pay attention even to bullshit so he can add to his arsenal.[/quote]

i don’t think you quite understand Seagals background. this guy was one of the few if only white americans to actually teach in japan. do you know how good you have to be for japanese guys to take a white guy seriously, to teach in their home country. years ago, when seagal would hold seminars, guys from around the world would come to see him. regardless of what you think of his movies(in my opinion, some of the best action movies ever made) he is one of the highest ranked aikido practitioners in the world. watch some of his videos when he was in japan teaching. how smooth and explosive he is.

Do you really think machida and silva need a near 60 yr old, no longer making prime time movies, except for Machete, that was a main movie. do you really think those world class fighters need him for anything to appeal to america. get real dude. if that was the case, he would just come at the night of their fight and walk down the isle with them. instead he flies down to them spends days with them training with them. do you really think Silva would bow to seagal and call him Sensai if he didn’t take him serious. machida and silva are very proud men, they don’t need him or anyone else for some gimick.

i don’t think you quite understand Seagals background. this guy was one of the few if only white americans to actually teach in japan. do you know how good you have to be for japanese guys to take a white guy seriously, to teach in their home country. years ago, when seagal would hold seminars, guys from around the world would come to see him. regardless of what you think of his movies(in my opinion, some of the best action movies ever made) he is one of the highest ranked aikido practitioners in the world. watch some of his videos when he was in japan teaching. how smooth and explosive he is.

Do you really think machida and silva need a near 60 yr old, no longer making prime time movies, except for Machete, that was a main movie. do you really think those world class fighters need him for anything to appeal to america. get real dude. if that was the case, he would just come at the night of their fight and walk down the isle with them. instead he flies down to them spends days with them training with them. do you really think Silva would bow to seagal and call him Sensai if he didn’t take him serious. machida and silva are very proud men, they don’t need him or anyone else for some gimick.[/quote]

I agree. The use of the word sensei has great meaning and I think it was done by Silva with great respect. Guys like Silva and Machida wouldn’t use those words lightly.

All Seagal had to do was fuck the sensei’s daughter in order to teach in japan, his biography is full of bullshit, just search google.

[quote]Josann wrote:
I know Seagal is legit in the world of Aikido. Is he becoming an influence in MMA? Both Silva and Machida are singing his praises.

What do you think?[/quote]

I think Seagal is as crazy as a shithouse rat. He said in an interview:

‘I was born clairvoyant, I was born a healer’ and ‘well I really shouldn’t say this on camera but (I’m) sort of a God’…some people just know. They look into my eyes, they hear my voice and something just clicks’

Having said that, I wouldn’t tell him to his face.

Lyoto and Anderson give him props. That tells me he knows some shit.

As always the reality is probably somewhere in the middle. He’s probably trying to get some publicity for himself by associating himself with top MMA guys. At the same time, he probably has a few things to share wrt the arts.

They give him props because Joinha told them to do so in order to better connect with the American audience

[quote]Josann wrote:
In this vid Silva is clearly paying attention to Seagal.

I like the mix of techniques here.[/quote]

Nice video. It’s always a pleasure to watch Seagal instructing or showing off some his badass Aikido techniques. And lol @ ‘don’t call me coach. Call me Sensei’.

Lol

They give him props because Joinha told them to do so in order to better connect with the American audience [/quote]

I am waiting for them to show up in one of his latest direct to dvd movies. Something just doesnt add up. It seems like it is a way to get publicity for him and they must get something out of it.

Isn’t this the guy who claimed he couldn’t be choked out (as he had inhuman control over his chi) and then proceeded to poop and piss his pants at the feet of Gene Lebell?

[quote]Stern wrote:
Isn’t this the guy who claimed he couldn’t be choked out (as he had inhuman control over his chi) and then proceeded to poop and piss his pants at the feet of Gene Lebell?
[/quote]

Yes he did. He sat down and said he couldnt be choked out and he was. Thats Ki for you. They think it gives them super human powers but its just a cool concept like the force in star wars.

All Seagal had to do was fuck the sensei’s daughter in order to teach in japan, his biography is full of bullshit, just search google.[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google

I know that’s not what you meant, but that’s how I read it.

Didn’t he have a confrontation with Van Damme back in the day but he chickened out of the fight because he was scared of JCVD? A Seagal in his prime scared of Van Damme? Not that legit to me. I`d say maybe Jackie Chan would fair better in a real fight.

Bas Rutten’s take…