Is Sauna/Steam/Hot Tub Hurting Gains?

:rofl:

Love you too big guy!

Really though, if my presence here is a concern for you, you should contact the mods and have me banned. Just tag them using the @ followed by their name.

And if you click on the little heart icon you can even see who liked it.

1 Like

Both @wanna_be and @SkyzykS basically said the same thing: having lived lives full of lifting/sports/manual labor, their bodies are used to work and don’t get sore all that often.

I feel the same way. If I take a break from lifting, then my first week back or so, I’ll be sore. If I’m consistent, I rarely get sore unless I do some new movement or something that hits a muscle in a way that I normally don’t.

Some people have mentioned being sore all the time due to extremely challenging programs, but I don’t think not being sore necessarily means that you’re not trying hard enough.

1 Like

Please, J, you’re a good dude with a bright future.

Don’t listen to trolls like me. It will only bring you sorrow. :frowning:

But then who do I talk to about the mushrooms growing on the tree in the backyard?

1 Like

:man_shrugging: I dunno. I guess you’re gonna have to run that stuff past Hrdlvn now.

Sorry man.

@wanna_be my experience of DOMs is that I get it bad when I train in a new way or if I train dehydrated. That’s about the only things that cause much DOMs for me.

1 Like

It’s like how you can do a epic leg and back day and be fine then go skiing the next week and your legs, glutes, back and arms feel like death.

Aint no muscle coming from going skiing unless you are completely untrained.

Anyway, Stronger by Science has an article on DOMS which explains everything anyone would want to know about DOMS and more but here is the gist:

Soreness can provide some insight, but don’t use it as a marker for a good workout. High levels of soreness indicate the lifter has exceeded the capacity for the muscle to undergo repair. Indeed, soreness can impede the ability to train properly, and it may decrease motivation.

2 Likes

You may be experiencing so much DOMS due to having to constantly bear the weight of that massive chip on your shoulder.

9 Likes

For real though, if you have any questions about stuff like that, don’t hesitate to hit me up. I’d be glad to help.

I think there is a lot of nuance needed to discuss this. Age, if you are older, you will likely be more sore. Hormones, when I was bottom of the range (like right on the line), I was sore a lot more. On TRT, with levels just at or slightly above range, I hardly get sore anymore. Training, doing bro splits will probably make you more sore than higher frequency, but less total work per muscle group per workout. Nutrition, calorie deficit seems to make being sore more likely. Sleep, less sleep results in the same as nutrition. Partying after a workout can result in soreness. I am sure I am leaving out a lot here. Just some observations.

I don’t think DOMs is necessary to get stronger / bigger. If I take a week off, I will have DOMs upon return. After that period, I am usually free of DOMs, or any serious DOMs. I might be able to flex a quad, glute, tricep, and tell that they are a bit sore.

@T3hPwnisher please show me once where I ever started anything negative on this forum. Responding to a troll comment or some smart alec post is not a chip.

No thanks dude :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Probably in the post he directly replied to, which as a reminder, looked like this:

2 Likes

And that was in response to this post. You did not find it a bit sarcastic? SkyzykS and I have had run in in the past I don’t know why he posts in my threads. I don’t in his for that very reason.
SkyzykS

12h

Yeah. I’ve gotten doms for the first week upon return to lifting, and only then, for my entire lifting life, so 40 years.

Unfortunately, I’ve only been training with weights and for sport since I was 9, so take this all with a grain of salt.

I do it out of love bro. Sweet, sweet dirty love. The kind most people have to pay for, but since you took a disagreement with someone else which developed into understanding and adopted it as your own problem I’m just trying to remedy your inconsolable butt hurt the only way I know how, which is to build some calluses.

:wink: I’m sure you like that, don’t ya, “Hrdlvn”!

I suspect this is the missing element for me. Your post seemed to me to go from 0-60 really quick.

He’s still yelping like a kicked dog from something that he wasn’t even part of in a thread a couple weeks ago.

Or a previous username. I dunno.

@dagill2 you are correct I should have just ignored the post. I don’t know why I let this guy get to me.

I hope we can get this thread back on topic.
The question being does using the gyms sauna, hot tub, and or steam room slow muscle growth?

No, because the pump isn’t necessary for growth.

I thought that saying disappeared in the '80s. Like wanna_be already linked to, DOMS isn’t necessary for growth, either. You can jump rope for 10 minutes barefoot on concrete and your calves, shins, and ankles will be in a world of hurt, but you’re not getting more benefit than if you hadn’t made pain the goal of training.

Fair point. I don’t remember Skyz starting any essential reading like What Should I Wear To The Gym?

No, but aim for a half-hour or less…

2 Likes

This is me, and I find it humiliating as well as painful. I spend how much time (on average, still on my break) running and climbing the treadmill along with the weights? And the first climb up a gently rounded Eastern mountain every spring leaves me crippled.

As for workout DOMS, I’m in the when-I-start-back-up or do-something-new camp. Otherwise I go to failure and only rarely have DOMS.

Actually, @SkyzykS is one of the best-liked posters in this community. I’m not sure how the two of you have gotten so sideways with each other. It’s unfortunate, because he’s kind and funny and you seem a good guy, too.

1 Like