Is Rib Cage Expansion Possible?

“Arnold Schwarzenegger did a lot of things wrong. He performed endless sets of leg extensions thinking that he was “cutting up” his thighs. He believed that pullovers would spread the rib cage and pull-ups would widen the shoulder girdle by spreading the scapulae. He used the broomstick twist to “trim” his waist. He even did cheat curls.”

• Resurrecting the Oak, Part I
    Arnold’s favorite training principles
    By Chris Shugart

Followed Stuart Mcroberts advice in “Further brawn” by doing breathing pullovers and it worked to my suprise! Made more of a difference to chest depth than width for me.

would highly recommend checking this out. Might not work for every one and Mcrobert admits this, but still helps one stretch and warm down at the end of a workout as well as stimulate the lymph system. Give it a try for 4-6 weeks.

[quote]philipj wrote:
Age 63. Some time ago I had a young lady, not watching where she was walking run into my back. I caught her as she fell. As she walked away she told her girl friend "Wow! That was like waslding into a brick wall.
[/quote]

That’s an awesome story. Made everything you picked up in the last 63 years worth every second too, didnt it?

It’s always the unexpected comments that kick the most ass. Keep layin those bricks, Phil…

Kubo

[quote]superhero#1 wrote:
“Arnold Schwarzenegger did a lot of things wrong. He performed endless sets of leg extensions thinking that he was “cutting up” his thighs. He believed that pullovers would spread the rib cage and pull-ups would widen the shoulder girdle by spreading the scapulae. He used the broomstick twist to “trim” his waist. He even did cheat curls.”

• Resurrecting the Oak, Part I
    Arnold’s favorite training principles
    By Chris Shugart
    [/quote]

Oh, so that settles it then.

Re: the original question - I tried it (thanks to S. McRobert) and I’m certain that it worked. However I think it will only work in teens, when one’s connective tissue is a bit more pliable. Oh yeah, and it fucking hurt and is probably dangerous.

But if deep breathing is the cause of rib cage expansion in high-reps squatting, then it follows that every activity that requires deep breathing is positive for its expansion. For example, uphill biking would be just as useful.

In case someone is interested - the topic was discussed here as well:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1028057

You could look at people with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) The develop barrel chests due to lung hyperinflation. You can see the lung expansion on xrays.

One guy (on here) told me that the barrel chest was because they could not exhale completely. But why does their chest stay “barreled” even after they are deceased?? Their ribs have been expanded and stay that way.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
You could look at people with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) The develop barrel chests due to lung hyperinflation. You can see the lung expansion on xrays.

One guy (on here) told me that the barrel chest was because they could not exhale completely. But why does their chest stay “barreled” even after they are deceased?? Their ribs have been expanded and stay that way. [/quote]

Their lungs aren’t exactly “inflated” and it isn’t because of “hyperinflation”. They can’t get enough air and they lose any space in their lungs for reserve. Their lungs lose elasticity causing them to remain in a more static state. Less air gets in and less air goes out. They develop that “barrel chest” because they can’t get enough air, not because they suddenly expanded their rib cage. That is why their chest stays in that condition…because their lungs can’t go back to their original state. It is a lung issue, not particularly a “rib cage” issue.

So for my diaphragm problem, I’m going to continue losing fat, and continue deep breathing interval training. I’ll check out the Stuart Mcroberts stuff with caution.

Coming at it another way, is there a way to pull the diaphragm down by developing the abs in some way? I would much rather do that than surgery.

Seanile

Good posts, Mykayl. I forgot there are cartilages in the ribcage.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ocn2000 wrote:

One guy (on here) told me that the barrel chest was because they could not exhale completely. But why does their chest stay “barreled” even after they are deceased?? Their ribs have been expanded and stay that way.

Their lungs aren’t exactly “inflated” and it isn’t because of “hyperinflation”. They can’t get enough air and they lose any space in their lungs for reserve. Their lungs lose elasticity causing them to remain in a more static state. Less air gets in and less air goes out. They develop that “barrel chest” because they can’t get enough air, not because they suddenly expanded their rib cage. That is why their chest stays in that condition…because their lungs can’t go back to their original state. It is a lung issue, not particularly a “rib cage” issue.[/quote]

That sounds plausible, but even if the lungs are removed post mortem during an autopsy or medical dissection, the ribcage does not just “fall back into place” once the unelasticlung tissue is removed. The ribs don’t expand suddenly either, it is a process that takes many years and does not happen in all COPD patients. There are many variables, and even causes of COPD in the first place.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ocn2000 wrote:

Their lungs aren’t exactly “inflated” and it isn’t because of “hyperinflation”. They can’t get enough air and they lose any space in their lungs for reserve. Their lungs lose elasticity causing them to remain in a more static state. Less air gets in and less air goes out. They develop that “barrel chest” because they can’t get enough air, not because they suddenly expanded their rib cage. That is why their chest stays in that condition…because their lungs can’t go back to their original state. It is a lung issue, not particularly a “rib cage” issue.

That sounds plausible, but even if the lungs are removed post mortem during an autopsy or medical dissection, the ribcage does not just “fall back into place” once the unelasticlung tissue is removed. The ribs don’t expand suddenly either, it is a process that takes many years and does not happen in all COPD patients. There are many variables, and even causes of COPD in the first place.
[/quote]

Are you asking why a dead person’s muscles don’t contract like a living person’s?

It’s because they’re DEAD. Not all cases of COPD even result in this. Most cases I have seen also involve obesity with regards to a “barrel chest”. That would imply some force from the diaphragm.

You don’t need muscular contraction to retract your rib cage. Exhalation is largely a passive action. Sure you can forcefully exhale, but it is not neccesary. This is exemplefied on a patient that has been paralyzed with a neuromuscular blocking agent (ie, no muscular contractions) such as norcuron. When you “bag” the patient with an ambu bag or artificial airway, you push the air in (inhalation). You don’t have to suck it out (exhalation). The exhalation is passive unless there is something blocking the airway. Sure, not ALL the inspired air comes out without forceful exhalation. What is left is your reserve capacity to provide PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure) and keep the alveoli open. I have worked with many ventilator patients and bagged/coded enough patients to have seen this in action many times.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/barrel-chest/AN00359

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
You don’t need muscular contraction to retract your rib cage. Exhalation is largely a passive action. Sure you can forcefully exhale, but it is not neccesary. This is exemplefied on a patient that has been paralyzed with a neuromuscular blocking agent (ie, no muscular contractions) such as norcuron. When you “bag” the patient with an ambu bag or artificial airway, you push the air in (inhalation). You don’t have to suck it out (exhalation). The exhalation is passive unless there is something blocking the airway. Sure, not ALL the inspired air comes out without forceful exhalation. What is left is your reserve capacity to provide PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure) and keep the alveoli open. I have worked with many ventilator patients and bagged/coded enough patients to have seen this in action many times.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/barrel-chest/AN00359[/quote]

I know, I must have typed too fast before.

COPD means the airways are STIFF. They won’t EVER…eva eva eva eva go back to the way they were before they got all STIFF if the patient dies. While you continue to think this is because of the rib cage, I guess I’ll keep typing how this is a LUNG ISSUE until it sticks. Without muscular control, why would you think the lungs would expel air suddenly like healthy lungs and get smaller? If they did that…THE PERSON WOULDN’T HAVE COPD.

I first tried pullovers when I was 21, with a kind of “try it, you’ll like it” attitude. As somebody previous mentioned, it hurt like hell, and it resulted in me being able to crack my sternum like a knuckle, something that never happened to me before. This new crack was especially prevalent on heavy chest days.

Did my rib cage expand? don’t know. But it did cause something I’ve never experienced before. I still do them occasionally for a change of flavor, with no more than a sixty pound dumbell.

I know what COPD is. The issue is not whether it is a lung disesase (which it is). But a real world example of a “ribcage expanding”. Which is what the OP wanted to know was possible. I feel that based on observation during my medical carreer, I feel it is possible.

The likely hood that you could do it with weights, or how long it would take I have no idea. Just the simple fact is that the ribcage can be forced to expand regardless of the exact physiology behind COPD.

[quote]duke wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:
higher reps do indeed build more muscle.
Resistance being the same, higher reps with weight x will build more muscle than lower reps with the same resistance. It was in Mens Health too!!!

In Men’s Health eh, then it’s a fact :slight_smile:

Like your avatar BTW.[/quote]

That avatar is a pic of Barney just before a PR deadlift lockout.

[quote]ocn2000 wrote:
I know what COPD is. The issue is not whether it is a lung disesase (which it is). But a real world example of a “ribcage expanding”. Which is what the OP wanted to know was possible. I feel that based on observation during my medical carreer, I feel it is possible.

The likely hood that you could do it with weights, or how long it would take I have no idea. Just the simple fact is that the ribcage can be forced to expand regardless of the exact physiology behind COPD. [/quote]

If I asked if spot reduction was possible would you give me an expose’ on liposuction? Rib cage expansion is also probably possible if you stuck an air compressor in somebody’s mouth and forced excessive air volume into their lungs, but you can’t really believe this is what he was asking.

rib expansion is absolutely possible.
inhale. ribs expand.